Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #15

The problem with oversteer is that you may never experience it, but if you ever have to make a sharp emergency turn it can cause your trailer can jackknife. The Hensley is bad because it extends the distance from the axle to the articulation point by almost 2', giving the trailer much more leverage to push the rear of your tow vehicle around. The 200 lb weight makes it even worse.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #16

I have had great service out of the Blue Ox sway Pro.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #17

Thank you

Thank you for all the answers and suggestions. My weights are accurate as I went over the scale with truck and trailer both to make sure I was within my GCWR. I have told my husband that this camper is just too heavy for my truck. (Either one of them!) We had a 27 foot, 4700# Pioneer prior and it was just fine. Since a 2500 truck isn't in the picture (just bought the Ford) I am thinking that a smaller camper is the way I am heading, much to my dislike. Thanks again to all who posted. Appreciate it a lot.
bestbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Have you ever used a Hensley style hitch? I have and have no clue what you're talking about.
Pretty sure this is the same guy that also swears that all weight distribution hitches are worthless and unsafe, yadda yadda yadda...

I've run multiple types of WDH's, including a Propride. They each have their place, but I agree with others that you likely have too little truck, too much trailer and likely not enough tongue weight as a fraction of trailer weight.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:58 AM   #19

'move on' has a good point. He is basically saying you do not want to swerve when towing a travel trailer. This makes good sense. I am trying to condition my mind set that if I am towing a trailer and a deer jumps out in front of me the best thing I can do is go straight and do not swerve. Sure I will have front end damage to the truck if I hit a deer but at least I will not flip over.

'move on' says a WD hitch makes swerving more dangerous. For all I know he is correct.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:40 AM   #20

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbarton View Post
Hi. looking for recommendations/suggestions/thoughts about sway elimination weight distribution hitch. Towing a 2015 Forest River Salem - dry weight 6700# plus 1100# of gear - I am at 7800#. Towed with a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi Ext. cab with weight distribution hitch. HORRIBLE sway. Used Add on sway controller, that made it worse. Now have a 2015 Ford F150 Super crew 5.0 V8. Same deal The sway, especially with ANY wind is horrid. Are there any sway elimination hitches out there that don't cost 2k?

Get rid of the cute little 1/2 ton truck and get a truck that will control the trailer or get rid of the rv and find something else to do.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:23 AM   #21

Here's my last weights from using one of the Oregon scales that're always on even when they say closed.
Front 4700
Rear 4750
TT 8100
Ram SRW 3500 Diesel
TT 31' 9600 lbs loaded. 1350+/- lbs TW.
Blue Ox sway pro.
I'll keep using a WDH because I like the way the truck handles.
Without it the TT and truck are like a giant teeter totter.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:54 AM   #22

4 load rang E tires on the truck , side wall pressure on the trailer tires and possibley a higher load range trailer tires.

almost all of the new hitches set up correctly should be able to control the trailer . The hensley arrow or the new model from hensley is the top of the best , but the price is my issue with it.

One of the guys I work with is very happy with his Anderson . I have never use that hitch. He said compared to his friction hitch did do much to stop sway. He was towing with a crew cab 150 and a very short bed. His payload on the truck was a round 1200lbs so its not much of a truck. His trailer is about 5200lbs. The truck has a 5.4l and is a 2008 , Now he has F350 crew 8' bed with a 6.4L diesel and the truck laughs at that trailer. His F150 made him not want to pull the trailer now he doesn't care how far or where. My point is same trailer different towing experience with just a truck upgrade. At 7000lbs your topped out with 1/2 ton and a long trailer just adds to the problems. longer heavier truck is be biggest change you can make but you can make your 1/2 ton better with some changes .

trailer shocks helps with stability , up graded shocks on the truck will help regardless of the miles on the OEM. Tire load range E on the truck and NOT mud tires or really aggressive tread. michelin LTX defender is my suggestion. AS for the hitch a properly set up hitch that keeps the weight on the front axle of the truck should be stable to the point your able to pull it at 65mph and be near a large truck.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Get rid of the cute little 1/2 ton truck and get a truck that will control the trailer or get rid of the rv and find something else to do.
Golly gee -thanks for the advice. Had hoped that I wouldn't get that kind of "tone" here on this forum, but i guess it is everywhere.
bestbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbarton View Post
Golly gee -thanks for the advice. Had hoped that I wouldn't get that kind of "tone" here on this forum, but i guess it is everywhere.
^Sadly it is.^

Indeed, a heavy 2500 would be ideal, but since you have a poor combination, and the truck is staying, yes, find a lighter, well balanced trailer.

Charles
Old 05-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
The problem with oversteer is that you may never experience it, but if you ever have to make a sharp emergency turn it can cause your trailer can jackknife. The Hensley is bad because it extends the distance from the axle to the articulation point by almost 2', giving the trailer much more leverage to push the rear of your tow vehicle around. The 200 lb weight makes it even worse.

You have absolutely no clue about how a Hensley or ProPride work. They move the pitch point forward to approximately the location of the truck axle, not backwards as you suggest. They eliminate sway and make the rig easier to control in emergency situations. If you experienced a problem with a Hensley or ProPride it was probably due to improper installation and setup.
I say that it will be the best 3K you ever spent, however, it appears that the Op is definitely trying to pull much more than he should with a 1/2 ton truck.
Molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:28 PM   #26

Sorry. You're wrong. A Hensley will jackknife much easier than a simple ball hitch. Ask Hensley for an understeer test report. You'll see.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Sorry. You're wrong. A Hensley will jackknife much easier than a simple ball hitch. Ask Hensley for an understeer test report. You'll see.

Not.
Molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #28

Quote:
I owned a Hensley for about 8 years it was a fantastic hitch.
I would not hesitate a moment to buy another if I were to go back to a bumper pull.
This oversteer you speak of is a non issue.
Lantley is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch