Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 08:39 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tire Pressures

Screening various forums I have seen several discussions regarding tire pressures and monitoring, etc. As a new trailer owner, I believe I have found a path that will give us reasonable comfort of mind, at least for the time my wife and I are on our first long trip coming up soon (6,000+ miles). Our choice may change in the future, but so that goes...Rather than a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) which is expensive and does nothing to air up the tires, I decided a daily (when we travel) inspection and pressure check just makes more sense, but how to check and if necessary air up the tires in a quick and low hassle manner? I looked at small compressors but most of them need cords and either 12V or 110V power, which again is a hassle and most 110V compressors are a bit heavy and take up valuable TV/trailer real estate. Recently I believe I have found a good solution I decided to share: I needed a more powerful battery drill to lower and raise the stabilizer jacks so I dropped by my local HF. Their Bauer brand of battery tools also include a compressor with an accurate easy reading gauge, with an adjustable stop that will pump to 160 pounds. I am not a huge fan of HF, but this thing is light weight and so far works really well for my needs. For $25 more than the drill, I am happy for the time being!...
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #2

I did something similar with the purchase of a DeWalt inflator that ran on the batteries my DeWalt tools ran on. I'm sure HF was cheaper for you ($99 plus tax for me) but it does all you mentioned. I, too, passed on the pressure sensors and haven't looked back. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200813-224610_Google.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	297056
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:15 AM   #3

The right TPMS does offers some features I really like for real time driving.

1) Low tire pressure alarm. You get a warning before the tire is flat (think slow leak from nail picked up or driving)
2) Sudden pressure change alert. You got a fast leak, get a warning before the low pressure threshold is reached.
3) Over-temp alarm. Tire is to hot and is likely to blow out
4) Over pressure alarm. Usually caused by hot tire, another indication a blow out may be about to happen.

3 and 4 alone can prevent costly damage to the trailer. IMHO, preventing one blow out likely will save more money than the TPMS costs.

I really like having the TPMS on the trailer so I know what is happening real time. I think they are a valuable safety item.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

Ryobi makes a great battery powered air compressor, 18 volt, 1 gallon air tank and will pump up to 120 PSI.
Since I have had Ryobi tools for years and a goodly supply of their batteries, it was a no brainer for me and I've been completely satisfied with it.
I haven't verified it, but they claim it will air up 5 automobile tires on one battery.
Just a bit pricey, but factory blemished versions can be purchases for about $80
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just use a cheap digital pump connected to a Goal Zero battery pack. I had sensors installed when I bought my TT, but they turned out to be the source of air loss.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

The TPMS are not cheap but when you are traveling at highway speed they are the only way of knowing you have a tire that has rapid air lose or is over heating.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfin View Post
Rather than a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) which is expensive and does nothing to air up the tires, I decided a daily (when we travel) inspection and pressure check just makes more sense, but how to check and if necessary air up the tires in a quick and low hassle manner?
Unfortunately your proposed method does nothing to alert you to sudden loss of pressure, not to mention other conditions. For that you need a TPMS. Your battery powered air pump ain't gonna do you any good when one of your trailer tires hits a hazard that penetrates the tread and causes the tire to lose pressure. Been there, done that.

I figure my TPMS may have saved our lives. Trailer tire picked a piece of metal just as we were turning onto the ON ramp of I-95. Tire lost pressure in less than 100 yards. Without the alert from the TPMS I would have happily pulled out onto I-95 with a flat tire. How long do you think we would have gotten at highway speeds on just one tire on that side? And what would have been the result?

Hint: I used my battery powered air pump to air up all 4 tires before departing home that day. Didn't do a thing to protect me once I hit the road.

Spend the money.

Happy travels!

Roger
Old 08-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Unfortunately your proposed method does nothing to alert you to sudden loss of pressure, not to mention other conditions. For that you need a TPMS. Your battery powered air pump ain't gonna do you any good when one of your trailer tires hits a hazard that penetrates the tread and causes the tire to lose pressure. Been there, done that.

I figure my TPMS may have saved our lives. Trailer tire picked a piece of metal just as we were turning onto the ON ramp of I-95. Tire lost pressure in less than 100 yards. Without the alert from the TPMS I would have happily pulled out onto I-95 with a flat tire. How long do you think we would have gotten at highway speeds on just one tire on that side? And what would have been the result?

Hint: I used my battery powered air pump to air up all 4 tires before departing home that day. Didn't do a thing to protect me once I hit the road.

Spend the money.

Happy travels!

Roger
Hey Roger, sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your post, been in the hills of NE Oregon out of communication range...But, after some pondering I did buy a Tire Minder 4 tire monitor for $150. I had seen units up to $500 and that made my eyes glaze over, the TM unit seems a good compromise. Thanks for taking the time to share your story, we are about to start on a 6,000+ mile trip and maybe this will provide some piece of mind! Jerry
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfin View Post
Hey Roger, sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your post, been in the hills of NE Oregon out of communication range...But, after some pondering I did buy a Tire Minder 4 tire monitor for $150. I had seen units up to $500 and that made my eyes glaze over, the TM unit seems a good compromise. Thanks for taking the time to share your story, we are about to start on a 6,000+ mile trip and maybe this will provide some piece of mind! Jerry
Way to go! Even if you never need it (and I hope you don't), it's powerful safety insurance.

Enjoy camping!

Roger

Tags
tire pressure