Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #1

Thought this was interesting. Tesla pickup.

https://electrek.co/2018/06/27/tesla-pickup-truck-everything-we-know/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The URL in your post did not convert into a clickable link. So here it is again:

https://electrek.co/2018/06/27/tesla...thing-we-know/
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The URL in your post did not convert into a clickable link. So here it is again:

https://electrek.co/2018/06/27/tesla...thing-we-know/
Thank you smoky. I should have checked.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

‘300,000 lbs of towing capacity’.

I'll wait until the 200T version is available.....
ohiost90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #5

For us, the real question will be 'what range at what towing capacity?'. 400 miles range at zero load is worthless just like 300k lbs at say 300 ft range would be worthless. However, yesterday I was surprised to see a Tesla sedan pulling a tandem axle cargo trailer with a 6 x 8 ft box size. And this wasn't in town. Deplete the battery bank on the highway and ?? Are there ERS vehicles with rapid chargers??
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
For us, the real question will be 'what range at what towing capacity?'. 400 miles range at zero load is worthless just like 300k lbs at say 300 ft range would be worthless. However, yesterday I was surprised to see a Tesla sedan pulling a tandem axle cargo trailer with a 6 x 8 ft box size. And this wasn't in town. Deplete the battery bank on the highway and ?? Are there ERS vehicles with rapid chargers??
Some areas have ERS vehicles with small DC Fast charge capability. Of course one should be aware of fast charging facilities along your route. There should be no reason other than poor planning to run out of energy. The fast charge networks are getting pretty extensive in many places. Tesla Model X is rated for 4000 pound towing capacity. It can accelerate from zero to 60 pulling its rated load at under 6 seconds.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thought this was interesting. Tesla pickup.

In a Oregon south coast state park I talked to a guy pulling a good sized airstream (25+ feet) with a Tesla. Unsure of the model. He said he had no problem and range wasn’t restricted all that much, but I didn’t get exact numbers. In the west coast ( CA OR, Wa. the “ Tesla fast charge” network is pretty substantial.
Hwy 101 on the coast has several spaced out . His comment in talking was the airstream was light and easy to pull with the electric torque making it very easy! if going a longer day he stopped for a late lunch and could recharge in a hour or so. The Tesla superchargers are almost always near shopping or restaurants. They almost always have a plaza of 8 or more chargers available.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
In a Oregon south coast state park I talked to a guy pulling a good sized airstream (25+ feet) with a Tesla. Unsure of the model. He said he had no problem and range wasn’t restricted all that much, but I didn’t get exact numbers. In the west coast the “ Tesla”fast charge network is pretty substantial.
Hwy 101 on the coast has several spaced out . His comment in talking was the airstream was light and easy to pull with the electric torque making it very easy.if going a longer day he stopped for a late lunch and could recharge in a hour or so. The Tesla superchargers are almost always near shopping or restaurants.
Tesla’s can also use the Chademo fast charge network (the one we use with our Leaf). Not as fast but still handy.

On Edit. Actually the new Chademos are almost the same as the Tesla Superchargers at 100 KW. The Tesla’s are 120 Kw. But there are many chademos still at 50 Kw. The new New ones are even faster at 350 Kw but no EV’s charge at that yet
Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #9

It really is an exciting time for vehicles right now. Self driving cars are now available and will only become more and more safe and widespread. Same goes for electric vehicles.

I'm eager to see how this Tesla pickup turns out. I suspect it will be capable, but the price tag will likely be unreachable for most, including me.

A capable, affordable self-driving, electric pickup is my holy grail. Imagine having your truck drive you around the country with your trailer in tow, never having to even think about gas mileage.
Brad34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad34 View Post
It really is an exciting time for vehicles right now. Self driving cars are now available and will only become more and more safe and widespread. Same goes for electric vehicles.

I'm eager to see how this Tesla pickup turns out. I suspect it will be capable, but the price tag will likely be unreachable for most, including me.

A capable, affordable self-driving, electric pickup is my holy grail. Imagine having your truck drive you around the country with your trailer in tow, never having to even think about gas mileage.
Yah that would be neat. But, power is not free at the commercial fast chargers. To give you an example. To full charge at home is about 3 bucks for us. At a commercial Chademo pretty close to 8 bucks. But then again we like most EVers do 90 percent of our charging at home...or more.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #11

Quite a pipe-dream, huh?

I guess dream big, or go home. Or, put a roadster into orbit?
I'm sure we (turn of century) thought this way about horseless-carriage's too.

Thought I read were the trucking industries primary plans beyond local routes, are pivotal on using Interchangeable "leased" Battery Cassettes, that are distributed / maintained throughout their intended US network(s).
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
. There should be no reason other than poor planning to run out of energy. The fast charge networks are getting pretty extensive in many places. Tesla Model X is rated for 4000 pound towing capacity. It can accelerate from zero to 60 pulling its rated load at under 6 seconds.
My real point is that when towing it will be hard to predict range. As much as fuel mileage varies due to headwinds, mountains and road conditions unfamiliar to an RVer with today's vehicles, same will exist with an electric vehicle. Until there are large vehicle charging stations along major routes towing cross country will be difficult. An electric tow vehicle should experience the same reduction in range while towing as gas or diesel vehicles.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #13

Excellent point, some marketers would have us believe they're offering an optional perpetual motion package...?
Small scale, everyone using a smartphone can observe illustrious overstated battery claims.
Just yesterday I watch a fellow at a nearby lake running his R/C speed boat.
Fast as all get out, 3 ft. rooster-tails. After about 7-10 min. not so much. Cool though.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
My real point is that when towing it will be hard to predict range. As much as fuel mileage varies due to headwinds, mountains and road conditions unfamiliar to an RVer with today's vehicles, same will exist with an electric vehicle. Until there are large vehicle charging stations along major routes towing cross country will be difficult. An electric tow vehicle should experience the same reduction in range while towing as gas or diesel vehicles.
I would think you are right. We haven’t towed with our EV but I have talked to those who have and there’s is a significant hit on range.

But the Continental wide charging is becoming a reality pretty quick though.