Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2021, 06:16 AM   #1

The TTs I’m seeing!

Just getting back into TTs after years in a class A I’m paying more and more attention to what your truck can actually carry. I’m convinced I was probably over on some of the trailers I was towing with my Tundra. Maybe not a lot, but over.

The guy next to me right now has a 2018 RAM 3500 short bed and we were talking about towing. He’s got a pretty big trailer and was telling me how careful he is and too keep it under max. Always goes to the scales to check. There’s another guy here with a trailer at least as large as that plus a 55 gal extra tank in the bed of his 2500 Cummins RAM. But best of all is a guy hauling a 27’ something or other with a Tacoma.

I’m pretty happy with my rig. I’m thinking we’re going for a 28’ airstream next and it will probably gross out under 8k or so. We pack light so my 2500 Ram diesel should be fine. But will definitely check the numbers as we get closer to a choice.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

That Airstream would be perfect for that Ram 2500 CTD. I highly doubt you'll be very close on any of your tow numbers.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #3

You will be close to payload but that should not matter according to many people on this forum. According to them do not exceed the rear axle weight rating or the rear tires.

The payload on a Ram 2500 diesel will only be 2,200 to maybe 2,400lbs. Again you will be close but not over payload.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #4

2230, but who’s counting. A 30’ AS classic has an 850# tongue weight and maxes out just under 10k. Max tow on my truck is 14k. As I said, besides people ~ 400# (I won’t say who takes up the lions share of that) and maybe 70# of dogs we travel fairly light. I think you get a bit more aerodynamic advantage with an airstream, but I’ve never towed one yet. But I’d prefer a 27’ or 28’ model to try to keep the size down as well as the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You will be close to payload but that should not matter according to many people on this forum. According to them do not exceed the rear axle weight rating or the rear tires.

The payload on a Ram 2500 diesel will only be 2,200 to maybe 2,400lbs. Again you will be close but not over payload.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #5

Airstreams don't have any front storage so not more additional weight to the trailer tongue can be added. A lot of people, 3 that I know, will put a cap on their truck for storage when they own an Airstream. They will use their truck bed to carry tools, fishing rods or anything else the might need.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:19 AM   #6

Wow. I just looked up the trailer that Tacoma was towing. Looks like it was a Greywolf 26DBH, which appears very similar to the Shasta Freeport BH I used to have. Except I was towing that with a Tundra and felt it was not enough truck to tow that trailer. The UVW is 5795 and GVWR is 7723.

No judgment zone here, but as someone who obsesses about having enough truck to tow my trailer I know I would not do that.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #7

Check out Canam RV in Ontario Canada. Andy Thomson,the owner is a towing guru. He specializes in Air Stream.

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/
Old 07-12-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunkie View Post
Check out Canam RV in Ontario Canada. Andy Thomson,the owner is a towing guru. He specializes in Air Stream.

https://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/
I am not a fan of CanAm and their promotion of large trailers and undersized towing vehicles. What he does with the set up of the rig is correct, just not some of his towing rigs with too much trailer.

We have RVed since 1984 and full time for the past 8 years. In our travels, we see way too many overloaded tow vehicles. People just go by the published manufacturers MAXIMUM tow rating and never consider what the ratings are for their specific tow vehicle. I have learned to just not say one word about their rig unless they make a complaint about poor towing or problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

In my travels I passed a F-250 towing a DRV at about 50mph in a 70 mph zone. I was going to Chanute KS to the NUWA factory as they transitioned from building to a sales/service center. Anyway after being at the NUWA factory for 10 - 15 minutes the F-250 pulls in to deliver the new DRV to the sales team. I asked the driver about his towing experience he said never again. He said the DRV towed like crap.

Another story - my new wife was an RV'er with her previous husband. They towed a 5th wheel with a Chevy 2500. I towed my 5th wheel with a dually. My new wife riding in the dually truck as I towed the 5th wheel said to me this feels a lot different I asked how? She said there was no side to side movement sitting in the passenger seat.

Just two real life stories to share.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I am not a fan of CanAm and their promotion of large trailers and undersized towing vehicles. What he does with the set up of the rig is correct, just not some of his towing rigs with too much trailer.

We have RVed since 1984 and full time for the past 8 years. In our travels, we see way too many overloaded tow vehicles. People just go by the published manufacturers MAXIMUM tow rating and never consider what the ratings are for their specific tow vehicle. I have learned to just not say one word about their rig unless they make a complaint about poor towing or problems.

Ken
Do you know of anyone who was not happy with their setup from Canam?

If the setup isn't correct your towing experience will not be pleasant.
I had what many on here would criticize as an under size combination put together by Canam RV. The only time I noticed the trailer behind me was pulling out from a light and going up mountains. On the road/highways it didn’t feel like I was towing anything. I towed that combination (approx. 10,000 miles) from coast to coast, twice, over eight years including a trip through the black hills in South Dakota and from Yellowstone to Jasper national park.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #11

As someone who's owned a Tacoma for over 10 years and overloaded it many times, I can say with authority that the fuel burn for a heavily loaded Taco would quickly pay for a more capable truck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Wow. I just looked up the trailer that Tacoma was towing. Looks like it was a Greywolf 26DBH, which appears very similar to the Shasta Freeport BH I used to have. Except I was towing that with a Tundra and felt it was not enough truck to tow that trailer. The UVW is 5795 and GVWR is 7723.

No judgment zone here, but as someone who obsesses about having enough truck to tow my trailer I know I would not do that.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:16 AM   #12

Man are we on the same page... after reading what people are towing, I thought it was just me Bobble Heading...
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:29 AM   #13

I just bought an Airstream 25' Globetrotter with a GVWR of 7,300 pounds. The owner towed it across the country with a Jeep Diesel Gladiator. I think that has a towing capacity of 6000 pounds? Goodness!
Old 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #14

Currently out on an 11+ night trip and I've come to the conclusion that there are some really good drivers out here.
The reason I've come to that conclusion is after seeing some of the lousy combinations and setups of trailers and tow vehicles that those people are exc drivers.
When you have an SUV towing a 30' TT with the front of the TT down 3-4" and the front of the SUV is pointed towards the sun you must be a retired NASCAR driver or just one lucky SO?

And why do they all have a WDH and the rear of the truck is sagging 2-3 " more than the front and the TT is sitting 2-3" low in the front.

Or the front of the TT is 2-3" high and the rear of the truck/SUV is riding on it's overloads?

Yet here they are camped in the same campground traveling the same hwys.

Yikes.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote