Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Thoughts on a 2019 Sequoia towing an Escape 21?

I am a newbie that has not yet bought a tow vehicle or trailer. I have read many of the posts in this discussion and have read extensively on towing on numerous sites. I have a good "book" knowledge of towing but haven't towed anything for 40 years. I've used various tow calculators reccommended here: Changin' gears, RV Tow Check and Truck and trailer weight calculator. The results appear to support the ability of the Sequoia to tow with a 15-20% safety margin. Here are the numbers of the TV and the trailer:

Sequoia 4WD
GVWR - 7,300
GCWR - 13,600
Curb wt - 5,730
GAWR front - 4,000
GAWR rear - 4,280
Cargo cap. - 1,275
Tow cap. 4WD - 7,100
Tongue max. - 650

Escape 21
GVWR - 5,000
UVW + options & - 3,650
propane

GAWR front - 3,015
GAWR rear - 3,015

I expect to have 800-1000 lbs of personal gear which will be split between the TV and the trailer as needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 PM   #2

My knee jerk response is you will be fine.

But then I saw the 1,200 lb cargo capacity which is on the low side. And the more I looked the less I liked your numbers. The Sequoia will be maxxed out as far as cargo. I am actually surprised at how low it is for such a big SUV.

I lugged a 5,000lb trailer around for a few years. I knew I was towing what felt heavy with my Honda Ridgeline.

How/why did you settle on the Sequoia? I am thinking you need a bit more cargo capacity.

Oh, I just drove through Cincinnati on my way to Columbus coming from Florida. The 1st thing I did was stop for Skyline Chilli...yum yum.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You'll be pretty over the cargo cap. You'll also struggle at any sort of mountain. That 5.7 guzzles gas and loses power at elevation. I recommend an Expedition EL.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I tend to agree that the lower cargo limit on the Sequoia is going to be a problem. One of my neighbor's tows an Escape 21 with a Ridgeline, but he's got over 1500 payload. You could load up the Sequoia with all the passengers and cargo you expect to carry when towing plus a full fuel tank and run it over a CAT scale. Subtract that value from the GVWR of 7300 to see how much cargo capacity is left for tongue weight. That would allow you to more realistically size a trailer that fits within the available capacity.

When we had our RAM 1500, which was even lower payload than your Sequoia, we had to compromise on a bit smaller camper or get a bigger TV. At the time we opted for the smaller camper. The Escape 17 is a bit lighter with a GVWR of 4000. We towed our single axle 195RB over 25K miles during the 4+ years we had it and it worked out great.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #5

We have an "18 Sequoia that we tow a 6000# tritoon. I won't say it "struggles" but its definitely not a vehicle that I would recommend for a tow vehicle on long trips. Fuel mpg drops from 18mpg to 8.5-9 while towing.

Tags
tow, towing