Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2022, 06:44 PM   #1

Texas Class A non-cdl license questions

Hi yall,
Moving to Texas soon and it looks like a TV 5er combo over 26K pounds needs a Class A non-cdl license. Looking for input from those with a Class A.

Right now I have an F-350 on order and don't know about the 6er yet but I just want to start off with the Class A so I don't need to bother with it later. I currently don't have a valid US DL to convert so I need to take the full written/driving test unless I get a SoDak license or something before I go to Texas.

Anyway, Im wondering if there is a second or different written test for this? Im not finding a manual online besides the regular driving manual. Also according to the DPS site the driving test for the Class A needs to be done in a vehicle requiring such a license. So, if I have a TV, would I need to borrow or rent a 5er to do the test? Has anyone done this with a 5er?

Thanks!
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2022, 02:49 AM   #2

Just get your driver's license, buy whatever truck and trailer combo you want, drive/tow it. You will be fine.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:04 AM   #3

Get the regular drivers license in Texas when you get here. Once you get your rig, you can then get the Class A license. The written test is not difficult, nor is the driving test. You will need to practice driving your rig prior to taking the driving portion of the test. Large parking lots will be a great place to practice. Good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You will first have to take the exam for the regular class C license which is good up to 26,000 lb.

After you get your truck and trailer, add the GVWR of the truck and the trailer. If you are 26,001# or over and towing over 10,000# you will need to take the short-written test for the class A (Exempt) license. The test is over a couple of chapters from the commercial handbook and is pretty easy. There are sample questions on the Texas DPS website. Once you pass the written exam, you have to schedule a driving test with the truck and trailer that meets the weight requirements. You cannot take the exam unless the rig qualifies.

The best place to get info on the Texas driver's license and testing is on the Escapees website and forum.
https://escapees.com/
Forum

Thread

CamperLifer is giving bad advice. Get properly licensed in your state of residency.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Get properly licensed in your state of residency.
Yes. I don't think Texas cares much what you tow as long as it's not for commercial purposes.

My worry is towing in a different state with much stricter laws. They would also be ok with it as long as you're legal in your home state. But if you weren't quite legal, you might be up for a hefty fine and other hassles.

Quote:
You will first have to take the exam for the regular class C license which is good up to 26,000 lb.

After you get your truck and trailer, add the GVWR of the truck and the trailer. If you are 26,001# or over and towing over 10,000# you will need to take the short-written test for the class A (Exempt) license.
I was kind of hoping to avoid going to the licensing process twice. There's a Camping World near the DPS in San Marcos. Maybe I can borrow a 5er for a couple hours to take the test.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Squantobon, not getting into an argument, but if you are stopped and license is checked by a state trooper, and you are operating out of your weight class for the license, you will probably receive a citation for no driver's license.

Camping World is about as likely to "loan" you a 5er as I am at getting elected Pope.

Maybe you need to just reside in a state that does not care about who drives what.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:07 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As stated, if the combination is over 26,000 pounds you will need the Texas Class A license. There is no difference in the written test for a Class B or Class A. It is suggested that you study the CDL Driver License requirements as it has all the stuff in it needed for the standard Class A.

You will also need to fill out the Texas CDL-2 form. It is on-line. If you don't have it when you apply they will hand you the form to fill out...easier to do on-line.

You will also need a licensed driver with your for whichever class of license you get, C, B, or A, and SOMETIMES they ask who is driving you to their facility, not always, but sometimes.

As stated, you need the class of vehicle you will be taking your test in. When I went from CDL B to CDL A, I only needed the air brake endorsement so I rented a Uhaul or equivalent class with air brakes on it. Cost me around $90 for the day. Drove it myself to the DMV, took the written test...no probelm...didn't even ask me to drive, just questioned me on air brake procedure.

Go for it.

p.s., stay away from the big city DMV's as they seem to be more stringent than the rural areas, and you will need an appointment. There are not "designated" DMV's for higher class licenses but I'm not sure if they apply to standard and not just CDL.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Squantobon, not getting into an argument, but if you are stopped and license is checked by a state trooper, and you are operating out of your weight class for the license, you will probably receive a citation for no driver's license.

Ken
That's kind of the point of this thread. Getting the right license.

Quote:
Camping World is about as likely to "loan" you a 5er as I am at getting elected Pope.
Maybe rent one for a day or something.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
p.s., if you rent a rental truck you will have to have someone there with a license befoe you can rent it and it will have to be in there name.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
p.s., if you rent a rental truck you will have to have someone there with a license befoe you can rent it and it will have to be in there name.
I meant rent a 5er. There are some for rent in my area that are heavy enough GVWR to put the GCWR over 26K with my truck on outdoorsy.com
Old 04-29-2022, 11:34 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are there actually places that rent a truck and 5'er?
I know there are rental RV's just didn't know you could rent both.
What would be the cost and could you get it for 1 day.
You would still need a licensed driver to drive it to the DMV,
If you get a Learner's Permit, then just an accompanied proper licensed driver and you can drive it.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:39 AM   #12

Although the examiners at the driving test site are DPS employees, they are not law enforcement. FYI

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, texas