Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2022, 07:04 AM   #1

Thoughts on this Tow Setup? (Finally got CAT Scale Weights!)

Hi All,

Finished a 300 mile tow into North Georgia with this Rig a couple of weeks ago, and although I thought it towed really well, wanted to see what everyone thought of the actual weights. The only two things I saw that gave pause were 1. My receiver on the Titan is rated for 1500. Based on my calcs, i'm at 1140, so I'm legal, and as I understand these are very underrated? Second, I was surprised that my Front Axle was heavier unhooked (160lbs).

Would ya'll recommend going tighter with the WDH bolts? If so, (for those familiar with the Andersen WDH), how many turns would you adjust for this 160lb difference? Looking forward to everyone's opinions.

Thanks!

Tow Rig: 2021 Titan XD Pro4X
Payload: 1812 LBS
GCVW: 8730
GAWR: 4900
GCVWR: 17990

Trailer: 2022 Alpha Wolf 26RKL
Dry: 6048
GVWR: 7715
Hitch (MFG..HAHA): 715
Length 32'9"

WDH Hitch: Andersen 3350
Hitch Weight: 50

Cat Scale Weights (Trailer Attached, loaded for camping)
Steer Axle: 3840
Drive Axle: 4340
Trailer Axle: 6080
Gross: 14260

Cat Scale Weights (Trailer Detached, loaded as above w/occupants)
Steer Axle: 4080
Drive Axle: 3200
Trailer Axle: 00
Gross: 7280
Actaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #2

Your numbers appear to be within spec.

The front axle loses loading because the tongue weight of the trailer has a lever and fulcrum on the drive axle.

It's worth a tweak to see if you can match up the steer axle, but if it's a chore to add more tension, it's close enough for Jazz (or Rock and Roll, if your young)...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:45 PM   #3

Is it fairly level with this setup? I would think you might want to tighten up the WDH to take a little weight off of the rear axle and transfer a little more to the steering wheels. Measure the height of the front fender without the trailer and then with the trailer, with and without the weight distribution connected. I think the weight distribution should return the fender height at least half of the difference to where it is without the trailer connected.

You don't mention what kind of tires you have. If you have P rated tires rather than LT you wouldn't have as much flexibility to add more air to the rear tires to accommodate the added weight on them.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would say tighten up the springs on the wdh.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:13 PM   #5

Might I suggest a trip to the scales with the trailer ready to camp and the WDH bars OFF. This will give a baseline in axle weights and what you need to do to get them back on track.

A quick general rule is getting back 1/2 off the weight lost on the front axle of the tow vehicle. Example, tow vehicle front axle 3900lbs without trailer and 3600lbs with trailer and no WDH hooked up, then try setting the WDH so you get 3750lbs on the front axle.

A poor man's method to get close is measuring wheelwell height (fender height), then crank the WDH so the height gets halfway to where it was. Scale it once you're there.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:42 AM   #6

I see your trailer is close to 33' long. That is kinda long for the Wheelbase of a Titan XD. If you are feeling some sway that is probably why.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 01:43 PM   #7

If it pulls good, don’t change anything.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 03:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I would say tighten up the springs on the wdh.
Springs on a WDH ?
Old 04-22-2022, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
Springs on a WDH ?
The bars act as very stiff springs, I’m sure that is what he is talking about.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
Springs on a WDH ?
I think he meant the chains (there are bushings that give them a “spring” cushion). Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Actaeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, tow, weight