Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #1

Testing new TT Brakes, Can't Get Wheels to Lock

I have a new Coachmen Apex 191RBS and a new Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I'm trying to set up the brake controller properly, but I cannot get the wheels to lock up. I can feel the brakes working when I activate the brake switch, but even dialed all the way up to the max (14), the wheels will not lock up. From what I have heard, small single axle trailers should be pretty easy to lock up.

I've used a 7 way tester at the back of the tow vehicle, and the voltage seems ok. I also pulled the break away cord on the trailer to see if the wheels would lock up while parked in the driveway, and they did.

Now what? What else can I do before calling Tekonsha or taking it back to the dealer?
Brad34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Try the next heavier trailer......or raising the boost level..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #3

May also need to lift each wheel off the ground and manually adjust the brake shoes. they are not auto adjusting.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #4

Did you run the wires from the controller to the plug or use factory wiring.

In either case make sure you use heavy enough wire from the controller and a heavy ground wire from the chassis to the plug.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Brand new trailer/new brakes....
Should do a manual brake shoe adjustment on each wheel
(See pg. 13 in link)

Then need to 'burnish' new shoes/drums
(See pg. 16 in link)

Then adjust brake controller

(See pg. 11 in link)

http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau...4.pdf?sfvrsn=0
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

Some things you might do.
1) Try testing on gravel/dirt; it should lock up easily there.
2) Drive for several hundred yards with the brakes manually engaged, to bed them in, then test for normal operation.
3) Test the actual voltage being supplied on the brake circuit
4) Manually adjust the brakes (as previously noted, they don't auto-adjust like cars do).
Old 06-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the fast responses. Excellent info! I have never owned a trailer with brakes so this is all new to me.

I will do the brake adjustments and then bed/burnish them as described.
Brad34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Before you do you might try driving half a mile or so dragging the brakes with the manual lever to get some heat in them. They work much better when hot. Mine will not lock up either when they are cold but work great when warm.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A proportional controller might not lock up. Mine won't when I manually crank on the trailer brakes, therefore proportional braking action from the controller might not lock up the trailer brakes without stomping on the tow vehicle brakes.

https://www.woodysrv.com/blog/unders...ke-controller/
Old 06-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #10

Most new trailers need 500-1000 miles to burnish in the brake pads. Than they will need adjustment before you see that type of locking up. Adjust at this point.
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #11

I do not believe I can lock the breaks either on my trailer. They will lock if I pull the safety pin. They unlock when I put the pin back in.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:51 AM   #12

Not sure that you would actually want the brakes to lock up anyway. A braking system provides the best stopping power just prior to locking up, hence the anti-lock braking systems now on vehicles. Once a tire locks, the drag factor of the sliding tires is less that the stopping power of the brake pads when turning, if that makes sense. So adjust away, but the final result shouldn't be a lock-up. Not to mention the flat spots on the tires after a couple of quick whoa-ups, lol.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #13

Both my 2012 Ram and my 2018 Ram won't lock the brakes on my 5er when traveling slow (25-30 mph) using the manual squeeze tab on the TBC. The 12 is worse than the 18. On the 12 I installed a P3 with a plug n plan harness. The P3 would lock the 5er brakes easily so I knew it wasn't the 5er brakes. I used the P3 the whole time I towed the 5er. Much smoother and nicer.
Fast forward to the 18 Ram 2500, I have not even hooked up the P3. The OEM TBC seems much better even though it won't lock the 5er brakes it still stops very well. I think Ram has some TBC programming that keeps the brakes from locking up when traveling slower. At least thats what I've read on the Cummins forum.

To the OP if you don't know how to properly setup the TBC, then a good way to do it is to drive about 25 mph, squeeze the manual tab on the P3. If the brakes lock up reduce gain until they don't. If they don't lock up, increase the boost till they do, then back off the gain.

Also there's a chance you could have grease on the drums from the factory. If after you adjust the brakes and they still don't stop well then you may need to pull the drums off and check for grease. It's not at all uncommon for even new TT/5er axles to have a blown seal and grease splattered on the drums.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #14

I thought there was something wrong with the brakes on my new Imagine because I had to put it on 10 which is the max on my Chevy. Went on a trip last weekend and after a 2 hour ride I pulled in the driveway and the trailer jerked hard and my wife said what's that ? I said I guess the brakes finally bedded in and I put it on 7 and it does good now.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, test