Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: which would you do
TT and proper TV 5 9.09%
5er and proper TV 17 30.91%
MH with toad 33 60.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
I had a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. The transfer case is controlled with an electric switch that only has 4WD Low, 4WD High and 2WD. There is no neutral position on the switch. I thought about getting the Remco drive shaft disconnect but the wife wanted more room for the dog so we traded it in on a Jeep.
Wow, that sucks. My wife's '06 Tahoe has electronically controlled 4 wheel drive as well, but still has a transfer case neutral. Pushing the 2WD and 4WD Low buttons at the same time puts the transfer case in neutral. My Hummer requires the 4WD Hi Unlock and the 4WD Lo Lock buttons to be pressed at the same time to shift the transfer case into neutral (no 2WD on it; only 4Hi Unlock, 4Hi Lock, and 4Lo Lock, not counting diff locker). I'm amazed/surprised/confused that a 4x4 Tacoma doesn't have that same capability. More evidence of the ongoing dumbing-down of society.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
To be honest, there is no great way to become a snowbird. You either need to tow your house or drive your house. There are people in 5th wheels moving to motorhomes and visa versa. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

My wife and I wanted a diesel pusher but when push came to shove I ended up with a 5th wheel because it would sit for months at a time. Also driving a motorhome did not really appeal to me...seems they rattle, shake and roll down the highway.

I needed a truck to tow a boat made my decision a bit easier.

Towing 4 wheels down, even with a vehicle that can be a toad, you really need to be super careful. The two people that I know that tow a toad, both have transmission problems. There are speed limits and distance limits on most toad abled vehicles.

On the flip side driving a diesel truck is expensive and I do not go thru any drive thru's. It is however kinda fun to drive a big truck.

You will see people trying all kinds of combinations.

Driving a motorhome is a chore. Towing a trailer is a chore. I think I can tow with less fatigue than if I drove a motorhome the same distance.

If you had a new(ish) 1/2 ton truck with a great weight distribution and sway control you could tow a trailer big enough to be comfortable.

So back to a motorhome. Remember, you can pick a tow dolly, do that for a few years then switch. I was a snowbird. I saw people switching things all the time. Some people drive a toy hauler motorhome then ride a motorcycle everywhere they go.

Also no harm in starting small to start. Our 1st year was with a F-150 and 22' trailer with no slides. Next year was a 37' 5th wheel and dually truck.

You will like being a snowbird. You can go in something small then once in the sunshine look around and ask people questions. Like I said, we wanted a diesel pusher motorhome. I got to the RV Park and everyone was in a 5th wheel with a few motorhomes.
I agree with your assessment overall for sure.

My TV 2016 tundra crew max limited 4x4,9200# tow rating that gets over GCWR real fast even with a 7000# wet TT and will not pull what I feel will be sufficient to be comfortable 4 months at a crack.

I get that with all the options out there I could use dolly's, trailers ect.. to have a toad but they all seem like a PITA. I did see that the new fords have a simple button to push to tow 4 down, nice.

I agree towing is a chore, I towed the bass boat 8000 miles this summer and it gets old in a hurry, and the speed limit thing with toads is an issue for sure, I can't always be trusted to follow speed limits The bass boat tucks in behind the tundra at 80 mph at 14.4 MPG's, toad not so much.

Easy short term fix is a F350 DRW as it will drag anything down the trail, or as you say just get a small TT and get out as it seems you just gotta take the leap and go from there.
FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 AM   #17

FirstRodeo - sorry, I actually miss spoke if I have the impression that I get fatigued towing a 5th wheel. I do not, my very 1st tow was from Crystal River Florida to Columbus Ohio. 998 miles. It was early May so I had plenty of daylight. I was tired from being awake but driving a newer diesel truck towing a 5th wheel goes down the road really nice. Find a few stations on the satellite radio and beepop down the highway.

The newer diesel trucks have so much power that you will not notice the eastern mountains much.

I had a budget to buy a used diesel pusher motorhome. I bought a brand new truck and a brand new 5th wheel for much less than a used diesel pusher.

When I was towing between Ohio and Florida I would do 650 miles day one and the rest on day two. Oh, when I travel the only RV type that passes me are those darn tag axel mororhomes. I pass all the gas powered motorhomes traveling at 60 mph in the right lane. There is a reason they only travel 60mph.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #18

Coastal Campers
I agree with everybody that says it all boils down to the lifestyle you want. We prefer TT's because they are the most bang for the buck, which gives us more of our fixed income for other uses. We also like the beach and surf fishing, so 4WD is necessary, and we prefer a van so we can store the surf fishing rods inside without taking them apart. The Ford E350 diesel van pulls out 34' 9000 lb trailer perfectly, and although it is a big truck, it serves me fine as a daily driver. If we have to go into a more populated congested area, we take my wife's VW Beetle. We got the diesel van because we found it first - we buy used, and would have settled for a full size 4x4 van with a big gasser if one would have been around when we were looking.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #19

Since you asked we use a MH and tow with a dolly. Dolly towing done right is not a big deal. Neither of us want what is available for 4 down as a DD.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #20

I dolly tow with my MH. We were traveling with friends with a 5th wheel. His pickup gets 11 MPH, not towing and my toad gets 28 MPG. Although both sit 4 comfortable, guess which vehicle we used for site seeing.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
a 4x4 that is NOT 4 down towable ?!?!
then they must be AWD and not truly 4x4...

I'd really research that if I could first!
There are 4X4's that aren't towable. They don't have a neutral in the transfer case so they can't freewheel. In that case you need freewheeling hubs on all wheels or remove driveshafts to front and rear.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Ford Explorer is towable four down. I even got it in an e-mail from Ford stating the fact. I just have to leave the ignition on so the front wheels can steer. My previous explorers, 92, 95, 02, were not.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #23

Ford's pretty much all seem to be towable 4 down if they are 4wd. They seem to be the only manufacturer that supports that. I do believe you may have to get a extra add on module for a few of them.

Either way- the OP has Toyota's, so not relevant to this conversation.

I will note my new 2017 F-350 gets more like 15mpg combined around town per its computer (whoo!), much better then the 12mpg my old 2005 did.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Ford's pretty much all seem to be towable 4 down if they are 4wd. They seem to be the only manufacturer that supports that. I do believe you may have to get a extra add on module for a few of them.

Either way- the OP has Toyota's, so not relevant to this conversation.

I will note my new 2017 F-350 gets more like 15mpg combined around town per its computer (whoo!), much better then the 12mpg my old 2005 did.
When I did some research on toads Ford's do look good. Some of the newer models only need one switch to be pushed when 4 down. Way easier than charge lines, pulling fuses, drive shaft disconnects or removal, transmission pumps etc.

Toyota's I have now is only because I work for them, prior to that I only had Fords, Explorers, Expeditions, F150's and F250's over the last 35 years so it's not out of my mind to go back to them if needed to for a toad or TV.

The poll isn't close right now, MH's with toads seem to be the most popular.

It's funny to me but I have gone back and forth on this for a couple of years now doing research. Year or so ago I was all over 5er's, then I backed off that and looked at MH's then to TT's as of late do to all of this towing/toad stuff I need to figure out.

One other factor I see is many of the CG's in areas I would go to during winter seem to only allow MH's, usually class A's and 5er's less than 10 years old (or under their discretion that it looks ok to be parked on their property).

For me Class A's although very nice, I find gasser models to be to much of a load, just seems like a giant vehicle to be powered by gas, and DP's very costly.

I've seen some class c/super c's like Dynamax and Nexus, some gas some Diesels that seem nice, but CG's might not let them in.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRodeo View Post
While trying to get a nice TT for my current TV we came to realize my TV was not going to get the job done and not wanting to have DD that is large enough to do the job we felt the need to check out MH's and use one of our current DD's as a toad.

Simple right? Wrong, Neither of my DD's can be used as a 4 down toad

That leaves me with needing to change out one of my DD's if we go MH route. Not that's a hard thing to do but it's one more consideration.

Bottom line is this "easy way" to just buy a RV to enjoy warm winters has become much harder than I thought originally.

So if you were trying to jump into this RV thing and wanted quality and comfortable living quarters for 4 months at a crack, traveling 6k miles per year what would be your choice?

poll is TT and proper TV
5er and proper TV
MH and toad
FirstRodeo, I almost feel like we owe you an apology. You came on the forum with a Toyota wanting to get an RV and asking a few questions. The members, myself included, began throwing stats, numbers, our own personal opinions, the need for 50' minimums on RVs, Peterbuilt tow vehicles, etc, etc..... While all this was done with the best of intentions, I fear we have succeeded in only making the topic of RVing confusing and left you wondering should you just take up golf instead. You have a truck that is capable of safely and efficiently towing many of the new and used a TT's available down the roadway and allowing you to decide if you even enjoy this kind of recreation or not. I applaud you in attempting to gather info to make an informed decision. Don't let all the overwhelming tips and advice being tossed your way conceal the fact that you can roll down to the RV dealership tomorrow, purchase an RV that your current vehicle will handle, and ya'll can be camping this weekend if you desire! Good luck as the search continues!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Having owned over the last 20 years a hybrid, travel trailer, Class A, and now a 5th wheel the 5th wheel fits our current travel style the best. I retired a year ago and now can take my time traveling to destinations and spend more time on location. For us the 5th wheel gives us a more open and homelike feel vs our old Class A. While my TV gets less MPG than the standard toad for me it’s more versatile.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
FirstRodeo, I almost feel like we owe you an apology. You came on the forum with a Toyota wanting to get an RV and asking a few questions. The members, myself included, began throwing stats, numbers, our own personal opinions, the need for 50' minimums on RVs, Peterbuilt tow vehicles, etc, etc..... While all this was done with the best of intentions, I fear we have succeeded in only making the topic of RVing confusing and left you wondering should you just take up golf instead. You have a truck that is capable of safely and efficiently towing many of the new and used a TT's available down the roadway and allowing you to decide if you even enjoy this kind of recreation or not. I applaud you in attempting to gather info to make an informed decision. Don't let all the overwhelming tips and advice being tossed your way conceal the fact that you can roll down to the RV dealership tomorrow, purchase an RV that your current vehicle will handle, and ya'll can be camping this weekend if you desire! Good luck as the search continues!
Thank You Dropthejacks And to all of you whom have taken up my cause and answered my questions, it's very much appreciated.

Most of the replies I've received were somewhat expected, I've been a motor head and truck guy my whole life. I see many 5er's being towed by 1/2 ton trucks down the highway that don't really look safe. What happens to that 5er when you get a blow out on that truck? Can't be good and know I wouldn't be doing that.

I also know as you have pointed out to me before my TV can tow a TT, just not the one we would like.

I could just buy a mobile home in Florida cheaply and call it a day. We would much rather see the rest of the good old USA and not be stuck in one spot.

I haven't given up, just getting started by getting on this forum.

Thanks Again.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #28

If they ever make a class A with a good floor plan I would consider it. I hate the one huge open room that most have. They look like an efficiency apartment to us. Yuk