Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2023, 06:17 PM   #43

Towed 15,000 lb 5er with a ram single 3500. It was very stable even in high cross winds. I now own a 40' DP and I do miss the way that truck and 5er handled.
wirenut1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2023, 11:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Light pin weight can make for a miserable towing experience. A friend has a 37 or 38 foot 5er that is a normal weight trailer, not a light weight and his pin weight is closer to 17 or 18% of the trailer GVWR. It will beat you to death on a road that did not both our trailer and truck. My advice is not trying to go light on the pin weight just to get into a smaller truck. Get a truck suitable for the weight rating on the trailer as well as the cargo capacity to carry the pin weight and passengers.

Ken
Why does 17/18% pin weight beat you to death? My limited knowledge of 5ers was that the design pin weight percentage was 15-25%. With bumper pull trailers I always try to centralize the weight over the axles and then make sure I have enough weight on the tongue to stop bucking. Is there a perfect pin weight percentage?
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:29 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I'm looking at a:
tow: f350 diesel Tremor with guesstimated 3350 payload on the sticker
5er: 44' Arctic Wolf with 1655 pin weight, 13700 GVWR, 10800 UVW

That Tremor Package is fine for off-roading and can be OK for Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull
5th wheel........gonna be bit different due to 'height' of truck, nose high 5vr and LIGHT pin weight
Bed rail clearance, getting 5vr to tow level (hitch/pin box adjustments/sub-frame on 5vr)

As for that 44' 5th wheel
10800/UVW with 1655 dry pin is only 15%
13700 GVWR at 15% wet pin is only 2055#
That is a very light pin weight ratio-----better if 22% and 5rv level

Light pin, length, nose high and raised truck.......not good tow combo for 5th wheel
I believe a loaded Tremor is 1.5 inches higher at the bed rails than a non-lifted F350. I'm assuming the height difference is primarily due to the 35" vs 32" tires once the springs are loaded. A 1.5 inch higher hitch increases the angle to the axle by something like 0.25 degrees. That seems awfully small.
Can that be corrected by adjusting the kingpin? Does it even need to be corrected? I'm at that stage where I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Thanks in advance.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
I believe a loaded Tremor is 1.5 inches higher at the bed rails than a non-lifted F350. I'm assuming the height difference is primarily due to the 35" vs 32" tires once the springs are loaded. A 1.5 inch higher hitch increases the angle to the axle by something like 0.25 degrees. That seems awfully small.
Can that be corrected by adjusting the kingpin? Does it even need to be corrected? I'm at that stage where I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Thanks in advance.
The Tremor's are higher due to suspension; it's not just the tires. They are great trucks for light offroad use but the package compromises towing albeit not by that much compared to some (ie. a Ram Powerwagon). .....it's the age old issue of people wanting lift kits and big tires on their tow vehicles because they perceive that they look "cooler".

Dave
Old 02-06-2023, 07:40 PM   #47

Hello. 1st time posting here so hope I get it right. I have a 2022 F350 SWB diesel Tremor and pull a 2021 35' Solitude 310gk 5th wheel. It is a little heavier than what you listed.

I had most recently pulled it from Phx Arizona through Brekenridge Colorado to Twin Falls Id and back. No problems whatsover. The truck is a beast and has no trouble with the weight or sway.

I did the research before buying this truck and was comfortable with the choice. Another benefit is havi g the ability to enjoys trails when not hooked up. It is a heavy truck but handles well. You will love it!
rglover4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 08:13 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
You get light on the pin on a 5er, you can easily get to a porpoising effect, chucking or bucking.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:55 AM   #49

Too light of pin weight will also cause the front of the trailer to try and walk from side to side, much like tt sway but at the front of the trlr instead of the rear.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8bawana View Post
Absolut nonsense. 5th wheels are the most stable to tow and a dually is not required.

While it is true that 5th wheels are by design the most stable for towing, conditions can make them unstable.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
While it is true that 5th wheels are by design the most stable for towing, conditions can make them unstable.
Alrighty then! Very broad, unclear statement. Like what conditions? Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods? If your fifth wheel is unstable you either don't have something set up correctly, faulty equipment, or you are in very unusual conditions.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:51 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Alrighty then! Very broad, unclear statement. Like what conditions? Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods? If your fifth wheel is unstable you either don't have something set up correctly, faulty equipment, or you are in very unusual conditions.
Or not enough truck to carry the pin weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:57 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Too light of pin weight will also cause the front of the trailer to try and walk from side to side, much like tt sway but at the front of the trlr instead of the rear.
Got to admit, that statement about front side to side movement is a first for me. And 'light' pin weight is very subjective. Most of my fifth wheels and goosenecks have around 15%. Some are less. Folks say that isn't enough, you need 20 to 25%. I say BS. For my particular truck and trailers, it is just fine and pull very well.
Care to elaborate on your side to side statement?
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Got to admit, that statement about front side to side movement is a first for me. And 'light' pin weight is very subjective. Most of my fifth wheels and goosenecks have around 15%. Some are less. Folks say that isn't enough, you need 20 to 25%. I say BS. For my particular truck and trailers, it is just fine and pull very well.
Care to elaborate on your side to side statement?
I imagine the poster is indicating what most people call porpoising.
darrellr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:37 PM   #55

Not porpoising, with a very light pin weight the trailer will basically have the reverse of sway that a tt has and move side to side at the pin. I have towed multiple trailers that other people have loaded and have experienced it. Not likely to happen to most people.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Not porpoising, with a very light pin weight the trailer will basically have the reverse of sway that a tt has and move side to side at the pin. I have towed multiple trailers that other people have loaded and have experienced it. Not likely to happen to most people.
Interesting, I have never heard of that or experienced it, but I suppose with a light enough pin with enough weight behind the axles of the trailer it could make sense.
darrellr is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, problem, sway