Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 06:38 AM   #43

Bogus statement.

Even my F-450 diesel knew it was towing a 6,500lb trailer. MPG was 13 mpg down from 16 mpg driving solo. Try towing the speed limit.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 07:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JetDoc View Post
My 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 is equipped with the 3.0 liter EcoDiesel engine. It also has the factory towing package, 3.55 gears and factory air ride suspension. Up until last month, we towed a 32 foot travel trailer with a GVWR of 7600 lbs. We used an EAZ Lift weight distributing hitch with sway control.

I understand that this combination is near the factory rated limits for towing with my truck and I always dump holding tanks and drain the fresh water before heading out on the road.

The truck handles the weight of the trailer like it wasn't there. I set the transmission to tow/haul mode and the cruise control to 65 MPH. We have towed Interstate 90 between Spokane, WA and Rapids City, SD, up and over mountain passes several times with no problems.
Good to hear. I believe a 3.0 liter diesel is the ideal engine for a half ton. I once towed a 7600 lb trailer with a 3.0 liter diesel SUV and it was more than adequate. Plus I got 16.5 mpg towing.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Good to hear. I believe a 3.0 liter diesel is the ideal engine for a half ton. I once towed a 7600 lb trailer with a 3.0 liter diesel SUV and it was more than adequate. Plus I got 16.5 mpg towing.
The 3.5 Ecoboost gas V6 has more HP and more TQ than any of the 3 3.0 diesels. So that makes the 3.5 Ecoboost the ideal engine for a halfton.
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:35 AM   #46

The Eco Diesel gets amazing mileage though, although I read one comment a few years ago stating they're about as much fun as going to an insurance convention. lol I guess they don't have much get up and go?

I agree, the truck pretty much always knows when there's a trailer behind it. I knew when I had 4-5000 lbs behind my F150, but I'm wondering how it will feel behind the new F350 DRW. Maybe I'll truly be able to make the claim that the truck doesn't even know it's there?
mto502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:58 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
The 3.5 Ecoboost gas V6 has more HP and more TQ than any of the 3 3.0 diesels. So that makes the 3.5 Ecoboost the ideal engine for a halfton.
The gas mileage of the Ecoboost drops off rapidly when you put a load on it. It may be OK around town but it's not a good tow engine.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #48

Talk about a mileage drop.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:37 AM   #49

Quote:
The gas mileage of the Ecoboost drops off rapidly when you put a load on it. It may be OK around town but it's not a good tow engine.
You are absolutely correct as far as mileage drop. I've had my 3.5 Ecoboost for 6 years now; my overall average mileage stands at 20.7 mpg for those 6 years. Towing a trailer at highway speeds drops that down to 13-14 mpg. But if you are OK with that mileage drop I can assure you the truck will tow well - there is no lack of power, no hunting through the gears, with the trailer behind it. That engine is amazing. So if you are towing all the time a diesel would be a better choice. For occasional towing the 3.5 Ecoboost is just fine.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:00 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JetDoc View Post
Don't knock it until you have tried it!
I've towed our 6K TT for well over 14K miles with our properly equipped RAM 1500 in every condition imaginable without a problem. Having said that, I do use common sense when conditions dictate standing down!
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
You are absolutely correct as far as mileage drop. I've had my 3.5 Ecoboost for 6 years now; my overall average mileage stands at 20.7 mpg for those 6 years. Towing a trailer at highway speeds drops that down to 13-14 mpg. But if you are OK with that mileage drop I can assure you the truck will tow well - there is no lack of power, no hunting through the gears, with the trailer behind it. That engine is amazing. So if you are towing all the time a diesel would be a better choice. For occasional towing the 3.5 Ecoboost is just fine.
Right. It all depends on how much you tow. I once calculated that towing with a 3.0 liter diesel SUV the breakeven point on the $3000 diesel option was about 30,000 miles.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Of course the MPG drops when towing. No brainer. Does not make it only good for driving around town. It is actually made for towing and doing work which is why Ford gives it that low rpm 500+ lb ft tq.
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:09 PM   #53

the ram forums are full of folks that seem to be happy with the towing capability of the 3.0L dsl. towing a trailer similar to my 28' 6000# travel trailer many report 14 or so mpg and good results towing in the high altitudes. my ram 5.7 only gets 8.5 -10 towing even tho it is very comfortable doing it. the fuel savings and better pulling in the mountains make it a pretty attractive option.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
Of course the MPG drops when towing. No brainer. Does not make it only good for driving around town. It is actually made for towing and doing work which is why Ford gives it that low rpm 500+ lb ft tq.
I noticed that there are people who quickly dismiss a product that do not have experience with it.

As I mentioned before my F150 EB pulled better than my chevy 5.7L.

I'm not sure how the other person came to the conclusion that they don't make good tow vehicles unless they are baiting for a response.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:30 AM   #55

Ford IMHO has the best truck engines. I test drove a 2022 F-150 3.5 Eco-Boost and was really impressed. It was a very solid truck. It is interesting that Toyota now uses a 3.5 litre turbo engine in their 2022 Tundra. Ram will also start using turbo engines. Ford did this 11 years ago!!!

If GM had new, more powerful engines they might have the best truck but I feel their engines are old. That 5.3 really needs updated.

Even Fords 5.0 coyote engine is as powerful as the Ram 5.7.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #56

Turbo engines definitely have their advantages; better empty mileage, lots of power, ability to easily modify for more power, less susceptible to power loss due to elevation.....but they are also more expensive, more complicated and, in the long term, more prone to expensive repairs (I currently have seven turbocharged vehicles).

As far as the F150 goes, it's a great truck as long as it's used appropriately.....one issue is that because the engine is pretty stout, many people overestimate it's towing abilities.....there's more to a safe and stable tow than power. Also the powerplant isn't designed for sustained maximum output (like towing heavy up a long grade) compared to an engine like the SuperDuty's 7.3 gas engine.....big difference in maintaining temps, etc. and in the long term, I'd suspect a fair difference in longevity. https://tfltruck.com/2021/06/video-f...sed-to-happen/

2 cents,
Dave

Tags
tow, towing