Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2022, 05:11 AM   #1

Thoughts on this combo

We are in the process of downsizing to a Winnebago Mini Wini (3500 lbs) and a 2021 Ford Ranger TV.
To learn all I can I became a member of a Ford Ranger message board.
Recently, on that board, someone (a newbie to towing) posted about using a Ford Ranger (with tow package) to tow a 29 foot 6100 lb. TT.
It would only be towed long distances occasionally as their job required and mostly in the central/mid-west part of the country
They were looking for input as to the worthiness of the Ranger to do the job.
I am wondering what the members of this board would say to him.

Best regards to all.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 05:24 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tow 29 foot 6100 lb. TT with a midsize pickup? I wouldn't advise it, and I would also point them to this video for a cautionary tale:

Old 01-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #3

Hell we see pictures of a over turned one ton drw trucks with 5th wheel or a TTs ...which proves nothing. However....The you tube is a great vid for promoting the use of WD hitch/sway bar use for a bumper pull trailer. I'm surprised the couple in the vid made it as far as they did before tail wagging the dog bit them hard.

Like all "will it tow this trailer" questions we see on rv websites without any weight specs/engine tranny combo gear ratio year model/etc for the Ranger we can only guess and make all kinds of pro and con comments.

Same with the trailer.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:48 AM   #4

I wouldn't do it myself, but.......

A buddy of mine recently purchased a new Ranger with tow package. He's never RV'd before and was inquiring about the size of TT he could tow.

The 'problem' with the Ranger is that the amount of payload typically offered is pretty good. This allows for some somewhat hefty trailer weights when you follow the conventional rule of thumb methods for calculating.

Here is a breakdown done for his specific truck, allowing for 13% tongue weight and a typical load of people and gear. His truck actually worked out to a maximum 6100 pound trailer:

Sticker Payload: 1,433 lbs

Subtract the following:
 Tonneau cover - 60 lbs
 Bedliner - 30 lbs
 Occupants - 350 lbs
 Misc. gear in truck - 100 lbs
 Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) - 100 lbs

Total: 640 lbs

1,433 Ė 640 = 793

793 / .13 = 6,100 lbs MAX trailer weight

I don't know what the axle ratings are on the Ranger, perhaps the front or rear could be exceeded with a 6K trailer, but on paper you can tow a nice sized TT if you go with the usual method of trying to stay under payload. As I recall the hitch is pretty beefy as well, so no chance exceeding tongue weight either on a trailer this size.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:59 AM   #5

First question always has to be is that 6100 pound weight the dry weight of trailer or fully loaded weight at the scale.

I had a 2015 Canyon in a previous life. It had similar specs to the Ranger. I would never had tried to tow a 6100 pound travel trailer. Maybe a utility trailer at 6100 pounds, but a travel trailer would be too much to deal with in crosswind or headwind. Of course, my occupants and bed gear numbers probably come out about 200 pounds heavier than that, since I weigh in at 250 pounds in my skivvies alone.

I looked at some TT back when I had my Canyon, and that is why I now own a Silverado. I just couldn't find a TT that met our wants that was not pushing the envelope.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:04 AM   #6

Not a chance I'd tow a 29', 6,100 lb (GVWR, I hope not dry weight!) with a Ranger......that would be the max I'd tow with a half ton truck.

Dave
Old 01-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #7

Ford Ranger and a Winne Minnie

I donít know what your Ford Rangerís actual towing specifications are. However, the Winnie Minnie is most likely too heavy for interstate highway towing.

https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...fications=true

Winnegago Minnie Specifications
2201MB 2500FL 2529RG 2301BHS 2801BHS
GVWR (lbs.) 8800 8800 8800 8800 8800
Axles (lbs.) 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400
Dry Weight (lbs.) 5,774 6,134 6,240 6,148 6,720

Even with these numbers, your Winne Minnie may be different. See the weight sticker on the front left side of the trailer. Actual weight loaded for travel is actually what you need.

If you are using the dry weight, you donít know what you are doing. You should let someone else do your calculations. Only the GVWR matters when planning a proper tow vehicle.

Note: Published tongue weights are fictitious. Only actual measured weight is useful. Both my TTís came in at more than double the published tongue weights.

2021 Ford Ranger

There are Ford Rangers, and then there are other Ford Rangers. Without exact specs on which Ford Ranger and what option, all advice is just a wild guess. Start here:

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos...or-my-vehicle/

Even after correctly following all specification links, any individual truck can be different. Leave room for unexpected events. Check the weight stickers in the driverís door frame.

If the calculations come close to the maximum ratings, get a bigger tow vehicle or a smaller trailer.

Actual weights while towing are what matter. You canít know actual weights until you load the rig for travel and take it to a truck scale. Leave room for unexpected events.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:53 PM   #8

Most members would likely tell them NO. For myself, I honestly see very few advantages to having a small truck like a Ranger or Colorado/Canyon vs a 1/2 ton F150 or Silverado/Sierra. The fuel mileage is often close. Repairs on the smaller trucks are generally much more expensive than the 1/2 tons simply due to economy of scale and availability/competition.

The 1/2 tons usually have better payload, are more capable, more interior and passenger room, larger truck beds, and since they're heavier, they handle sway and windy conditions better.

My personal cutoff for towing with these smaller trucks is 3500-4000lbs IF everything is in spec. I wouldn't tow much more than 5500-6000lbs with most 1/2 tons on the market except for special builds.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #9

Traveling Robert tows a Mini Winnie with a Colorado.
Watch his Videos on YouTube, he has no problems.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
We are in the process of downsizing to a Winnebago Mini Wini (3500 lbs) and a 2021 Ford Ranger TV.
To learn all I can I became a member of a Ford Ranger message board.
Recently, on that board, someone (a newbie to towing) posted about using a Ford Ranger (with tow package) to tow a 29 foot 6100 lb. TT.
It would only be towed long distances occasionally as their job required and mostly in the central/mid-west part of the country
They were looking for input as to the worthiness of the Ranger to do the job.
I am wondering what the members of this board would say to him.

Best regards to all.
If you NEVER go out on the highway you will be around to talk about your trips with the Ranger pulling the camper. You need a longer heavier truck in my opinion.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
Traveling Robert tows a Mini Winnie with a Colorado.
Watch his Videos on YouTube, he has no problems.
Actually, it’s not a mini Winnie. It’s a Micro Minnie. And yes, it’s perfectly safe to tow one with a mid-size pickup. I’ve got a Canyon Denali 4x4 with 3.6L gas engine towing a 2108ds with 4,600lb wet weight. I’m near the max on payload, but towing very comfortably with a good WDH and anti sway. The Canyon/Colorado pair has pretty close to the same towing specs and payload as the Ranger, so OP should be ok with a Ranger towing any trailer less than 6,000lb GVWR properly equipped with WDH. The main thing to watch is payload and tongue weight. If you exceed 600lb of wet tongue weight with these trucks, you’ll likely exceed the tv rear GAWR and/or GVWR. IMHO, not possible with a family. Anything more than a couple, with typical bed and cabin loading, will send you over the payload rating.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I donít know what your Ford Rangerís actual towing specifications are. However, the Winnie Minnie is most likely too heavy for interstate highway towing.

https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...fications=true

Winnegago Minnie Specifications
2201MB 2500FL 2529RG 2301BHS 2801BHS
GVWR (lbs.) 8800 8800 8800 8800 8800
Axles (lbs.) 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400 2 @ 4,400
Dry Weight (lbs.) 5,774 6,134 6,240 6,148 6,720

Even with these numbers, your Winne Minnie may be different. See the weight sticker on the front left side of the trailer. Actual weight loaded for travel is actually what you need.

If you are using the dry weight, you donít know what you are doing. You should let someone else do your calculations. Only the GVWR matters when planning a proper tow vehicle.

Note: Published tongue weights are fictitious. Only actual measured weight is useful. Both my TTís came in at more than double the published tongue weights.

2021 Ford Ranger

There are Ford Rangers, and then there are other Ford Rangers. Without exact specs on which Ford Ranger and what option, all advice is just a wild guess. Start here:

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos...or-my-vehicle/

Even after correctly following all specification links, any individual truck can be different. Leave room for unexpected events. Check the weight stickers in the driverís door frame.

If the calculations come close to the maximum ratings, get a bigger tow vehicle or a smaller trailer.

Actual weights while towing are what matter. You canít know actual weights until you load the rig for travel and take it to a truck scale. Leave room for unexpected events.
My mistake, I guess. Should have called our new TT a Micro-Minnie
Anyway FYI ... the Winnebago 1708FB we bought weighs right at 3500, two axle, 15 inch wheels and is about 20 feet long.
Our Ranger is equipped with the factory tow package rated at 7500 lbs.
Pretty sure we are on the safe side of things.

I was actually posting my question about another RVer's proposed outfit.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytwntrvlr View Post
My mistake, I guess. Should have called our new TT a Micro-Minnie
Anyway FYI ... the Winnebago 1708FB we bought weighs right at 3500, two axle, 15 inch wheels and is about 20 feet long.
Our Ranger is equipped with the factory tow package rated at 7500 lbs.
Pretty sure we are on the safe side of things.

I was actually posting my question about another RVer's proposed outfit.
Yeah the conversation fell of the rails at some point. I think you are likely fine, the 29' trailer is certainly not.

Dave
Old 01-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #14

Why a Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Most members would likely tell them NO. For myself, I honestly see very few advantages to having a small truck like a Ranger or Colorado/Canyon vs a 1/2 ton F150 or Silverado/Sierra. The fuel mileage is often close. Repairs on the smaller trucks are generally much more expensive than the 1/2 tons simply due to economy of scale and availability/competition.

The 1/2 tons usually have better payload, are more capable, more interior and passenger room, larger truck beds, and since they're heavier, they handle sway and windy conditions better.

My personal cutoff for towing with these smaller trucks is 3500-4000lbs IF everything is in spec. I wouldn't tow much more than 5500-6000lbs with most 1/2 tons on the market except for special builds.

When we decided to go with a Ranger we had finished our experience with having a 30 foot, two slide, TT. We went for a 20 foot no-slide TT so we could go with a smaller TV. Here's why a Ranger:

Small enough to fit in our 1935 era garage.
Cost thousands less than F150 with similar equipment
Same 10 speed transmission as F150
Factory tow package rated at 7500 lbs.

I can't think that the normal routine maintenance things can cost much more than a "full size" pickup. I mean smaller tires should cost less and 6 quarts of oil and a filter should be a push.

For some it would not make sense. We do plan to keep our old warhorse 2001 Silverado 2500HD 4WD w 8.1/Allison. At 100K miles it probably will last a long time in semi-retirement.