Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2023, 12:41 PM   #1

Tire flat spot

Hi, I just returned from a 7500 mile trip. I noticed a flat spot on my right front tire, see attached. All the other tires seem ok.

My question is what should I be looking at to see what caused this. My thought is that the tire must of locked up at some point, but I did not notice this, or The electrical armature must be locking up prematurely and the brake drum is out of round and stopping in the same spot every time.

Any input would be helpful. Iím pulling a KZ sportsman 25í fifth wheel with a F150
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04BEF149-13CA-4C4D-816A-4CA96303D6E0.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	567.9 KB
ID:	391990  
Living It is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2023, 03:03 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living It View Post
Hi, I just returned from a 7500 mile trip. I noticed a flat spot on my right front tire, see attached. All the other tires seem ok.

My question is what should I be looking at to see what caused this. My thought is that the tire must of locked up at some point, but I did not notice this, or The electrical armature must be locking up prematurely and the brake drum is out of round and stopping in the same spot every time.

Any input would be helpful. Iím pulling a KZ sportsman 25í fifth wheel with a F150
check the bearings on this axle. Your thoughts of seizure may be the right one. Doesn't appear to be a balance issue given the intense focus.
Cdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:34 PM   #3

If you had had a seizure of some type you would have known it. The steering wheel would have been yanked nearly out of your hand. I'd be inclined to think you have a broken or shifted belt in the tire. Jack the truck up and spin the wheel to see if the tire looks egg shaped as it turns or appears to wobble from side to side.
Shake the wheel from top to bottom and side to side checking for play in steering linkage and a wheel bearing also.
Old 05-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that on your truck or your trailer?

Do you have an IR gun?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:29 PM   #5

It's a 5er tire
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's a 5er tire
Sheds a whole different light on everything. Guess I should have taken a closer look!
Old 05-02-2023, 08:13 PM   #7

Blown grease seals can soak/coat brake shoes/drums allowing one wheel brake to lock up making flat spots like the picture.
One of my GN flatdeck trailer was bad about flat spotting tire on curb side aft axle.
I replaced the seal and cleaned up inside the hub. No more flat spots.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:39 AM   #8

Broken cords allowing that part of the tire to stretch and wear is my guess and lucky that it has not blown.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:

That flat spot likely happened when you had to stop quickly once. It was then run on for a while. If there were a brake problem then there would be more than one spot flat. That does not show up in the picture.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:47 AM   #10

Quote:

I have now inspected the brake Assembly. I did not find anything that appeared wrong. The tire also appeared in good shape except for having the flat spot. I guess I’ll chalk this up to episode where the break must’ve locked up at some point well breaking hard. I do have my gain set at 7.5 which I have now back off a little but never had a problem in the past. What does everybody set there’s at?
Living It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:54 AM   #11

Quote:
I have now inspected the brake Assembly. I did not find anything that appeared wrong. The tire also appeared in good shape except for having the flat spot. I guess I’ll chalk this up to episode where the break must’ve locked up at some point well breaking hard. I do have my gain set at 7.5 which I have now back off a little but never had a problem in the past. What does everybody set there’s at?
I would never go by anyone else's numbers to set my gain. Too many variables such as make of controller, weight of what you are towing etc.
I set my gain so when I brake it feels very much like the brakes do when I'm not towing a trailer. I DO NOT use my trailer brakes to slow my tow vehicle down.
I have three different trailers I use (none of them travel trailers) flatbed car trailer, flatbed utility trailer and a 30' enclosed snowmobile trailer. Each one can be loaded differently when I'm using it, hence the controller is set differently every time I connect to a trailer. An empty trailer uses less gain than a loaded trailer. I'm constantly making changes in the settings.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:02 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would have to agree with Nevadanick. It could be broken cords in the tire, causing that part of the tire to expand and caused the thread wear like you are seeing.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:02 AM   #13

Most people set the gain on the brake control way to high. Resulting in brakes locking up and flat spots on tires
kyfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM   #14

Itís the gain set too high. Been thereÖ..
racertoms27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire