Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

This question is for Ram 2500/3500 CTD owners

Ram 2500/3500 CTD owners have any of you experienced any issues with your "Service 4WD" light coming on while towing your trailer over a bumpy or rough road?

We tow a Grand Design Transcend 26RLS that weighs 7800 lbs and who's tongue weight is 950 lbs behind our 2018 Ram 2500 CTD. We use a weight distribution hitch. The truck pulls the trailer with ease both up and down hills. The past three times that we towed over I95 through Westchester and the Bronx headed back home, we've had an issue with the truck. The first time we had our "Service 4WD" light come on and that was accompanied with a grinding noise. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the 4WD servo motor. The next time towing on that section of I95 my "Service Anti-lockbrakes" light came on. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the Anti-lock brake controler. Then on our last trip, again while on the same stretch of I95 through the Bronx and Westchester our "Service 4WD" light came on again, but we haven't had the truck into the dealer yet for repair. I could not get an appointment until next Friday. For those of you who don't know, that section of I95 is awful but it can't be avoided.

Since all of this happened to us I started doing some research and it seems that we are not the only Ram CTD 2500 or 3500 owners who've had issues towing over rough roads. I've seen posts on other forums and I've even seen YouTube videos where people have made the same complaint. So I'm wondering how wide spread this issue is, so I appreciate your inputs.
BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #2

I've had the service antilock brake alarm come on and it was repaired under warranty. The dealer seems to have had an argument with the manufacturer over the repair. So far no 4wd warning. No relationship to rough roads. The Cross Bronx Expressway is not the roughest road. Wish I could say the same for the neighborhood.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #3

Mine is a 2021 2500 but I only have 9100 miles on it and have only towed "down south" and so far no warning lights or codes.

Question: What other forums have you read about this issue? I'm on "ramforum" and haven't seen a post about this that I can recall.
(I did see your post on the Grand Design forum)
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Come to think about it, I did have a 4wd alarm come on once, but it went away by itself. Maybe someone can enlighten us as to how the alarm works and what does it detect.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:59 PM   #5

Never heard of this, and I've been driving a Ram 2500/3500 for the past 7 years. I don't think I've ever read anything about this on any other Ram forums either.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #6

I did a search on Google using the words " ram ctd towing service 4wd light" .

Here is an example
https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/my.../#post-2197768

I also did a similar seach on YouTube and saw a couple videos where people also complained about the service 4wd light.

Look I'm not trying to start trouble, I was hoping that someone else has had this issue and I'd like to know how they fixed it.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
I did a search on Google using the words " ram ctd towing service 4wd light" .

Here is an example
https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/my.../#post-2197768

I also did a similar seach on YouTube and saw a couple videos where people also complained about the service 4wd light.

Look I'm not trying to start trouble, I was hoping that someone else has had this issue and I'd like to know how they fixed it.
I don't think anyone believes you're trying to start trouble... we just aren't aware of the issue. I'm interested to see what you find out.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
I don't think think you're starting trouble, I would also like to know a solution ahead of time "just in case".
I just never heard of this before, but then again I'm really a 2wd guy. This is the first 4wd I've had in many many years.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #9

I guess "trouble" wasn't really what I meant, maybe I should have used "controversy" instead.

We bought this truck new in Jan 2019 to use as our tow vehicle. We used it quite a bit the first year, but not much the second due to Covid. This year things started to return to normal with more campgrounds open. So we planned more trips and we had an issue with the truck every time that we took it on a trip....every single time! One issue was fixed by a RAM dealer in VA. We also had a starting issue that no dealer seemed to be able to fix. It finally came to head when we were camping in the woods in West Virginia (Beautiful State!). We were all hitched up and truck would not start, no matter what. So I got out my tool box and spent about an hour tightening up every electrical connection under the hood. Let me tell you that there were quite a few loose connections! Why couldn't either dealer fix that I'll never know. Since I did that, the truck starts every time.

My personal feeling is the front end on the truck takes a pounding due to weight of the diesel engine, the crappy Firestone tires and the cheapo shocks used by RAM. When towing our weight distribution hitch only acerbates the situation, putting even more weight on to the front end. Combine all that with a bumpy road like the Cross Bronx Expressway and all hell breaks loose! The last three times that I towed over that stretch of i95 my dash board idiot lights lit up like a Christmas tree!

To me this sounds like a fairly complicated issue to fix and I am relying upon a bunch of local dealer mechanics who couldn't figure out that loose electrical connections might cause a starting issue. So I have little faith that they can fix this issue. I searched the web and did find some people who report similar issues, but no one mentioned any fixes.

If I sound frustrated its because I am. I've owned 3 other pickup trucks (92 Dodge, 1999 F150 and 2006 Tundra) that were all rock solid reliable. My Ram 2500 has been in shop more than all three of my other trucks combined and it was more expensive than all three combined! Please don't suggest the Lemon Law, I've already looked into it. Had COVID not happened, maybe it would apply, because on paper it looks like we've had 2 years trouble free when I reality the truck saw little use during that time.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #10

You might be on to something with loose electrical connections since it takes a rough road to cause your problem I would be checking all the connections on the truck especially the grounding points, the can cause all kinds of weird problems
monte433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte433 View Post
You might be on to something with loose electrical connections since it takes a rough road to cause your problem I would be checking all the connections on the truck especially the grounding points, the can cause all kinds of weird problems
This. When I had trouble with wipers and horn and a few other glitches on my 05 gasser, I removed, cleaned, and re attached all the ground wires I could find including the battery connection. Then I added one more from the battery to the chassis in the engine bay.
Never one more problem.

I hope this helps and you can get confidence back.

And this is my 4th Dodge Ram, second CTD (I had a 91) and all so far were reliable until rust took them out.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
I guess "trouble" wasn't really what I meant, maybe I should have used "controversy" instead.

We bought this truck new in Jan 2019 to use as our tow vehicle. We used it quite a bit the first year, but not much the second due to Covid. This year things started to return to normal with more campgrounds open. So we planned more trips and we had an issue with the truck every time that we took it on a trip....every single time! One issue was fixed by a RAM dealer in VA. We also had a starting issue that no dealer seemed to be able to fix. It finally came to head when we were camping in the woods in West Virginia (Beautiful State!). We were all hitched up and truck would not start, no matter what. So I got out my tool box and spent about an hour tightening up every electrical connection under the hood. Let me tell you that there were quite a few loose connections! Why couldn't either dealer fix that I'll never know. Since I did that, the truck starts every time.

My personal feeling is the front end on the truck takes a pounding due to weight of the diesel engine, the crappy Firestone tires and the cheapo shocks used by RAM. When towing our weight distribution hitch only acerbates the situation, putting even more weight on to the front end. Combine all that with a bumpy road like the Cross Bronx Expressway and all hell breaks loose! The last three times that I towed over that stretch of i95 my dash board idiot lights lit up like a Christmas tree!

To me this sounds like a fairly complicated issue to fix and I am relying upon a bunch of local dealer mechanics who couldn't figure out that loose electrical connections might cause a starting issue. So I have little faith that they can fix this issue. I searched the web and did find some people who report similar issues, but no one mentioned any fixes.

If I sound frustrated its because I am. I've owned 3 other pickup trucks (92 Dodge, 1999 F150 and 2006 Tundra) that were all rock solid reliable. My Ram 2500 has been in shop more than all three of my other trucks combined and it was more expensive than all three combined! Please don't suggest the Lemon Law, I've already looked into it. Had COVID not happened, maybe it would apply, because on paper it looks like we've had 2 years trouble free when I reality the truck saw little use during that time.
Your WDH shouldn't put more weight on the front end. It's only supposed to return a portion of the lost weight
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Ram 2500/3500 CTD owners have any of you experienced any issues with your "Service 4WD" light coming on while towing your trailer over a bumpy or rough road?

We tow a Grand Design Transcend 26RLS that weighs 7800 lbs and who's tongue weight is 950 lbs behind our 2018 Ram 2500 CTD. We use a weight distribution hitch. The truck pulls the trailer with ease both up and down hills. The past three times that we towed over I95 through Westchester and the Bronx headed back home, we've had an issue with the truck. The first time we had our "Service 4WD" light come on and that was accompanied with a grinding noise. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the 4WD servo motor. The next time towing on that section of I95 my "Service Anti-lockbrakes" light came on. We took it to the dealer and they replaced the Anti-lock brake controler. Then on our last trip, again while on the same stretch of I95 through the Bronx and Westchester our "Service 4WD" light came on again, but we haven't had the truck into the dealer yet for repair. I could not get an appointment until next Friday. For those of you who don't know, that section of I95 is awful but it can't be avoided.

Since all of this happened to us I started doing some research and it seems that we are not the only Ram CTD 2500 or 3500 owners who've had issues towing over rough roads. I've seen posts on other forums and I've even seen YouTube videos where people have made the same complaint. So I'm wondering how wide spread this issue is, so I appreciate your inputs.

Will you just might have gotten a lemon, I do not Know!

But between myself and my two son's, we currently own four Dodge/Ram Cummins trucks. My older son has a 12V, 1996 3/4 ton with an auto (won't sell) and a 2006, 5.9L auto long bed truck (show truck, 800HP dyno). My younger son has a 2500HD, 2013.5 truck with the 6.7L Cummins, 6SPD auto, daily driver in IL. I have a 2500HD, 2008, 6.7L Cummins, 6SPD auto pulling my 5er for the last 143,000 miles on the OD and a daily driver in IL.

None of us have had any electrical issues with our trucks. That is not to say that some things did need to be serviced or that we have not had some recalls done to our trucks. But as vehicles go they are just as dependable as any other man made thing.

All three of us will do our own maintenance such as oil changes, fluid changes for the powertrain, fuel filters, coolant changes and most serviceable items such as driveshafts, u-joints, water pumps and so forth.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #14

I found this guy on youtube with a similar issue and if you read the comments lower down on the page other people claim to have the same or similar issue.

And another similar complaint http://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?th...wd-error.5634/

My repair appointment isn't until Friday....I guess I'm not surprised that the dealer is very busy. Anyway, in the mean time I plugged in my ODB scanner and the code C147B was found. 1 drivetrain control module code. it says "front axle disconnect sensor circuit performance".

I'm not sure what all that means but, at least there is code stored.