Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #1

I have heard of ones having to remove their tail gates for their 5th wheel so that they dont get "Crunched".Is this true? I have a 2004 F350 4x4 and I am in the process of buying a 2005 Arctic Fox 27 5L fith wheel (Money is down ,just waiting on the order).Do I have to remove my Tail Gate?????
black n black is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #2

I have heard of ones having to remove their tail gates for their 5th wheel so that they dont get "Crunched".Is this true? I have a 2004 F350 4x4 and I am in the process of buying a 2005 Arctic Fox 27 5L fith wheel (Money is down ,just waiting on the order).Do I have to remove my Tail Gate?????
Old 01-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #3

Welcome to the best RV forum around, black n black. You'll find lots of good, useful information here on how to best enjoy RVing.

Regarding your question, no, you don't have to remove your tailgate, BUT you do need to be very conscientious about making sure it is down each time you hitch up, or disconnect, so you don't "crunch" it. There are after market tailgates made with a 'V' pattern in the center of them that allow you to leave the tailgate up and connect or disconnect your 5th wheel. In either case, CAUTION is the byword.

Enjoy.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:20 AM   #4

We have the V groved after market tail gate but since we started "destination" camping where we stay put for long periods, we have not used it!

I like having the full gate with the tonneau so that our golf clubs or other cargo is not an open invitation to any one passing by.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:36 AM   #5

BTW, do you know how awful those things sound when they get crunched? How bout when the bed rails get flattened? Ask me about it, I'll tell ya. Maybe not. It's just going to get me all mad at dh again...

'00 F250 PS Diesel
Kaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:14 AM   #6

Black n Black - congrads on the new AF 27-5L. We recently bought the same trailer. With regards to the tailgate issue, I have pulled 2 previous fivers without changing my tailgate. A very small Lance and a Nash 23-5A. The Lance was a pain because you had to drop the tailgate, back partially under the hitch, raise the tailgate, then connect. On both the Nash and AF, you have room to drop the tailgate and connect without having to worry about the 'gate' hitting the trailer. None-the-less, there's no doubt that you run the risk (or at least I do) of having a "senior" moment and clobbering the tailgate with the kingpin. So you can remove the tailgate altogether or buy one of the "V" type fiver tailgates. I've been thinking about one of these-Turbonet
Old 01-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #7

I bought a Stromberg Carlson vented tailgate more for the improved visibility when backing up (empty), but the convenience of hooking up the 5er is an added benefit. Even with a notched tailgate, you need to pay attention because you can still hit it in an extreme angle. Here's a pic of my truck with the tailgate: http://www.klenger.net/dodge/picture...d-Tailgate.jpg

and here's a link to the Stromberg Carlson website: http://www.strombergcarlson.com/page4.html

Wow, three of us with the 27-5L. Maybe we need to schedule a small rally. At least we're all close to each other. Where did you buy yours "black n black"?
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #8

WE use one of the vented V-gates as it makes hooking up very easy. With the full tailgate we had to get out and lower it, hook up, then swing it back up. This was a hassle. But the final straw was, I had put my tailgate back on for the winter and had one last pull to the dealer. My wife went to pick up the trailer after it was finished to bring it home. Tailgate down as it should be, she moved in for the hookup. Her problem was, she went in at a slight angle instead of straight in. This angle was just enough to put the corner of the tailgate into the front of the fiver and put a hole in my brand new fiver storage door.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I did the same thing that Kerfcutter's wife did. Now I have the same gate that JimL is looking at. (Turbonet) It has worked great, reduced the wind turmoil that the fiver creates with the standard tailgate and keeps things in the bed. Sure makes life simpler.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the help.Karen,you mentioned that the Bed rails got crunched.I know its a sore subject,but what happened?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #11

Ken Lenger:
We are going down to Baton Rouge,La. to purchase the Arctic Fox(Dealer:http://www.innovativerv.com/).We,just got word today that it arrived and its waiting for us to pick it up.We are leaving March the 16th. to go down there.We can't get away until then due to work.Its going to be a long 6 weeks,my wife is already packing,we will need a small trailer just to get down there,with all of the items that we have bought for it.Thanks for your help.The dealer down there in Baton Rouge saved us a ton of money.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #12

One more question. I have seen a fifth wheel tail gate that looks like a stock tailgate but,has the v notch.I have seen it on a Dodge here in town(just once)and I did not stop him.Does anybody know who makes this tailgate?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:31 AM   #13

I saw one like that on a Dodge here in Tucson. I think they are modified stock tailgates.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:47 AM   #14

Kerfcuttr and Vette Racer - I gotta confess, I tried my very best to do the same thing you did with my previous fiver. Lowered the gate, hitched up, then (in a hurry) jumped in the truck and drove home --- with the tailgate DOWN. Yup, there was enough clearance that I didn't hit. What an idiot!!