Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #43

Equalizer

All around I think this is the best bang for the buck. I am so impressed with Todd up in customer support. I may move to a ProPride some day but right now for our 30 ft Airsteam have had no problems.

Well one problem. Dealers not using the torque wrench to reach 430 ft lbs of specs. And no 1/2 inch impact reaches that.

They also do not always check the bar saddle bolt torque. They arrive to tight need to be backed off and torqued to 60-62 ft lbs.
hforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2021, 10:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbarton View Post
Hi. looking for recommendations/suggestions/thoughts about sway elimination weight distribution hitch. Towing a 2015 Forest River Salem - dry weight 6700# plus 1100# of gear - I am at 7800#. Towed with a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi Ext. cab with weight distribution hitch. HORRIBLE sway. Used Add on sway controller, that made it worse. Now have a 2015 Ford F150 Super crew 5.0 V8. Same deal The sway, especially with ANY wind is horrid. Are there any sway elimination hitches out there that don't cost 2k?
Check out a Pro Pride hitch. Eliminates trailer sway completely. I towed a 35' Rockwood Windjammer with a 3.5 EB F150 with the max tow package for tens of thousands of miles with no sway with a Pro Pride hitch. I towed in 35 mph crosswinds across mountain passes with one hand on the wheel. I've towed with F350's and F250's and the new F150's are more than capable of towing large trailers. They hitch is expensive, but what's your safety worth? And the customer service is second to none. The president and owner of the company, along with the staff, is available to answer questions and any problems that you might have. Check out the Pro Pride page on Facebook where you'll find hundreds of satisfied owners of this hitch. https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...-control-hitch
OafDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbarton View Post
Hi. looking for recommendations/suggestions/thoughts about sway elimination weight distribution hitch. Towing a 2015 Forest River Salem - dry weight 6700# plus 1100# of gear - I am at 7800#. Towed with a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi Ext. cab with weight distribution hitch. HORRIBLE sway. Used Add on sway controller, that made it worse. Now have a 2015 Ford F150 Super crew 5.0 V8. Same deal The sway, especially with ANY wind is horrid. Are there any sway elimination hitches out there that don't cost 2k?
If you’re having major sway issues, look at how you’re loading the trailer. It’s important to have more weight in front of the axles than behind. Your trailer is well within spec, so weight distribution is the most likely culprit. Id also add airbags and a compressor, speaking from experience….you’ll thank me later after seeing your ride quality improve drastically. Check out this YouTube on trailer sway https://youtu.be/i2fkOVHAC8Q
GordInWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:48 AM   #46

Sway reduction

I use a combination weight redistribution/sway control hitch from Reese (dual cam) that cost about $400 three years ago. I tow 26 foot Look trailer with tandem wheels with a 2011 F150 Supercrew EB with max trailer tow package. Trailer plus Harley plus Jeep plus gear is about 9000 lbs. Just got back from Taos with high winds between Taos and Phoenix. Essentially no sway below 70 mph.
David55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #47

My trailer is about the same weight and 32 ft long and I have a Dodge 2500 extended cab long bed. Now when you talk about sway, is the trailer fishtailing like back and forth or when a wind gust hits you and you get some sway then you correct with steering and you are back straight?

I get some of the second part of the question but nothing bad and I do have sway control with one friction bar along with WD hitch. The tires on the pickup and trailer are all 10 ply and aired up to 75 psi, 80 psi is the max but I give a little headroom for tires heating up and increasing the tire pressure. I'm sure the pickup by itself makes a big difference vs 1500, there is no way I would try to take a trip with 1500 pulling my trailer. Heck, if I have enough side wind/gusts it will move the pickup some because it has a camper shell.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #48

Gooseneck.

A tow-vehicle such as your pickup connected to a bumper-pull trailer is two separate vehicles.

A truck with a fifth-wheel -- or in our case, a gooseneck -- tends to unify the vehicles because the pivot is closer to the center-of-mass of each vehicle.
Of course, proper weight distribution reduces/eliminates sway.
Some suggest a certain percentage -- 20%?, 35%? -- of trailer weight must be carried in front of the trailer axle(s).
This's my experience, as well.
Unfortunately, this can over-load the hitch and tow-vehicle rear-axle.
By weighting the rear-bumper *down*, the front-axle is teetered *up*... lessening steering control.

However, I recommend against attempting to travel with gusty cross-winds.
We live in our rigs... let's sit this one out!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #49

anti-sway

When using anti-sway on your ford f-150 you need to turn off your vehicles anti trailer sway control in your vehicle. It made huge difference in our f-150.
laura6846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura6846 View Post
When using anti-sway on your ford f-150 you need to turn off your vehicles anti trailer sway control in your vehicle. It made huge difference in our f-150.
I don't think this is a good idea. I would rather have the truck's electronic sway control than the sway control provided by a hitch.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:06 AM   #51

On my 2015 Silverado with the HD tow package and integrated brake controller, the braking system will recognize the trailer sway and automatically adjust the trucks braking to try and eliminate the sway. If sway continues, it will start to apply the trailer brakes.

I've never been in this situation, so I cannot attest to it's operation.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #52

anti-sway

We had an equalizer wdh installed on our 2015 ford f-150. Installer told us to disable trucks anti-sway function. When I forget to do so when towing the difference is so noticeable that I take the first exit to correct. The truck function must be disabled each time truck is restarted (thus easy to forget). Evidently, the truck and your anti-sway device fight each other.
laura6846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch