Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

The little Diesel that could.

Last December I traded in the 2016 Ram CTD for a smaller truck. I tow the camper locally 3-4 times a year and use my truck as a daily driver. I didn’t need such a big truck for what I tow and the improved mileage was welcomed.

Understanding that the new truck had less capability I still felt confident it would handle our trailer.

I purchased a 2018 Chevy Colorado with the four cylinder Duramax diesel. Great little truck that now fits in my garage and still safely tows what I have.

Last month I deleted the exhaust (no more DEF [emoji106]) and installed a engine and transmission tune. This safely bumped the HP to 225 and TQ to 450. My unloaded fuel mileage also increased to 32 mpg here in Colorado.

The truck is rated to tow 7,400 lbs and my trailer weighs 5,500 lbs CAT scale verified. Tongue weight is 820 lbs. The truck has 1,420 payload capacity and I don’t carry anything in the bed.

Today I installed a new Equalizer hitch 1000,10000 rating. I’d like for someone to check my settings to see if it seems correct. The camper is loaded as if heading out.

I followed their directions and leveled the trailer on a concrete driveway. I measured the coupler and mounted the ball 2” higher. I took unloaded measurements of my trucks fenders and then with tongue weight added and again with the WD bars installed.

The difference from unloaded and WD loaded was a 3/4” drop in the rear and 1/4” rise in the front. Seems pretty good from what I read. The WD bars are level and the camper sits level when hooked up.

I then headed off for a test drive. The truck easily powered up a 8 mile grade and then I then turned around and the exhaust brake worked perfectly on the way down.

I then drove east for 40 miles and then turned around to head home. There was a 17 mph headwind headed out but was pushing me on the way back. I drove at 65 mph. I was shocked at seeing 14 mpg towing the camper. I know more distance could be different but my Ram CTD only saw 11-12 in the same conditions. I experienced no sway and the truck and trailer felt as one unit.

I’m pretty impressed with this truck. It fits my needs and I wouldn’t hesitate going on a trip with it.

Let me know if my settings seem correct. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3642.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	199691

Name:	IMG_3643.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	199692

Name:	IMG_3644.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	199693
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Last December I traded in the 2016 Ram CTD for a smaller truck...
...I purchased a 2018 Chevy Colorado with the four cylinder Duramax diesel. Great little truck that now fits in my garage and still safely tows what I have.

Last month I deleted the exhaust (no more DEF [emoji106]) and installed a engine and transmission tune. This safely bumped the HP to 225 and TQ to 450. My unloaded fuel mileage also increased to 32 mpg here in Colorado.
Great mods

Your Avatar says you are in CO...so, without the DPF/DEF, what will you do come emission testing time?:
https://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/smog-check.php

We have similar requirements in CA requiring even an ECM chip to be removed before the semi-annual check. Then an OBD reader must be used clear the codes left by the chip.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I find it interesting that people have no problem removing the pollution control devices from their diesels. Would everyone feel the same about removing them from gas vehicles? I remember what it was like driving on freeways in the 60s and 70s. Do we really want to go back to that?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Great mods

Your Avatar says you are in CO...so, without the DPF/DEF, what will you do come emission testing time?:
https://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/smog-check.php

We have similar requirements in CA requiring even an ECM chip to be removed before the semi-annual check. Then an OBD reader must be used clear the codes left by the chip.

Safe travels
Colorado only requires emissions testing for diesels in certain cities. Denver comes to mind and I’m sure there are a few others. I live in a rural county that doesn’t test or inspect diesels. I did save the factory exhaust just in case.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
Colorado only requires emissions testing for diesels in certain cities. Denver comes to mind and I’m sure there are a few others. I live in a rural county that doesn’t test or inspect diesels. I did save the factory exhaust just in case.
You were smart to researched that.
The emission checks here rolled-out with no grandfathering. Our truck went from exempt to semi-annual requirements with the stroke of some bureaucrat's pen.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:35 AM   #6

Your descriptions sound like you are in the zone so to speak. But why not take it to the Cat scale and see exactly where you are at instead of approximating with measurements & eyeballing it. Now that scales are widely available.

A. Replace your unloaded steer weight. B. Make sure your drive axle weight is below max axle rating. B.1 Beyond replacing steer weight generally an equal drive & steer is ideal. C Make sure your seen TW is in the 10 to 15 percent range. (With a WDH actual seen TW is found by subtracting unloaded TV combined axle weight from loaded TV axle weights.)

ICE pollution is relevant in a smog trapped area such as LA. Outside that it has more to do with power & control over people by governments. If it was strictly about pollution & enviroment there is way bigger fish to fry so to speak.

Globally smoke stack industries airline industries ocean liners. enviro, commercial fishing industries and both our gross over consumption of meats. Worldwide lots of Forrestry cleared & clean water used to raise meat compared to veggies beans fruits etc that should be our staple. Deforestation to raise more meats has a far greater impact than ICE.

changing our diet would have a much greater affect on pollution & enviroment that anything we can do to our small ICEs. Check out cowspiracy on Netflix. Now let’s stick to OPs subject as this topic would just divulge into political & get closed.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I find it interesting that people have no problem removing the pollution control devices from their diesels. Would everyone feel the same about removing them from gas vehicles? I remember what it was like driving on freeways in the 60s and 70s. Do we really want to go back to that?
What he has done is illegal under the clean air act. It probably also voids his warranty on the vehicle. The interesting question is what it would cost him if he is caught...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What he has done is illegal under the clean air act. It probably also voids his warranty on the vehicle. The interesting question is what it would cost him if he is caught...
Calm down people. Some tests - I know, anecdotal evidence isn't evidence - have shown that the newer diesels are pretty much hitting the target emissions numbers even without DEF/SCR, EGR and DPF systems in place. Maybe removing some of these things and increasing mileage, which reduces the amount of fuel consumed in the first place - isn't really any worse than burning more fuel with these systems in place.

I'm all for clean air and green landscapes, but let's really apply some common sense to regulating emissions. Look at all the sources, fight the right fights. Going after "Bill and his RV" first may not make the most sense if the goal is to reduce the impact people have air and climate. There are other big targets that would yield better results, imo.

Anyway, I'm from Texas and I could delete my truck with little consequence here. I haven't for other reasons, namely warranty, convenience if warranty work is needed and I kinda want to get through my first year with this truck before taking it apart. I will seriously consider deleting later. It would be my first deleted diesel if I go that route.

Good luck! And to the OP, nice job. Not a GM fan myself, but it looks you found a great setup. Enjoy the crap out of it, man.

Ken
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #9

Anyway.... interesting to see a Colorado towing thread.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
Your descriptions sound like you are in the zone so to speak. But why not take it to the Cat scale and see exactly where you are at instead of approximating with measurements & eyeballing it. Now that scales are widely available.

A. Replace your unloaded steer weight. B. Make sure your drive axle weight is below max axle rating. B.1 Beyond replacing steer weight generally an equal drive & steer is ideal. C Make sure your seen TW is in the 10 to 15 percent range. (With a WDH actual seen TW is found by subtracting unloaded TV combined axle weight from loaded TV axle weights.)

ICE pollution is relevant in a smog trapped area such as LA. Outside that it has more to do with power & control over people by governments. If it was strictly about pollution & enviroment there is way bigger fish to fry so to speak.

Globally smoke stack industries airline industries ocean liners. enviro, commercial fishing industries and both our gross over consumption of meats. Worldwide lots of Forrestry cleared & clean water used to raise meat compared to veggies beans fruits etc that should be our staple. Deforestation to raise more meats has a far greater impact than ICE.

changing our diet would have a much greater affect on pollution & enviroment that anything we can do to our small ICEs. Check out cowspiracy on Netflix. Now let’s stick to OPs subject as this topic would just divulge into political & get closed.

I intend to hit the scales to weigh everything again. It just wasn’t in the plans for yesterday.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Anyway.... interesting to see a Colorado towing thread.

That’s really why I posted my experience. I haven’t seen anything here and figured if someone had a smaller camper, it could be a option for them if the weights work out.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Used to have a 22H, only thing we didn't like was the crawl over bed.

You mentioned an interior remodel...did you move the bed?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Used to have a 22H, only thing we didn't like was the crawl over bed.

You mentioned an interior remodel...did you move the bed?

I’m not a fan of the bed layout either but the wife liked it. I removed the dinette and jackknife sofa and built this. I relocated the electric panel to the wall.

Name:	IMG_3080.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	199739

Name:	IMG_1682.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	199740

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg