Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

TFL - Andre' reviews gas Ford and Ram 3/4 ton

This is a fairly in depth look at two gas trucks Ford and Ram. I watched the whole video and learned a few minor things. Now, I do like Andre' so that made the lengthy video tolerable. No towing was done in this video.

Things I learned:

1. Lifting a truck and putting big tires on it really affects mpg by about 2 mpg. 15.5 mpg vs 13.5mpg lifted. I always wondered what the differece would be.

2. The Ram Laramie with a 6.4 hemi cost 71k. So now I know a gas engined truck is expensive.

3. 2019 Ram now has a ZF 8 speed transmission.

4. Andre' has the Ram in Indiana but will be taking it to Colorado for the Ike Gauntlet tow test.

To me, it is a bummer he did not also have the 2020 GM truck to review. I do anticipate seeing a tow test with all 3 gas trucks.

https://youtu.be/vR8G6XHeOKk
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #2

From my experience I would stay away from those air suspension models on the Rams. It’s great while it’s working, but expensive to repair, if you know what’s causing the issue. Been down that road, never again.
But the 1/2 ton trucks need to step up the mpg’s, or we will all be driving 3/4 tons.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:31 AM   #3

Half ton drivers are those who most of the time dont tow. Once a year maybe, or a lumber trip to the hardware store. Or a soccer mom who wont drive a minivan.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Half ton drivers are those who most of the time dont tow. Once a year maybe, or a lumber trip to the hardware store. Or a soccer mom who wont drive a minivan.

We use our 2017 Ram 1/2 ton for a lot of hauling and towing. Probably more than 75% of the 3/4 ton truck owners.
Use it for hauling loads for extended long trips. Tows our 5,500 lb trailer like a knife thru soft butter. Put on 40k miles in 2.5 years, and except for the air suspension went nuts, and couldn’t figure out the correct ride height, it’s been a decent truck. Probably overloaded it a few times.
Wouldn’t mind jumping up to a 3/4 ton gasser, and the Ram with the 6.4 and 8 speed tranny would make a good choice. Will say the 8 speed ZF tranny in my current truck works flawlessly, one of the best I’ve ever driven, towing or not.
Looking forward to his video on the drive back to CO, and the trucks mpg’s.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

I'm not a TFL fan at all, but Ram did score big on the JD Power survey of complains during the first 90 days of ownership. They blew the doors off Lexus. Ford did worse than average. A bit disappointing. As an aside, Tesla refused to supply data in several states. I can't imagine how crappy their score would be if all states submitted the data, just like the other manufacturers did.

Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
This is a fairly in depth look at two gas trucks Ford and Ram. I watched the whole video and learned a few minor things. Now, I do like Andre' so that made the lengthy video tolerable. No towing was done in this video.

Things I learned:

1. Lifting a truck and putting big tires on it really affects mpg by about 2 mpg. 15.5 mpg vs 13.5mpg lifted. I always wondered what the differece would be.

2. The Ram Laramie with a 6.4 hemi cost 71k. So now I know a gas engined truck is expensive.

3. 2019 Ram now has a ZF 8 speed transmission.

4. Andre' has the Ram in Indiana but will be taking it to Colorado for the Ike Gauntlet tow test.

To me, it is a bummer he did not also have the 2020 GM truck to review. I do anticipate seeing a tow test with all 3 gas trucks.

https://youtu.be/vR8G6XHeOKk
I bought the 2019 Laramie 2500hd 6.4 hemi gasser for 55k so they can be had for under 60k [emoji111]
RvRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #7

Mtn. Lion - I kinda agree about TFL as most of their presenters I can not watch. I do like Andre' and Tommy (Roman's son).

What YouTube channels do you like?
Old 06-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #8

Can't wait to see the 6.4 w/8spd up the Ike. It should be a nice recovery from the poor performance the 6.4 w/6spd had a few years ago.

Interesting to hear about the airbag problems. I generally hate things that try to think for me and would never opt for automatic bags. If I needed/wanted them I'd be more than happy to run an aftermarket set that I can control 100%.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

I agree, Ram 8 speed 6.4 vs Ford 10 speed 7.3 vs GM 6 speed 6.6.

One of these trucks will be my next truck.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
This opinion seems about 20 years out of date, for several reasons.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #11

Would someone truly buy a vehicle based on how quick it tows a trailer up the ike? Personally looks and comforts are what I am attracted to, powerplant as well but not which has the fastest time up a hill. I get it’s bragging rights but what’s the point otherwise?
flan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #12

Jack - I think you are right. When I had a half ton truck I used it all the time to tow my 5,000lb travel trailer and my 3,500lb boat. I also drove the truck to work. I also used it to pull out small shrubs, carry firewood, carry stone and playground saw dust.

The current 150/1500 series trucks can tow 6,500lbs. comfortably and the GM trucks can probably tow 7,500lbs. comfortably.

There are a bunch of nice trailer trailers these trucks can tow. One slide and 28 foot for the most part.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flan View Post
I get it’s bragging rights but what’s the point otherwise?
Arguing on message boards with people I don't know and will likely never meet

Actually, I am watching the Ram 6.4 because it did terrible with the 6spd tranny (and I happen to own this truck) and I'm curious how much better the 8spd will do since someday I'll likely be in the market for a new truck. I tow heavy (11K 5th wheel) and out west with hills so it's actually pretty relevant to my situation.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:11 AM   #14

Andre' currently is driving the Ram 8 speed truck from Indiana to Colorado. So he will post a mpg video of that trip. My understanding of more speeds are:

1. Better fuel economy
2. Better towing as the truck will spend more time in it's max power band.

I do not fully understand the move from a 6 speed to a 10 speed and why not from 6 speed to an 8 speed.

Tags
ford, gas