Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

Tahoe or Expedition

Well, as some of you know I overbought the TT. Which means my Traverse needs to go. The Tahoe seems like the obvious choice to me. But reading reviews of the Ford Expedition makes me want to go test drive it first. My problem is that the Tahoe has a V8 and the Expedition only has a V6. Weirdly enough the V6 with the Tow package out toes the Tahoe.

Any thoughts on one vs the other?
Rktect23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

We own a Yukon. IMO wheelbase is too short to tow heavy comfortably. It is a bit squirrelly at highway speeds. Unsure if the Ford has a longer wheelbase. If a Suburban or Yukon XL are not in the running I will mention the big Nissan is a great tow vehicle (and it pains me to admit as a GM guy).
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

It's not just a V6, it's a turbo v6. I'd suggest driving one, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

Car

Torque is what you need and what is wrong with the four door pickup trucks of chevy or dodge? Diesel in the dodge is a torque monster or the big v8 in the chevy.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsman41 View Post
Torque is what you need and what is wrong with the four door pickup trucks of chevy or dodge? Diesel in the dodge is a torque monster or the big v8 in the chevy.
Sorry, I’m just not a truck guy.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
We own a Yukon. IMO wheelbase is too short to tow heavy comfortably. It is a bit squirrelly at highway speeds. Unsure if the Ford has a longer wheelbase. If a Suburban or Yukon XL are not in the running I will mention the big Nissan is a great tow vehicle (and it pains me to admit as a GM guy).
Had the same issue when I had a Tahoe and TT. Nice SUV but the wheelbase is just too short
Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
It's not just a V6, it's a turbo v6. I'd suggest driving one, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
We tow a fullsize 2016 Expedition. I had to upgrage from a 2011 with the V8 since it could not be towed. I was shocked at the performance of the EcoBoost. Better fuel mileage, lighter and much faster acceleration. Tows my 10,000 boat and trailer better also.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

Given a choice, I'd get the one with the greatest payload and towing capacities.

By the way, my TV is an SUV (Dodge Durango) towing a TT with a GVWR of 5,000 lbs. I didn't care if my TV was a crew cab pickup or large SUV. Got the Durango because it was low mileage and cheap. Tows great and I enjoy driving the Durango whether or not I'm towing. However, unlike current Durangos, it is a body on frame construction.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTripping View Post
Given a choice, I'd get the one with the greatest payload and towing capacities.
While I understand your reasoning behind this statement, and I agree with this in principle. The problem is tow ratings have actually gotten WORSE since the SAE set the standard. The ratings are now being artificially inflated by using low gearing to pull higher weights in the J2807 test. Now that there is a standardized test, it is very easy to “game“ the test to get the ratings you want, regardless of capabilities.

The only structural requirements of the test are a simple yes or no check box if it passed the basic engineering requirements already in place. The rest of the test is just a mad dash up a hill and a series of break and acceleration timed tests.

The three-quarter ton and 1 ton market especially has reached ludicrous proportion’s. None of those trucks can handle the payload required to pull the trailers they claim. I cringe every time I see a hotshot Ram truck pulling a 3 or 4 car hauler with a 6000 pound pick up up in the air over the kingpin of that same truck. Grossly overloaded and unsafe. People are going to be dangerously overloaded going off manufacturers ratings.

I don’t recall what the Tahoe is rated at, but I can promise you it is a poorly designed SUV for pulling a trailer. This is coming from a Chevy guy.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
We own a Yukon. IMO wheelbase is too short to tow heavy comfortably. It is a bit squirrelly at highway speeds.
What is "too short to tow heavy" mean? My TT is 4200#
Old 03-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #11

Rv

Ever here of the tail wagging the dog? That is when the trailer starts to sway then pulls the car into the opposite sway if you dont get it under control fast you got hell to pay.
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We towed our Arctic Fox with a Tahoe and found the short wheelbase was definitely an issue. We switched to an Expedition EL and it towed like a dream. We then replaced it with an EcoBoost EL and it towed even better.

Don’t worry about the Turbo V6 it’s better than the old V8 for towing a TT.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #13

"Too short to tow heavy" is because the wheel base on a Tahoe is so short they can get squirrely on the road you have less length to control the load. Not to mention with a heavier load when hitting bumps they tend to "buck" forward and back more than a longer vehicle would.

This is somewhat effected by the tires as well. The big SUVs have big side walled tires which all contribute to roll when turning or in heavy winds. If you get either consider replacing the tires right away with a tire that has a heavier side wall with less roll.

I would also not limit the choices to just these two at least not in the 1/2 ton version. Personally I would look into a 3/4 ton suburban. I do not know a lot about the Fords so not sure if you can get a 3/4 ton expedition or it may even be one in stock form. If it is that is the obvious choice.

When it comes to towing you always want to have more vehicle than trailer but that rarely happens. When something happens on the road having just enough tow vehicle will not be enough.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktect23 View Post
Sorry, I’m just not a truck guy.
This exactly why we towed with an Expedition EL. It’s a Ford F-150 with an SUV body. I’m just not a pickup truck guy either.