Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How far do you expect to tow said 5th wheel and how often? SRW trucks towing a big 5th wheel can be a bit squirrelly.
Absolut nonsense. 5th wheels are the most stable to tow and a dually is not required.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 06:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellr View Post
I would disagree. I would use the GVWR as you will be closer to that than dry weight by the time you are ready to camp. Plus that should be your worst case number.
Well, using GVWR will definitely get you a crap ton (official measurement term) of safety buffer. Nothing wrong with that.
When looking at new RVs I always look at dry weight as a starting point. At least that is a real measurement as it comes off the line that can be used to compare different RVs . GVWR can vary wildly between models and brands based on the compromise between engineers, marketing, and sales (just like payload ratings on trucks).
None of my RVs have ever been even remotely close to GVWR when actually weighed when loaded for extended boondockiing. But everybody packs differently.
So start with the real dry weight of an RV and add what you expect the increase will be. For me, it's usually about 1000lbs including a 55 gallon fresh tank which is about half the CC. Easy and pretty accurate.
Then I use that number to estimate pin weight of 20% even though most of my fifth wheels have been around 15% pin weight.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Well, using GVWR will definitely get you a crap ton (official measurement term) of safety buffer. Nothing wrong with that.
When looking at new RVs I always look at dry weight as a starting point. At least that is a real measurement as it comes off the line that can be used to compare different RVs . GVWR can vary wildly between models and brands based on the compromise between engineers, marketing, and sales (just like payload ratings on trucks).
None of my RVs have ever been even remotely close to GVWR when actually weighed when loaded for extended boondockiing. But everybody packs differently.
So start with the real dry weight of an RV and add what you expect the increase will be. For me, it's usually about 1000lbs including a 55 gallon fresh tank which is about half the CC. Easy and pretty accurate.
Then I use that number to estimate pin weight of 20% even though most of my fifth wheels have been around 15% pin weight.
Unless and until you get a full camping weight on your trailer, I would not make that statement. Stuff adds up and you would be surprised how much everything adds up. Dry weight = no batteries, no propane tanks, no propane, empty holding tanks, and anything the dealer adds (either through options or just what dealers add vs manufacturers including batt and propane) all adds into that GVWR. If you have a trailer with 2k of ccc, you will hit that number quicker than you expect.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Unless and until you get a full camping weight on your trailer, I would not make that statement. Stuff adds up and you would be surprised how much everything adds up. Dry weight = no batteries, no propane tanks, no propane, empty holding tanks, and anything the dealer adds (either through options or just what dealers add vs manufacturers including batt and propane) all adds into that GVWR. If you have a trailer with 2k of ccc, you will hit that number quicker than you expect.
Guess you missed the part where I actually know what my weights are and actually understand what all different weight designations mean. I have a scale on the farm. Have you ever actually weighed your RV?
You do you. I know what works for me.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Guess you missed the part where I actually know what my weights are and actually understand what all different weight designations mean. I have a scale on the farm. Have you ever actually weighed your RV?
You do you. I know what works for me.
What does what you do have to do with my statement? It stands, using GVWR, for most people, is going to be a better estimate of reality than dry. I was not replying to how you do you, but how others might do themselves. Not that it is important to the topic,but yes, I have weighed all of my RVs. I do not full time in them, but still come closer to GVWR than dry weight in ALL of them, so I couldn't imagine being nearer to dry weight if I were actually full timing in mine as you say you do in yours.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:13 PM   #34

Quote:
What does what you do have to do with my statement? It stands, using GVWR, for most people, is going to be a better estimate of reality than dry. I was not replying to how you do you, but how others might do themselves. Not that it is important to the topic,but yes, I have weighed all of my RVs. I do not full time in them, but still come closer to GVWR than dry weight in ALL of them, so I couldn't imagine being nearer to dry weight if I were actually full timing in mine as you say you do in yours.
Well, this getting ridiculous. I have no idea what your goal is or even if you comprehend what you read. You replied to my posts specifically. Oh, and I never said anything about full timing.
I have seen you in other forums (at least the same moniker) and your behavior is the same. Good thing there is an ignore option.
Happy RVing!
Old 02-02-2023, 10:09 PM   #35

I have an SRW a 14 and now a20Ram and tow 15 k 5th wheel loaded . Have pulled it for 10 years everywhere . The high tensile strength combined with a box frame makes for a solid ride . Your trailer is pretty light for 42’ mine is only 35 so you have much more mass and less weight when dealing with wind . You can put a Moryde X factor under you trailer it goes across a bolt on bar or bars l have 3 on mine the saves your hanger brackets and definitely stiffen up your frame and suspension. While you are at it put their wet bolt kit on . Good luck .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Well, this getting ridiculous. I have no idea what your goal is or even if you comprehend what you read. You replied to my posts specifically. Oh, and I never said anything about full timing.
I have seen you in other forums (at least the same moniker) and your behavior is the same. Good thing there is an ignore option.
Happy RVing!
Whatever. Please do ignore me, and any other darrellr you feel the need to. I felt I was being respectful and honest. If you can point out something factually wrong that I said, please do.

I will walk back the full timing comment. I really thought you had said that in your living on a farm post, but clearly your post does not say that. Other than that, what else is wrong with what I said?
Old 02-04-2023, 12:11 AM   #37
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
THREAD WARNING

Let’s knock off the bickering. Points have been made. Let’s move on.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:29 PM   #38

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
A 1655# pin weight on a 44' 5th wheel? Seriously?

I'll wager that 3,000# is more likely to be the actual pin weight (22% of 13,600#).

Which is scary close to the 3,350 payload of the F350 you're talking about. Not much room for two people and the weight of a hitch, much less carrying anything else in the truck.
The, there is the issue of the sail area with a large trailer. A 44' trailer that weighs only 13,000# is going to be a lot more lively than the more traditional 18,000# trailer that size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
1st post here. I am wondering if sway will be a problem with my future purchase.

I'm looking at a:
tow: f350 diesel Tremor with guesstimated 3350 payload on the sticker
5er: 44' Arctic Wolf with 1655 pin weight, 13700 GVWR, 10800 UVW

I am pretty sure I'll be well within safe limits for payload, rear axle, etc. even after loading up the trailer.

What I'm not sure about is how bad it will sway with a SRW? 20 years ago, I reduced trailer sway on a 35' Coachman using a friction sway bar. However, that trailer was shorter and lighter and a sway bar is easy to mount. I'm not sure how 5er's handle sway.

Will it be a problem in moderate winds? Are there devices like sway bars to reduce it? Or should I focus on a DRW and the PITA of driving in town with a tank?
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:22 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
I have a 42' Vengeance (Forest River) 5th wheel toy hauler - with side x side loaded weights 17,000 lbs. I pull it with a 2015 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7L diesel. In 2021 we traveled about 34,000 miles, in 2022 about 25,000 miles. That included the western and eastern continental divides. No issues with handling. No sway - very stable in crosswinds
billgburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:30 PM   #40

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
Note the 17K# is your friend in the stability issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgburns View Post
I have a 42' Vengeance (Forest River) 5th wheel toy hauler - with side x side loaded weights 17,000 lbs. I pull it with a 2015 Ford F350 SRW, 6.7L diesel. In 2021 we traveled about 34,000 miles, in 2022 about 25,000 miles. That included the western and eastern continental divides. No issues with handling. No sway - very stable in crosswinds
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #41

Wow that is a light 5er for the length. My 31' is 10,000/14,000. I've never had a problem with my RAM 3500 srw. But length may effect the tail wagging the dog.
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:44 PM   #42

Hi all. I pull a 43' 5er with an SRW F350 with the 6.7 liter engine. I do so using an Anderson hitch vs a standard fifth wheel. There are times I have to look in my mirrors just to make sure my trailer is still there. It pulls and follows that well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How far do you expect to tow said 5th wheel and how often? SRW trucks towing a big 5th wheel can be a bit squirrelly.
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, problem, sway