Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 07:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescudiver1 View Post
I currently have a 2006 Dodge Mega cab with the hemi. I pull a 35' fifth wheel. Chassis under the mega cab is actually a 2500 rating but the say it's 1500 on the side strictly for the insurance company.
This truck will pull a mountain but it lives one thing and that is a gas station. Freeway empty at 14 gallons per mile. Loaded normal is 9.5gpm.

We have just purchased our HDT (Volvo 780). Stepping up to a larger trailer so I wanted something that would be more safe with us. By the way our HDT get close to 10gpm. And I have three times the truck.
How does a Volvo 780 semi-tractor compare to a Ram 1500 for towing? If you need something that big to tow a camper trailer, you're FAR out of the range of this conversation.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 04:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiejack75 View Post
Exactly my experience. Coil rear end rides nice around town, but is terrible for towing. Air bags, tires, shocks are bandaids. That trailer would be the largest I would personally try to tow with a 1/2 ton, especially the Ram. Not knocking the truck, they are very nice vehicles. I would never buy one for towing. Just my opinion. Worth every penny you paid for it. Good luck and safe travels!
I'm having difficulty understanding why the coil spring suspension on the RAM is an issue. I've towed a 6500 lb TT well over 20K miles without any control issues. My 5.7 equipped 1500 quad cab with the tow package has yet to put me in a white knuckle moment. I will say that I run LT tires and my Husky Centerline TS hitch is properly adjusted/tuned. I run my rear tires 4-5 PSI over what the door jamb sticker specifies. Purchased a Curt Better Weigh module and compared it to CAT scale numbers and found it to be 3% + or - the scale numbers. Every time we load up for a trip I use the module to check that weight numbers are where they should be. Mileage numbers towing are between 8 & 12 MPG, terrain dependent.
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIjoe View Post
I'm having difficulty understanding why the coil spring suspension on the RAM is an issue. I've towed a 6500 lb TT well over 20K miles without any control issues. My 5.7 equipped 1500 quad cab with the tow package has yet to put me in a white knuckle moment. I will say that I run LT tires and my Husky Centerline TS hitch is properly adjusted/tuned. I run my rear tires 4-5 PSI over what the door jamb sticker specifies. Purchased a Curt Better Weigh module and compared it to CAT scale numbers and found it to be 3% + or - the scale numbers. Every time we load up for a trip I use the module to check that weight numbers are where they should be. Mileage numbers towing are between 8 & 12 MPG, terrain dependent.
People have a bias against coil springs. It used to be that every vehicle had leaf springs. Then coils came along and they were installed first on smaller cars and then on larger cars and now on trucks. Then there's the image that they could just flop over easily while leafs would some how maintain their stability. But I believe coils are better, if not more expensive, and that some day coils will replace leafs on all vehicles. RAM claims that they ride better and that braking is better and that's probably true. As for maintaining lateral sway stability I think that with properly designed stabilizer bars there is no problem. It's a myth.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:47 PM   #32

I have a '19 ram 1500 Laramie and I traded a '17 low mileage gmc 1500 SLT for it. the gmc did feel a little more rigid but I had also added 1 leaf to the rear. the ram gives a more comfortable ride but I have changed out the sway bar and I run 20-25# in the air bags when towing and a little more air in the tires. seems stiff enough when towing my 6000# 28' travel trailer. I get very little push from passing big rigs but I do get some from cross wind gusts that I wish I could tune out. the 8 speed tranny and 5.7 with 3.92 gears just tows much better than the jimmy but it had the crappy 6 speed they were putting them. now they come with better trans options. I forgot to mention the brakes. they seem to be very powerful and with the trailer having 4 wheel brakes, I have always been able shut things down as needed.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223m70 View Post
Downsizing from a 32' Class A gasser towing a Jeep Wrangler 4 door and looking at a tow vehicle for a smaller travel trailer. I found a 2019 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 locally that still has about 5 years/50,000 miles of warranty.

5.7l Heni w/8sp auto
GVWR 7100
Payload 1947 (per sticker)
Wheelbase 140"
Trailer Tow Group Option
3.92 Gears
Max Tow 10000+ (don't remember exactly)

I want to be able to tow a 22-24' trailer with a GVWR of around 6500lbs in the western US including up Sierra passes. From what I have been reading this seems like a reasonable match, but also want to get input from those that have experience towing.

TIA
Asinine.
Get a 2500.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:39 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
People have a bias against coil springs. It used to be that every vehicle had leaf springs. Then coils came along and they were installed first on smaller cars and then on larger cars and now on trucks. Then there's the image that they could just flop over easily while leafs would some how maintain their stability. But I believe coils are better, if not more expensive, and that some day coils will replace leafs on all vehicles. RAM claims that they ride better and that braking is better and that's probably true. As for maintaining lateral sway stability I think that with properly designed stabilizer bars there is no problem. It's a myth.

The concept/engineering behind coils is fine and I agree; in most ways they are "better" but the reality is that in practical terms, manufacturer's continue to use coil springs in lighter duty vehicles, hence the bias. .....Ram 3500 vs 2500 for eg. They could make a coil sprung vehicle that has the payload capacity of a leaf sprung HD pickup but they don't.

Dave
Old 05-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Kono View Post
Asinine.

Get a 2500.

Asinine response.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Asinine response.
He's on every thread trying to trigger someone.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
He's on every thread trying to trigger someone.
One in every crowd I guess?
GIjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Kono View Post
Asinine.
Get a 2500.

propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #39

The half ton RAM offers a 3.0 diesel, which is ideal for towing. GM also has one. Ford did away with their diesel F-150.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
The half ton RAM offers a 3.0 diesel, which is ideal for towing. GM also has one. Ford did away with their diesel F-150.
My 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 is equipped with the 3.0 liter EcoDiesel engine. It also has the factory towing package, 3.55 gears and factory air ride suspension. Up until last month, we towed a 32 foot travel trailer with a GVWR of 7600 lbs. We used an EAZ Lift weight distributing hitch with sway control.

I understand that this combination is near the factory rated limits for towing with my truck and I always dump holding tanks and drain the fresh water before heading out on the road.

The truck handles the weight of the trailer like it wasn't there. I set the transmission to tow/haul mode and the cruise control to 65 MPH. We have towed Interstate 90 between Spokane, WA and Rapids City, SD, up and over mountain passes several times with no problems.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:10 AM   #41

I always question when people say 'my 150p series truck tows my trailer like it isnt there'. I call bogus

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:36 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I always question when people say 'my 150p series truck tows my trailer like it isnt there'. I call bogus

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Don't knock it until you have tried it!

Tags
tow, towing