Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #1

Tire pressure when hot kind of high

Have the Michelin LTX AT2ís on my truck (in sig), and according to the manufacturer tire loading data I set them to 75 psi cold to handle the rear axle weight per cat scale. After it warms up a bit (currently towing through TX & NM) the pressure will rise to 90 psi, which seems really high. Anything to be concerned about? Would it be ok to bleed off some pressure while hot, maybe down 5-10 lbs? Or leave them be? Hoping to keep the tires from overheating or over pressure. Canít find anything on how much pressure is too much.
El_Supremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

Did this concern you before you heard of a TPMS? I doubt anyone ever gave tire temperature rise a thought. Do not concern yourself with tire temperature; I watch the differential between tires, which offers a clue to several possible problems at that tire position.

TST is arguably the largest retailer of such systems, their lowest setting in their settings-mode is 158įF.
Perhaps the single-most concentrated source of tire information is found at Tireman9's website https://www.rvtiresafety.net/ The website owner is a retired tire safety engineer and a commercial member of irv2.com.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did this concern you before you heard of a TPMS? I doubt anyone ever gave tire temperature rise a thought. Do not concern yourself with tire temperature; I watch the differential between tires, which offers a clue to several possible problems at that tire position.

TST is arguably the largest retailer of such systems, their lowest setting in their settings-mode is 158įF.
Perhaps the single-most concentrated source of tire information is found at Tireman9's website https://www.rvtiresafety.net/ The website owner is a retired tire safety engineer and a commercial member of irv2.com.
Thanks Ray. Iíll check out that site. I suppose I always assumed max pressure was a magic number when the tire would fail.
El_Supremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:23 PM   #4

The tire manufacturer uses the cold tire pressure fully aware the temp will rise, sometimes significantly, when in use in the heat. As long as you’re sure of your weights, and have the proper cold pressures you should be fine. DO NOT bleed air from hot tires unless you are thru for the day and have ready access to an air pump to re-inflate them to proper cold temps in the morning. Please note the tire pressure on the sidewall is a cold tire setting and not the maximum pressure the tire can have.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Supremo View Post
Have the Michelin LTX AT2ís on my truck (in sig), and according to the manufacturer tire loading data I set them to 75 psi cold to handle the rear axle weight per cat scale. After it warms up a bit (currently towing through TX & NM) the pressure will rise to 90 psi, which seems really high. Anything to be concerned about? Would it be ok to bleed off some pressure while hot, maybe down 5-10 lbs? Or leave them be? Hoping to keep the tires from overheating or over pressure. Canít find anything on how much pressure is too much.
The only time I bleed pressure off is when traveling north to south. I leave Minnesota mid October and set the tire pressure. Remember, it might be 25-30 degrees when I leave. Usually, but not always, when I get into New Mexico the cold pressure has climbed a little. By the time I cross the Mexican border, I have bled them down a couple times, as they get above 125 in the heat. The reverse usually happens on the way home.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:24 PM   #6

Some numbers for comparison. My numbers are very close to your experience.

The rear tires on my truck are 80psi cold. A couple of weeks ago while towing around Ohio and Pennsylvania, the TPMS was reporting pressures in the mid 90's.
My trailer tires were going from about 90psi cold to the 103-106 psi range on the highway.
These pressure numbers were pretty consistent through 5 days of towing in a 2 week period.

Ambient temperatures were 84-90F.

I'm going to trust the tire guys (the tire manufacturers, Ford, Winnebago) and not worry about these numbers. See Wildtoad's comments in an earlier post. If I see readings that deviate from these baseline numbers, then I'll try to figure it out.
Tim_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #7

What everyone above said, set the pressure cold and forget about them unless they get low. There will even likely be a differential between the two sides if you are sun on one side. Don't overthink this, it's not that complicated.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 01:33 AM   #8

Every time air is added to tires, it also adds moisture/humidity (if your air supply does not have an air dryer), which in turn adds to temperature rise differentials.
This is the main reason some use Nitrogen instead of regular air.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:36 AM   #9

Thanks all for the great info! Sounds like Iím within normal ranges.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would not be concern unless one tire is much higher then the rest. I always expect tire psi to rise by at least 10 psi. On hot day more increase.

You are driving on dark roads in TX and NM. What do you think the road temps is??

I aired up my tires in late May. By mid June outside temps were up by about 15 degrees. All my tires increased by about 5-6 psi.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
The only time I bleed pressure off is when traveling north to south. I leave Minnesota mid October and set the tire pressure. Remember, it might be 25-30 degrees when I leave. Usually, but not always, when I get into New Mexico the cold pressure has climbed a little. By the time I cross the Mexican border, I have bled them down a couple times, as they get above 125 in the heat. The reverse usually happens on the way home.
Yes and no. If you inflate your tires to the recommended psi in Santa Fe you will be underinflated when you get to Phoenix - assuming cold temp reading and same temp in both places.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I experience about a 10-15% rise in PSI when tires are hot in my Yukon, Jeep, and Motorhome, that is pretty consistent. The key is that they are all fairly equal.

Of course the TPMS is a handy tool for quickly identifying under-inflation but you can also use it as a comparator.

If a single tire has increased substantially more than the others, this may be an indicator of another issue; may be a bearing starting to fail or a dragging brake pad/shoe?
Old 06-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Supremo View Post

Do not be concerned with the heat rise . That is normal . They are engineered with that in mind . Never bleed the tire off because it warms up .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Years ago, I saw a chart that had adjustment for cold inflation presure to ambient temperature. Maybe you could look at that and see how far off you are.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure