Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #29

When going through populated ares on multi lane interstates use the middle lane or one lane over from the merge/off ramp lane if traffics kinda thick.

When I rode motorcycles a lot and going through city's along freeways I always rode in the far left lane. Too many people need the off ramp at the last minute and if they don't see you they'll take you out trying to leave the freeway. And why get stuck in the cluster (!!) of slow drivers trying to merge onto a fast moving freeway.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #30

I am seeing most ST tires are now speed rated for 75mph and the GY Endurance is 87mph. That is plenty to stay with the right lane traffic.

If you can not stay up with right lane traffic you need a bigger truck. Having a parade of semi trucks moving over to pass you really disrupts the flow of traffic and is an accident waiting to happen imho.

I had that happen to me on a 300 mile trip. A parade of commercial trucks passing me . That was not fun. It was a lot better when I could blend with the flow of the right lane traffic.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #31

I don't think driving 70+ MPH is necessary. I typically drive anywhere between 60 to 65 MPH most of the time, sometimes 68 or so if conditions are right.

If people aren't smart enough to pass me they can just suck it up and stay behind. If people are passing me and I feel like that's making me lose control, THEN it's time for a bigger truck!

There is no way speding more solves sway issues. The faster one goes makes it amplify the sway problem.

FWIW most of our speed limits up here are 100km/h or 62MPH. Semi trucks must be speed-limited at 105km/h max!
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #32

Dude - that is kinda self centered.

But if speed limits are 100KPH that is a good speed.

Agree speed causes sway. But I am not saying drive faster than right lane traffic. But try to keep up with right lane traffic.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Agree speed causes sway. But I am not saying drive faster than right lane traffic. But try to keep up with right lane traffic.
What is self-centered?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #34

Quote:

He is correct about the speed like it or not. The push/pull from large trucks can be worse if the tension on the WDH is high. This causes a loss of grip at the rear TV tires for the amount of lateral force that’s being applied to them. It’s subtle but it’s enough to cause steering of the TV not made by the driver. Technically it’s called tire slip angle. The higher the tension on the WDH the higher the slip angles at the rear tires. Only use the amount of FALR % (Front axle load recovery) the vehicle manufacturer recommends.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #35

Driving to slow and to heck with everyone else to me is self centered.

I have been that guy. Driving too slow in the right lane. It was not fun. All I am saying is keep up with right land traffic. I am not saying go crazy fast just right lane traffic.

I stand by that - if you can not stay with right lane traffic you should be using secondary roads or get a different (bigger) truck.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #36

Quote:

I have been that guy. Driving too slow in the right lane. It was not fun. All I am saying is keep up with right land traffic. I am not saying go crazy fast just right lane traffic.

I stand by that - if you can not stay with right lane traffic you should be using secondary roads or get a different (bigger) truck.
My opinion differs from yours. When someone is saying everyone needs to drive fast enough to suit MY taste, THAT is self-centered. I don't knowingly hold up 50 people on single lane roads. I will pull over and let them pass. On 2 or 3 lane highways, there are 1 or 2 passing lanes for the people that are always in a rush. If they can't figure out how to use the lanes that's their problem.

On highways up here with 100 km/h max speed, the minimum speed is 60 km/h, so that means if an old guy like my 84 year old dad wants to run at 36 MPH in the right lane he can do it, legally! Do I feel 36 MPH is a good idea on the highway, no. I have done it a few times though when towing an iffy or heavy load for shorter distances.

Secondary roads are not always the safer bet and up here can mean a huge detour.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My son-in-law had a Tundra and initially pulled a 30 foot TT that was well within the tow ratings. He quickly decided that even with the correct hitch set up, it was not a fun tow. He bought a 3/4 ton F250 crewcab and is much happier.

The 1/2 ton trucks are just not enough truck to control a 30 foot trailer. You get the tail wagging the dog. My experience shows 26 foot is about the maximum you want to tow with a 1/2 ton truck that is equipped with the tow packages.

With a TT you will get some push pull as a larger vehicle passes you just due to the nature of the bumper pull. Speeding up to keep semis from passing you is not good advice. Stay over in the right lane and keep an eye out on your left mirror. When you see a truck approaching, drift over to the right to get a little more distance between you and the passing truck.

Most TT's come with tires that have a 65 mph speed rating, so speed is not the answer. We run at 63 to 65 mph with our big 5er.

Ken
Yea I can’t go over 65mph. 65 is my limit and at that speed 18wheelers will pass me.
Test drove a f250 yesterday just have to go back and figure out pricing. Wish me luck.
plopes138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:47 AM   #38

The price of a F-250 is going to he like all trucks. You will have a crazy range of prices from 55k for a gas powered truck to 80k for the top of the line diesel. But there is a lot of pricing overlap with the F-150 as I think you can pay 70k for top of the line F-150.

Good luck as the final negotiations is never fun.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:02 AM   #39

Its fun buying vehicles, especially when you start yelling and they usher you into the back.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #40

Quote:

There's also the fact that right lane traffic speed can differ depending on geography. In a city with a lot of local drivers, I notice that not only is average traffic faster (more commuters) but also the whole passing lane concept can fly out the window, with people entering the freeway and exiting a few miles down the road so they just keep on flying in the right lane. And lots more weavers. Sometimes the middle lane effectively becomes the right lane for people passing through, including the semis. Also partially due to the merging and avoiding that mess. But more often than not, at least in my area, the 3 lanes are a free-for-all until you get out of the city and there's really no "keeping up with right lane traffic." Doesn't really change your point, just thought I'd throw that out there, because some areas of the country the freeways are mostly city driving and don't really have "right lane traffic."
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #41

I agree going thru a city is a free for all. I will try to anticipate and pick the most comfortable lane. Once out of the city I will settle behind a tractor trailer and drive for hours that way. What ever speed the commercial truck is going I stay behind it.

If the truck gets in the center lane to pass a slower truck then I try to follow suit.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #42

Quote:
I agree going thru a city is a free for all. I will try to anticipate and pick the most comfortable lane. Once out of the city I will settle behind a tractor trailer and drive for hours that way. What ever speed the commercial truck is going I stay behind it.

If the truck gets in the center lane to pass a slower truck then I try to follow suit.
You actually tolerate all the buffeting from a semi?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote