Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2022, 06:44 PM   #29

I used to tow a 15,500# 5er with an 02 Duramax dually. I ran 80 psi in front tires and 65 psi each in rear dual tires. This was the best tire pressure setup I found, all 6 tires wore evenly across tread surface and rig handling was steady and sure.
That must have been a good decision because i got over 60,000 miles each from 2 sets of B.F. Goodrich 16" tires on that truck towing a 5er all over the U.S.A., including a trip to Alaska.
FWIW, I never did have even one tire problem on that truck.

You can get a visual of tire wear by making a wide mark/band across the tread of each tire with chalk, and observing where the chalk wears off.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2022, 06:50 PM   #30

I have scaled my 2021 Ram diesel dually both unloaded and with the fiver on. Using the load inflation tables, I run 65 front and 35 rear unloaded. I get a decent ride. Loaded with my heavy fifth wheel, I run 70 up front and 65 rear which are the numbers on the door frame.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:07 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
I do not rotate the tires on my dually. The cost of multiple rotations is greater than the cost of a set of tires. The fronts on my 3500HD require replacement every 50K miles. Rears about 70K miles.
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:16 PM   #32

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
SOwhy dont you call Michelin and find out, dont rely on all the tire expert wannabes.
I received an email from Michelin that said that they cannot provide Load and Pressure recommendations for towing purposes - go by the pressure on the side of the tire.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sooner View Post
I received an email from Michelin that said that they cannot provide Load and Pressure recommendations for towing purposes - go by the pressure on the side of the tire.

Can you say LAWYER SPEAK!

Towing/not towing, the load on the tires/axles IS what determines the correct minimum PSI. Any other answer ignores physics.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:31 PM   #34

Grand Design Owners Club
CAT Scale Weights

I just stopped by a CAT scale with full fuel in the truck and got the following weights:
Steer Axle - 5120 lbs
Drive Axle - 3900 lbs
So, using these axle weights along with the Load and Pressure recommendations, I should run 65 PSI in the front tires and only 35 PSI in each of the four rear tires? If I had only two rear tires I would run them at 45 PSI?

I know that when I pull a trailer, the rear tires will have to be adjusted to account for those numbers which I will have in a few days. I just want to make sure that I'm figuring this out correctly.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:43 AM   #35

Answer to post #34

If you also give tire specifications, I can calculate a highest pressure , at wich comfort and gripp is still acceptable.
This then gives maximum reserve.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:59 AM   #36

Quote:
I just stopped by a CAT scale with full fuel in the truck and got the following weights:
Steer Axle - 5120 lbs
Drive Axle - 3900 lbs
So, using these axle weights along with the Load and Pressure recommendations, I should run 65 PSI in the front tires and only 35 PSI in each of the four rear tires? If I had only two rear tires I would run them at 45 PSI?

I know that when I pull a trailer, the rear tires will have to be adjusted to account for those numbers which I will have in a few days. I just want to make sure that I'm figuring this out correctly.
Correct. Those are my calculations as well. Makes for good ride unloaded and even wear across the duals. I did the chalk test to confirm it.
balvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:14 AM   #37

Tire pressures

I had a similar problem with my rig a diesel pusher. I got new tires (Michelin’s) and wanted to start off on the right foot. So after installing the tires I had it weighed just as it was going down the road.. I came up with a 10k and 20k weights for front and back loads on the axel’s.

The pressure/weight charts from Michelin says a pressure of 95-100 psi for each tire. But the sticker inside the coach says 100psi rear and 115psi in the front. Very confusing! So I started with 100psi all around. The rig rides but responsiveness was kinda sluggish. Every year I increased the front pressure by 5 until I got to 115. I would say that the handling is sportcar like but it got better.

Morel of this story get weighed and pick a starting point and try it. If you don’t like it change it till you get something you do like! Plan, do, check, action.

RV safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Steer Axle - 5120 lbs
Drive Axle - 3900 lbs

So there are a couple goals, good ride with a impact absorbing tire, good contact patch and most importantly avoiding excess flex/heat that makes all those road gators you see out there from heat failure.

An inexpensive non-contact IR thermometer is a great tool while towing, you can compare tire temperatures and they'll even show left/right bias if you have more load on one side. Go by the tables and run it down the road, then measure. Unscientifically I figured 20-25 degrees over ambient was a good range for me and when badly overloaded it would need a pressure above sidewall ratings. All of the published tire pressures assume worst case of max loading and max sustained speed (rated) Speed rating on light truck tires is typically either 112 or 118 mph, lower speed means lower heat.
fast_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:30 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter363y View Post
I had a similar problem with my rig a diesel pusher. I got new tires (Michelin’s) and wanted to start off on the right foot. So after installing the tires I had it weighed just as it was going down the road.. I came up with a 10k and 20k weights for front and back loads on the axel’s.

The pressure/weight charts from Michelin says a pressure of 95-100 psi for each tire. But the sticker inside the coach says 100psi rear and 115psi in the front. Very confusing! So I started with 100psi all around. The rig rides but responsiveness was kinda sluggish. Every year I increased the front pressure by 5 until I got to 115. I would say that the handling is sportcar like but it got better.

Morel of this story get weighed and pick a starting point and try it. If you don’t like it change it till you get something you do like! Plan, do, check, action.

RV safe
Scooter
I did the same. used the load psi chart added 10 psi, added more psi several times and handling improved. But the ride began to become more harsh. I backed off the PSI to where im at the chart plus 15 psi. Slight loss in the handling but much better ride.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:36 AM   #40

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
Answer to post #34

If you also give tire specifications, I can calculate a highest pressure , at wich comfort and gripp is still acceptable.
This then gives maximum reserve.
Michelin Primacy XC tires - all six are LT235/80R17 120/117R TPC BSW
Old 05-30-2022, 11:03 AM   #41

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
This is a very informative website - thanks for sharing!
Old 05-30-2022, 11:48 AM   #42

Quote:
So, they told you they can’t provide a pressure recommendation, and then they provided one. Sort of.

That’s comforting.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure