Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How far do you expect to tow said 5th wheel and how often? SRW trucks towing a big 5th wheel can be a bit squirrelly.
Absolut nonsense. 5th wheels are the most stable to tow and a dually is not required.
__________________
Just say no to the "payload" police.
Gr8bawana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 06:12 PM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
I would disagree. I would use the GVWR as you will be closer to that than dry weight by the time you are ready to camp. Plus that should be your worst case number.
Well, using GVWR will definitely get you a crap ton (official measurement term) of safety buffer. Nothing wrong with that.
When looking at new RVs I always look at dry weight as a starting point. At least that is a real measurement as it comes off the line that can be used to compare different RVs . GVWR can vary wildly between models and brands based on the compromise between engineers, marketing, and sales (just like payload ratings on trucks).
None of my RVs have ever been even remotely close to GVWR when actually weighed when loaded for extended boondockiing. But everybody packs differently.
So start with the real dry weight of an RV and add what you expect the increase will be. For me, it's usually about 1000lbs including a 55 gallon fresh tank which is about half the CC. Easy and pretty accurate.
Then I use that number to estimate pin weight of 20% even though most of my fifth wheels have been around 15% pin weight.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:18 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Well, using GVWR will definitely get you a crap ton (official measurement term) of safety buffer. Nothing wrong with that.
When looking at new RVs I always look at dry weight as a starting point. At least that is a real measurement as it comes off the line that can be used to compare different RVs . GVWR can vary wildly between models and brands based on the compromise between engineers, marketing, and sales (just like payload ratings on trucks).
None of my RVs have ever been even remotely close to GVWR when actually weighed when loaded for extended boondockiing. But everybody packs differently.
So start with the real dry weight of an RV and add what you expect the increase will be. For me, it's usually about 1000lbs including a 55 gallon fresh tank which is about half the CC. Easy and pretty accurate.
Then I use that number to estimate pin weight of 20% even though most of my fifth wheels have been around 15% pin weight.
Unless and until you get a full camping weight on your trailer, I would not make that statement. Stuff adds up and you would be surprised how much everything adds up. Dry weight = no batteries, no propane tanks, no propane, empty holding tanks, and anything the dealer adds (either through options or just what dealers add vs manufacturers including batt and propane) all adds into that GVWR. If you have a trailer with 2k of ccc, you will hit that number quicker than you expect.
__________________
2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW Megacab 4wd 3.73
2022 Riverstone 42FSKG | Pullrite Superglide 2315
Airlift 7500XL Airbags w Wireless One Compressor
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
Unless and until you get a full camping weight on your trailer, I would not make that statement. Stuff adds up and you would be surprised how much everything adds up. Dry weight = no batteries, no propane tanks, no propane, empty holding tanks, and anything the dealer adds (either through options or just what dealers add vs manufacturers including batt and propane) all adds into that GVWR. If you have a trailer with 2k of ccc, you will hit that number quicker than you expect.
Guess you missed the part where I actually know what my weights are and actually understand what all different weight designations mean. I have a scale on the farm. Have you ever actually weighed your RV?
You do you. I know what works for me.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:03 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Guess you missed the part where I actually know what my weights are and actually understand what all different weight designations mean. I have a scale on the farm. Have you ever actually weighed your RV?
You do you. I know what works for me.
What does what you do have to do with my statement? It stands, using GVWR, for most people, is going to be a better estimate of reality than dry. I was not replying to how you do you, but how others might do themselves. Not that it is important to the topic,but yes, I have weighed all of my RVs. I do not full time in them, but still come closer to GVWR than dry weight in ALL of them, so I couldn't imagine being nearer to dry weight if I were actually full timing in mine as you say you do in yours.
__________________
2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW Megacab 4wd 3.73
2022 Riverstone 42FSKG | Pullrite Superglide 2315
Airlift 7500XL Airbags w Wireless One Compressor
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 03:13 PM   #34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
What does what you do have to do with my statement? It stands, using GVWR, for most people, is going to be a better estimate of reality than dry. I was not replying to how you do you, but how others might do themselves. Not that it is important to the topic,but yes, I have weighed all of my RVs. I do not full time in them, but still come closer to GVWR than dry weight in ALL of them, so I couldn't imagine being nearer to dry weight if I were actually full timing in mine as you say you do in yours.
Well, this getting ridiculous. I have no idea what your goal is or even if you comprehend what you read. You replied to my posts specifically. Oh, and I never said anything about full timing.
I have seen you in other forums (at least the same moniker) and your behavior is the same. Good thing there is an ignore option.
Happy RVing!
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:09 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
jacknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,461
I have an SRW a 14 and now a20Ram and tow 15 k 5th wheel loaded . Have pulled it for 10 years everywhere . The high tensile strength combined with a box frame makes for a solid ride . Your trailer is pretty light for 42í mine is only 35 so you have much more mass and less weight when dealing with wind . You can put a Moryde X factor under you trailer it goes across a bolt on bar or bars l have 3 on mine the saves your hanger brackets and definitely stiffen up your frame and suspension. While you are at it put their wet bolt kit on . Good luck .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:57 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Well, this getting ridiculous. I have no idea what your goal is or even if you comprehend what you read. You replied to my posts specifically. Oh, and I never said anything about full timing.
I have seen you in other forums (at least the same moniker) and your behavior is the same. Good thing there is an ignore option.
Happy RVing!
Whatever. Please do ignore me, and any other darrellr you feel the need to. I felt I was being respectful and honest. If you can point out something factually wrong that I said, please do.


I will walk back the full timing comment. I really thought you had said that in your living on a farm post, but clearly your post does not say that. Other than that, what else is wrong with what I said?
__________________
2021 Ram 3500 HO DRW Megacab 4wd 3.73
2022 Riverstone 42FSKG | Pullrite Superglide 2315
Airlift 7500XL Airbags w Wireless One Compressor
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:11 AM   #37
Community Moderator
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 29,112
THREAD WARNING

Letís knock off the bickering. Points have been made. Letís move on.
__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
2016 London Aire 4519, Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISX, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Blue Ox Avail with AF1. TST 507 TPMS
No amount of money can buy you an extra second of time.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:29 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Steve Rankin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Posts: 213
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
A 1655# pin weight on a 44' 5th wheel? Seriously?

I'll wager that 3,000# is more likely to be the actual pin weight (22% of 13,600#).

Which is scary close to the 3,350 payload of the F350 you're talking about. Not much room for two people and the weight of a hitch, much less carrying anything else in the truck.
The, there is the issue of the sail area with a large trailer. A 44' trailer that weighs only 13,000# is going to be a lot more lively than the more traditional 18,000# trailer that size.







Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
1st post here. I am wondering if sway will be a problem with my future purchase.

I'm looking at a:
tow: f350 diesel Tremor with guesstimated 3350 payload on the sticker
5er: 44' Arctic Wolf with 1655 pin weight, 13700 GVWR, 10800 UVW

I am pretty sure I'll be well within safe limits for payload, rear axle, etc. even after loading up the trailer.

What I'm not sure about is how bad it will sway with a SRW? 20 years ago, I reduced trailer sway on a 35' Coachman using a friction sway bar. However, that trailer was shorter and lighter and a sway bar is easy to mount. I'm not sure how 5er's handle sway.

Will it be a problem in moderate winds? Are there devices like sway bars to reduce it? Or should I focus on a DRW and the PITA of driving in town with a tank?
__________________
Steve & C. J.
2008 Carriage Cameo 32SB2; 2019 Ram 3500 6.7L HO
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lake St Louis, MO
Posts: 11
I have a 42' Vengeance (Forest River) 5th wheel toy hauler - with side x side loaded weights 17,000 lbs. I pull it with a 2015 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7L diesel. In 2021 we traveled about 34,000 miles, in 2022 about 25,000 miles. That included the western and eastern continental divides. No issues with handling. No sway - very stable in crosswinds
billgburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:30 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Steve Rankin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Posts: 213
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
Note the 17K# is your friend in the stability issue.



Quote:
Originally Posted by billgburns View Post
I have a 42' Vengeance (Forest River) 5th wheel toy hauler - with side x side loaded weights 17,000 lbs. I pull it with a 2015 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7L diesel. In 2021 we traveled about 34,000 miles, in 2022 about 25,000 miles. That included the western and eastern continental divides. No issues with handling. No sway - very stable in crosswinds
__________________
Steve & C. J.
2008 Carriage Cameo 32SB2; 2019 Ram 3500 6.7L HO
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 224
Wow that is a light 5er for the length. My 31' is 10,000/14,000. I've never had a problem with my RAM 3500 srw. But length may effect the tail wagging the dog.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 48
Hi all. I pull a 43' 5er with an SRW F350 with the 6.7 liter engine. I do so using an Anderson hitch vs a standard fifth wheel. There are times I have to look in my mirrors just to make sure my trailer is still there. It pulls and follows that well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How far do you expect to tow said 5th wheel and how often? SRW trucks towing a big 5th wheel can be a bit squirrelly.
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
f350, problem, sway



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F350 SRW, DRW or a F450 EricinMN Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 23 02-28-2015 07:44 PM
Ford F350 DRW v. SRW? JerryHooper Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 10 11-20-2014 08:43 PM
2013 F350 SRW is built, out for delivery in Ky Genset Powerstroke Engine Forum 5 05-01-2013 01:13 AM
F350 Lariat 4x4 PSD SRW LB towing 5er question Fla2RI Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 23 12-08-2008 09:22 AM
Opinions on drivetrain options for F350 SRW 6.0l? garyoNC Truck Camper Discussion 21 07-12-2005 05:23 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.