Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #1

Tell me what options I need on my new truck for pulling a TT?

My brother works at Ford and I'm getting ready to order a new F150 to pull a TT around 25ft or under and weigh less than 7,000 lbs. I haven't purchased the TT yet. I am asking because I don't shop with the dealer and choose options...I log online, use his PIN and price it out and order.

Anyway...I am not new to towing as I have towed boats my entire life but I am new to TT's and I realize they are a different animal. I will be pulling this over the mountains out west.

Sooo...what power plant should I pick? They have the 3.6L ecoboost that supposedly is rated for over 12k miles. Any negatives with towing long distance with a turbo?
What towing options should I pick? Anything particular?
Would you opt for the Hybrid. Will it save significant fuel on long tows? Would you utilize the generator feature much?
Stabilization options?
Thanks a bunch guys.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 10:54 PM   #2

Keep in mind towing a TT that has an 8' wide by8' tall front wall is much different than towing a boat. You need more HP and torque to pull the same amount of weight.
This online towing calculator removes all the chest-beating bravado from the equation; going strictly by actual weights.
Never use the UVW of any trailer unless that's how you intend to tow - unloaded.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:18 PM   #3

Might be an unpopular opinion.

Since you mentioned towing in the mountains I would go with an F250. Could be gas or Diesel. Might be quite some time before you get a truck with the chip shortage. It takes 7 or 8 months to make a chip. Trucks have 23 chips in them. Not much price diference.
Sam 3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:08 AM   #4

A hybrid won't get you any better gas mileage while you're on the highway. Stop and go driving is where a hybrid has an advantage. If you're planning on long cross country trips with a lot of highway driving you might consider a diesel. You will get 30% or more better mpg. Also you will appreciate the better comfort and stability that a larger diesel truck offers. Yes it's more expensive but if you tow enough it will eventually pay for itself, and you won't need an expensive hitch with a larger truck so there's money to be saved there.

If you've already decided on an F-150, I would go for the hybrid. The 7.5 kw generator feature could come in handy not only for boondocking but as a standby generator for your home.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:48 AM   #5

if you arent going any larger than the trailer you mentioned and if you plan to tow in the hills or mountains you may want to check out the 150/1500's that have a dsl motor. they are fuel efficient and pull strong at elevation. the chevy i-6 gets good reviews and I have seen as much as 1700# payload on some models of dsl 1500's. there are plenty of reviews to check out. I pull a trailer that is a little longer and heavier with my 1500 laramie but am shopping around for an upgrade that will enable me to better tow on longer trips and out west. we use my truck for other travel besides towing so I dont want to go any larger and clunkier than need be so I have been checking out the 1500/150 dsl trucks and they seem pretty capable.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #6

Ford has dropped the diesel in their F-150. The problem was low sales. That's too bad because a diesel is so much more energy-efficient than an Ecoboost, an Ecoboost hybrid or the new F-150 lightning, especially when towing. RAM still offers a 3.0 liter diesel, though.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Sooo...what power plant should I pick? They have the 3.6L ecoboost that supposedly is rated for over 12k miles. Any negatives with towing long distance with a turbo?
Is this a serious post or a troll? 3.6??? 12k miles or 12k lbs?

Ok, I'll bite...
If going with a brand new F-150, I would order a 3.5 EcoBoost equipped with Heavy Duty Payload Package, 3:73 gear ratio and a brake controller. If you can get the HDPP along with the Max Tow Package then even better.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #8

When towing out west, itís also about controlling the trailer under windy conditions. Also speed limits increase up to 80 mph, and even though you wonít be driving that fast, others will be. Truckers will also be going by at 75 mph plus.

A light weight truck with higher payloads wonít help you under these conditions. Under 7k pounds, and 25í is definitely doable with a 1/2 ton truck. But you will struggle on windy days. Have traveled over 7k miles this summer out west, and a few times a truck/trailer combo has passed us, but yet when the winds kick up and we find ourselves behind them, itís clear by swaying of the rear end, they are now struggling.

Heard that the HDPP comes with a thicker frame, which the added weight alone of that would help. The current F150 is a very light weight truck.

For me, less is more. Not sure about the hybrid package and itís longevity. But, all current hybrids lose value, compared to non hybrids when they get up there in miles. Iíll stick with the Honda generator. The more complicated these trucks get, the need for extended warranties is important.

Personally, I would order a higher trim level, with just the basic 3.5 Ecoboost. Crew cab with the 6.5í bed for a longer wheelbase.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #9

where its your FIRST camper I would suggest MORE truck then you think you need. There is a very good chance you will be looking to upgrade the trailer after you do a summer in what every you buy. Honestly not many owners say they want something smaller / lighter. If your able to justified the cost of a diesel truck nothing pulls hills or get better fuel economy or resale value then a diesel 3/4 ton pickup. The ford f150 3.5l ecoboost with HDDP heavy duty package is going to run a little less then a f250 but it will not be as stable with a big trailer behind the F250. long trucks tow better and that's a fact. If you have any thoughts of going to a 5th wheel for stability and size get a F350 skip the F250 , you cant put that much weight in the bed of a 250/2500 . you max out around 10,000~11,000lbs with a 250 regardless of the option , the rear axle gets over weight before you hit fords max tow numbers.
https://youtu.be/ICqFQ0ZbiYo
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
where its your FIRST camper I would suggest MORE truck then you think you need. There is a very good chance you will be looking to upgrade the trailer after you do a summer in what every you buy. Honestly not many owners say they want something smaller / lighter. If your able to justified the cost of a diesel truck nothing pulls hills or get better fuel economy or resale value then a diesel 3/4 ton pickup. The ford f150 3.5l ecoboost with HDDP heavy duty package is going to run a little less then a f250 but it will not be as stable with a big trailer behind the F250. long trucks tow better and that's a fact. If you have any thoughts of going to a 5th wheel for stability and size get a F350 skip the F250 , you cant put that much weight in the bed of a 250/2500 . you max out around 10,000~11,000lbs with a 250 regardless of the option , the rear axle gets over weight before you hit fords max tow numbers.
https://youtu.be/ICqFQ0ZbiYo
A diesel may have more resale value but you pay for it up front so that's a wash most people don't consider. I traded my EcoBoost for a SuperDuty only to go back to an EcoBoost so that doesn't always work out either.
An EcoBoost is way more zippy and nimble and smoother around town than any SuperDuty will ever be. Unless you tow most of the time... then a bigger truck is the way to go.
Hopefully the OP can wade through all of our helpful advice and find his Goldilocks truck. It's always fun when you custom order!
Old 09-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #11

The F-150 with the HDPP option will have as long a wheelbase as a F-250 short bed crew cab truck will have. That is around 160".

The 3.5 Eco-Boost will put a smile on your face driving it solo. The key to towing with a turbo engine is to keep the oil clean. A turbo engine is also good at towing at higher elevations. It will lose a little power but not as much as a non turbo engine. I think this truck will come with the 36 gallon gas tank. That is one option I would want.

A F-150 with the HDPP option will come with everything you need I think. Maybe double check running boards.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #12

No one ever complained about having too much truck for towing a TT.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #13

But people do complain about having too much truck when not towing.

How many HD trucks do you see at the shopping mall, or the grocery store.

Todayís 1/2 ton trucks make great TVís, and everything else from errands, to vacations.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
But people do complain about having too much truck when not towing.

How many HD trucks do you see at the shopping mall, or the grocery store.

Todayís 1/2 ton trucks make great TVís, and everything else from errands, to vacations.
Yep, my wife hated our SuperDuty (I loved it). Ended up going back to a class A pulling a Jeep. I missed my old F-150 so now pulling one as a toad.
If we had stayed with the toyhauler, I would have kept the SuperDuty.