Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #15

That Chevy will be easy to live with. The more you drive it the more you will like it. Nice, smooth, powerful enough, quiet. Plus it can tow what you need.

Good decision.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by richamor View Post
By the numbers the ford F250 and chevy are closer than you think. The chevy actually weighs more. They do have one great thing in common....a reputation for rocklike reliability. I have to wonder how that Ecoboost will fare as the years go by.

And dollars had a definite impact on the decision. The Chevy, from a local friend and reputable dealer, was $16,000 and my ford off the lot. Hard to find a Ford Ecoboost on a lot at all.

All in all I think I'll be happy with the chevy. It's a whole nuther truck compared to the old ford. And while that's not necessarily a good thing in every category I think it will hold it's own just fine.
I pull my 5500# TT with a 2017 gmc 1500 slt 4x4 ccsb 5.3 with the 3.42's and it does well until I get into the hills or have a strong headwind. I changed the rear shocks to Bilstiens and I put a Helwig helper spring on the rear to help on those roller coaster roads. I only have the 6 speed but it gets the rig up to speed easily and my trailer's 4 wheel brakes help me stop easily. I get 10-11 towing at 69/70. I wouldnt go any heavier on TT tho as it works hard on the bigger hills. tranny temp has never got out of the 190's. just my experience FWIW
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #17

runamuck - can you give any insight to your decision since you have a 2017. Any other trucks you look at or did you just pick the best riding and quietest truck? You able to get the best price on the Chevy?
Old 06-02-2018, 06:04 AM   #18

I liked the fit and finish of the sierra. I have tried the fords but I have always liked the feel and finish out and drive feel of the chevy trucks and this time the gmc seemed a little better to me. just a few items like wheel well trim and the wheels and running boards..made it seem to me to be a little nicer. mine is 4x4 with leather buckets and nav and 20's with z71 and a sunroof. the msrp was 55,585$ but I paid 43,000$. my trade in was a 2007 4x4 avalanche that I got 15,000$ for. the truck is very comfortable and quiet to drive and tows our 5500# trailer well. when not towing I get around 20 mpg on the highway. I put a Bakflip bed cover on it to get a covered storage area like I had with the avy. bought online for about 700$ I think. a negative is the new gm's did away with rear a/c and since I live in Texas that is something I like that the fords and ram trucks have.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 AM   #19

Got the same truck that you’re talking about and my TT (24 ft) is 5500 lbs loaded. It pulls it rock solid. 1500 miles last month down to the Gulf from NKy. 11 mpg. Tow haul mode worked great the way it’s designed. Don’t know if I’d be pulling an 8k lb. rig with it but , it’s a solid truck.
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
That Chevy will be easy to live with. The more you drive it the more you will like it. Nice, smooth, powerful enough, quiet. Plus it can tow what you need.

Good decision.
And that was a major selling point. The Ford was not the easiest truck to live with as a daily driver. It was loud and smelly. The seats were uncomfortable. It had a front and rear main seal leak. It didn't ride that well. And the '96 was an extended cab but no rear cab doors so the back seat area was almost useless. Fuel mileage was around 20 mpg as long as you stayed under 2000 RPM (60MPH). And although gas prices are on the rise again it seems diesel goes up more and faster. It was a sharp truck though....and I got more than a few compliments on it.

The Chevy is none of that. It's clean and comfortable, quiet, doesn't leak, and so far mileage is 19.5 mpg. It had 4 doors that open individually so the entire cab is useful space. It rides and drives great...especially for a truck.

I looked the other day and GVWR on my camper is 7500 lbs. We don't travel with full tanks and since it's me and the wife we travel fairly light. I plan to hit the scales on the way to Bristol so I'll know for sure. But the 7500 is still within the rated tow weight for the truck although that will put the tongue weight right at the max so air bags may be in the future.

And thanks for all the comments. This seems to be a never-ending learning experience.

It does have one thing in common with the Ford though.....I paid cash for both.
richamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #21

I got to laugh, a lot if people like the F-250 with the 7.3 diesel engine. To me, that was one unrefined truck. Noise, Harshness, Vibration (NHV) was maxed out on that truck. My friend had a 1999 F-250 with a 7.3. Riding in that truck was like a punishment.

He bought a 2011 Ram diesel dually. 2011 was a good year for trucks. Anyway he was amazed at how nice the 2011 was vs his 7.3 Diesel.

Oh, I heard for real diesel lovers, that noise is music and that smell is perfume.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #22

Nope, definitely not a refined truck. Friend has a '16 250 and typically wants to drive on our out of state hunting trips, after 8 hours in it last time I finally told him no more. I chose Ram for a reason lol. But that 7.3 was typically near bullet proof. Enjoy that new Sierra.
Fl2GaScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by richamor View Post
By the numbers the ford F250 and chevy are closer than you think. The chevy actually weighs more. They do have one great thing in common....a reputation for rocklike reliability. I have to wonder how that Ecoboost will fare as the years go by.

And dollars had a definite impact on the decision. The Chevy, from a local friend and reputable dealer, was $16,000 and my ford off the lot. Hard to find a Ford Ecoboost on a lot at all.

All in all I think I'll be happy with the chevy. It's a whole nuther truck compared to the old ford. And while that's not necessarily a good thing in every category I think it will hold it's own just fine.
the f250 is actually around 1000# heavier than the 1500 chevy
Old 06-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #24

Agree, the F-250 weighs more than a Chevy 1500. Not sure if ever a 1/2 ton ever weighed more than and 3/4 ton. Maybe an old old 3/4 ton vs a heavy 1996 1/2 ton.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #25

Just to follow up......no mistake made. On the contrary!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	207333

Here's a pic taken at a rest stop in NC. We drove from Lancaster SC to Bristol TN up I26. Running the AC and 60/70 mph I averaged 9.6 mpg all uphill. The Chevy never faltered and was always ready to give more. The highest trans temp I saw was 201. Generally stayed between 2000 and 3500 RPM in tow mode all the way. And we came up some loooong hills.

I could use some rear suspension upgrade. I did get a little wiggle from the rear once or twice and the bounce was a little more than I'm used too. And you may notice that nose down attitude in the pic. Not bad but not level either.

But overall I'm happier than a pig in poo!! It's quieter, smoother, cleaner, more comfortable, gets similar fuel mileage, and is overall just a better tow vehicle.

Thanks for all the input. Most of you, and my friends, were right. The Chevy pulls that camper just fine.

Now......about that rear suspension upgrade
Old 06-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #26

Good looking rig, and glad to hear the car like, smooth, quiet, ride was as good as people told you it would be. My experience towing reasonable size trailers with a half ton truck will continue to be a pleasant experiece.

That bobbling is normal when you hit a dip in the road.

To level the rig a bit more I would add air bags. I would give a Firestone store a call to get a price.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #27

I read good things about Timbrens and TorkLift. Not real keen on air bags but I’m only familiar with older kits. Newer ones are better I’m sure.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #28

Ram is the answer.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/2019/ram-1500.html
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote