RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 03:21 AM   #1

Tale of 2, well 3, RAMs

Current tow vehicle is the 2017 RAM 3500 with the normal output diesel and 68RFE 6 speed transmission. 4WD, LB, CC. I pull either a 39 foot Crusader bunkhouse 5th wheel GVWR around 14K or a 38' Toyhauler with GVWR of 17K but loaded to 15,8K for travel. Scales weight. For the Raptor TH I'm at what I describe at the ragged edge of cargo capacity and RAWR. Careful loading and I'm under tire rating and if not careful man much as 200 over RAWR. Scale weights, not guessing. To achieve that I have everything heavy and as much as possible in the garage and minimal fresh water and about 1/2 load fuel in the aux tank of 51g capacity. Loaded the truck squats where either I need to adjust headlights or put air springs of to correct squat. OR get truck 2 or 3

Since I have chased the golden goose, ( ideal tow vehicle) before, this exercise isn't anything particularly new. So looking for a dually again. Ideally a newer model RAM CC LB, big tank, 4WD and Laramie trim. In 2019 RAM did an overhaul and significant update to their HD trucks. Requirements are low miles, lighter color in and out, no sun roof, puck system. Debating on the "normal 6.7l diesel with the 68RFE 6 speed or the HD versions with the AISIN transmission. Both are very capable and obviously the HD versions have more HP and torque, actual number vary with year but for 2020 it's 375/800 vs 400/1000. Previous years a bit lower example 2017 370/800 vs 385/900.

The 68RFE gets good reviews for towing and strength as does the AISIN. This last trip from south AL up to ND I averaged 9+mpg except in SD with 20g30 head winds, then 7.

For the participators, looking for how people feel about a lightly used 19 standard engine, overpriced, or search for a suitable 20 with the HD diesel and AISIN. I can continue to operate on the raged edge but within limits, or say screw it, get the dually and load what I want up to a point. I currently have a 51g aux tank which gives me a lot of fueling flexibility and choices. The one used 19 has a 100g tank the will barely allow the 5th wheel hitch to fit. That's a lot of fuel on board.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #2

Well I am with Chris form the Keystone forum, look for a 2018 or older HO, Aisin with 4.10's trim level Laramie or above. Our 2016 Laramie has a sticker payload of 5,411# should do great with either of those units.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well I am with Chris form the Keystone forum, look for a 2018 or older HO, Aisin with 4.10's trim level Laramie or above. Our 2016 Laramie has a sticker payload of 5,411# should do great with either of those units.
Thanks I'll keep them in mind and maybe find a good low mileage one.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

I have a 2019 RAM 3500 SRW with the H.O./Aisin. It is a beast, and if you are towing a lot, the Aisin makes more sense being a tougher tranny. You will lose about 2-3 mpg not towing, and maybe 1-2 towing with the H.O. engine. Otherwise, the standard 6.7 will do the job for you just fine.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

I own a toyhauler that has. GVWR of 12k. I doubt it's ever been over 11.5 except for the last 10 miles when I added 100 gallons of fresh water.

I towed it for 3 years with. 2013 RAM 2500 Tradesman SO diesel, 68RFE, CC SB 3.73. At 11.5k and full fuel tank I was under by 400 pound GAWR rear. Never scaled with two bikes and full fresh tanks.

Getting to private property, steep gravel driveway, put truck into 4 wheel low and barely touched the gas and up we went.

I now have a 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman HO Aisin CC LB 4x4 4.10, and I have to check the mirrors to see if the 5ver is still there. Bought this truck to prepare for a newer heavier future RV.

With the 4.10 and dually I get less fuel mileage than my 2500. Without towing, I get about the same as the 2500 did. I tow at 70 if traffic allows. I will drop to lower speeds when necessary.

This year I have not driven the truck on any long trips. And my first long trip with camper will be in November.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:36 AM   #6

When searching for a newer used Ram dually look very carefully at EVERYTHING that might show wear. There are anecdotal reports of hot shot trucks being run up to high mileages and then "restored" before they are sold.
They remove the factory wheels, interiors, instrument clusters, etc when new. They install a seat out of who knows what, a cluster from a wrecked truck. When it's time to go new again they reinstall the original stuff and sell the old one with low mileage.
I found one such truck at a used car lot in VA. Great price, great mileage, called them before I drove several hours etc. Pulled a CarFax, WHOOPS! The truck had bounced from auction to auction for a year and the mileage magically dropped 300K miles. The dealer who had it was sadly holding the hot potato.
I did a lot of research after that on the Ram forums which was where I found the horror stories of misrepresentation. If you had the right scanners you could pull the real hours and mileage from the PCM but the dash will show the cluster mileage according to the FCA service managers I spoke with.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
When searching for a newer used Ram dually look very carefully at EVERYTHING that might show wear. There are anecdotal reports of hot shot trucks being run up to high mileages and then "restored" before they are sold.
They remove the factory wheels, interiors, instrument clusters, etc when new. They install a seat out of who knows what, a cluster from a wrecked truck. When it's time to go new again they reinstall the original stuff and sell the old one with low mileage.
I found one such truck at a used car lot in VA. Great price, great mileage, called them before I drove several hours etc. Pulled a CarFax, WHOOPS! The truck had bounced from auction to auction for a year and the mileage magically dropped 300K miles. The dealer who had it was sadly holding the hot potato.
I did a lot of research after that on the Ram forums which was where I found the horror stories of misrepresentation. If you had the right scanners you could pull the real hours and mileage from the PCM but the dash will show the cluster mileage according to the FCA service managers I spoke with.
I'm surprised the dealer didn't do that before purchasing it at auction. I suspect dealer knew, or strongly suspected, it's condition. Along with that is flood damages. With the storm season has come the flooding along from TX to FL and the vehicles flooded. While they are supposed to be removed and destroyed, many get "laundered" though different states titling to clean the title. A carafe or other title search shout show the trail of the title and having several title transactions in different states will be a red flag.