Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #71

I re-read much (not all) of this thread. Agree that 16 mpg is low. Maybe after break-in the truck will do better. I would expect 21 - 22 mpg driving solo.0

I think you have a F-250 w/diesel engine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #72

Great job.. sound like nice truck.. you mileage problems are possibly the axle grears.. ford offers so many different axle combinations that you must look at built sheet to see what you have.. the people getting 25mph most likely not 4wd.. or could be tire combo.. or tire pressure..
One thing I would carefully consider.. upgrade the transmission cooler.. never seen one fail from being ran to cold.. but run trans hot.. done..
And add on eng oil cooler..
Just my opinion.. ford uses cost accounting and puts the cheapest coolers on.. so just think about it.. I upgrade mine and it's now 30yrs later.. still driving my 1993 ford conversation..
Also air bags for back.. and something like scan gauge or better yet.. dedicated gauges for eng and trans oil..
Also deep trans pan and axle cover..
Best thing I did.. ZEBART undercoating .. hands down.. no rust anywhere..
Just some out of the box suggestion..
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 12-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
...Question about mileage? People have constantly posted about getting 20-24mpg when running empty on highway. Driving home about 70 miles from dealer, it was a mixture of city and highway. I averaged about 16mpg. I don't know WTH I am doing and didn't look at manual yet but is there a drive mode setting that I need to look at? It's not a concern as I didn't buy it to save fuel, I just want to make sure all is OK.
Anyway...anything I should do or know to avoid any known issues?
Thanks guys
Probably had a regen on that run. Hard to tell. 16 mpg avg is not out of the ordinary for a modern HD diesel. That's my avg when not towing. As for people posting high mpg, well, welcome to the internet. Lots of factors determine mpg. In short, likely nothing wrong with your truck.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:13 PM   #74

Thanks guys. I'll read the manual about the regen mode. I noticed once I got near home the mpg suddenly jumped up significantly when going about 50 mph. I mean from 16 to 26 mpg but the RPM's were only about 100 difference (about 1200).
As far as rear end...I went with the "standard" 3.31. Figured the 10 speed will cover any situation.
As far as add on coolers, don't they come with the towing package? I just assumed that.
Also...undercoating...that sounds like a great option because I live in the Keys and will use this at saltwater boat ramps. Does Ford come with an undercoating spray already?
Thanks again.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #75

Do you see rusted out cars in the keys? I have been there and I did not see any. Agree you have a lot of salt air in the keys but I would not do anything. The Ford frame is E-Coated and body aluminum. It comes from the factory with what I think is good rust proofing. Keep the truck waxed and that is it.

MPG - agree Regen would cut mpg. But to give you my experience. I had a 2012 F-450 with 6 speed and 4:30 gears. On the highway solo I would get 16 mpg.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #76

Quote:
Driving home about 70 miles from dealer, it was a mixture of city and highway. I averaged about 16mpg. I don't know WTH I am doing and didn't look at manual yet but is there a drive mode setting that I need to look at? It's not a concern as I didn't buy it to save fuel, I just want to make sure all is OK.
Only 70 miles for a mpg calculation.
You really need to run 2-3 tanks/several hundred miles and use pencil figures for a good overall average.

I haven't heard of any of the new diesels getting 24 mpgs. Now older iron like my '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins HO NV5600 tranny 3.73 gears quad cab short bed with 365k+ miles still cranks out 21-22 mpg all day long. All pencil figures.
I don't think the new diesels with a huge hp/torque numbers will get you actual 24 mpg (no puter figures).
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #77

You come see my 30yr old van.. i would not trust ford factory under coatings.. you will never regret it.. do paint too.. that is my opinions.. yes i believe your truck will have factory coolers.. but are they enough to pound a 27ft tt all over the us.. ?
I would add some.. remember ford just wants it to last... perfectly... until out of warranty..
So it's your ride.. how long you plan to keep? The way technology is changing in 3 YRS it will be obsolete..
Google trans oil temp.. vs. Trans life.. maybe that will settle it.. you can buy a trans cooler for 30 to 150 and add in 20mins using common hand tools... it all up to YOU..
Google eng oil temp and eng life..
Maybe you will understand... maybe not.. what ever you choose.. I respect your judgement.. hope to meet you on the road someday.. I love anything that roles ..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
You come see my 30yr old van.. i would not trust ford factory under coatings.. you will never regret it.. do paint too.. that is my opinions.. yes i believe your truck will have factory coolers.. but are they enough to pound a 27ft tt all over the us.. ?
I would add some.. remember ford just wants it to last... perfectly... until out of warranty..
So it's your ride.. how long you plan to keep? The way technology is changing in 3 YRS it will be obsolete..
Google trans oil temp.. vs. Trans life.. maybe that will settle it.. you can buy a trans cooler for 30 to 150 and add in 20mins using common hand tools... it all up to YOU..
Google eng oil temp and eng life..
Maybe you will understand... maybe not.. what ever you choose.. I respect your judgement.. hope to meet you on the road someday.. I love anything that roles ..
Good luck and keep us posted
You are using your 30 year old van as a proxy for a modern Ford Diesel. You and your comments are way out of date. Period. Yeah, add coolers because that's what worked 30 years ago, oh and ignore that it might just void your warranty. And ignore that THEY AREN'T NEEDED.

Wow...

OP: Good job! We only have the 10 speed in the 150 and in it there is an Eco mode - tho we use mostly the Normal mode, which shifts plenty early as it is...
Old 12-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The F-150 with the HDPP option will have as long a wheelbase as a F-250 short bed crew cab truck will have. That is around 160".

The 3.5 Eco-Boost will put a smile on your face driving it solo. The key to towing with a turbo engine is to keep the oil clean. A turbo engine is also good at towing at higher elevations. It will lose a little power but not as much as a non turbo engine. I think this truck will come with the 36 gallon gas tank. That is one option I would want.

A F-150 with the HDPP option will come with everything you need I think. Maybe double check running boards.
And tow mirrors. Many times the tow mirrors do not come with the tow packages.

Recommendations above are spot on if you intend to go with an F-150.

I'm partial to my old RAM 2500 and will probably never buy anything less, if I buy anything else in my lifetime.

Charles