Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2023, 07:37 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 2
To buy or not to buy

New member here with an unusual/long question. I have a 2006 Silverado 2500hd crew cab with an LBZ duramax. Truck has 287000 miles on it and previous owner put a new engine in about 75000 miles ago. I pull a 33 fifth wheel weighing about 13,000# loaded. Truck pulls great and have no problems so far.
My neighbor is selling a 2018 Silverado 3500hd, single rear axle, duramax with 67,000 miles on it. Heís offering it to me for trade in value, $44,000. Truck is in mint condition. Iím newly retired and weíd like to extend our travels to other parts of the country, currently live in Michigan.
Now for my question which may sound stupid, should I buy or wait till my current truck needs to be replaced? Iím hesitant because Iím now fixed income, would have to borrow quite a bit and Iím debt free now. I could afford it but donít like to borrow money. Iím also not to wild about having a truck that needs def fluid. Iíve heard about costly repairs because of that. I like my current truck but the new one is being offered considerably cheaper than retail and would probably be the last truck Iíd need, baring any major problems.
Sorry for the long post but thought Iíd tap into your experience with def trucks and any thoughts to help with my decision. Thanks for any input.
Medic7156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
MtCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montana, Arizona
Posts: 1,247
If you plan on towing a lot of miles, I'd think hard about the 2018. On the other hand if you plan on @10,000 or so miles/year, I'd run that baby til it dies. Lots to be said about no debt and no DEF.
__________________
2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2022 Chevy 3500 Duramax
2018 JLUR
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #3
Community Moderator


 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Full timing
Posts: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic7156 View Post
Now for my question which may sound stupid, should I buy or wait till my current truck needs to be replaced? Iím hesitant because Iím now fixed income, would have to borrow quite a bit and Iím debt free now. I could afford it but donít like to borrow money. Iím also not to wild about having a truck that needs def fluid. Iíve heard about costly repairs because of that. I like my current truck but the new one is being offered considerably cheaper than retail and would probably be the last truck Iíd need, baring any major problems.
Sorry for the long post but thought Iíd tap into your experience with def trucks and any thoughts to help with my decision. Thanks for any input.
If you wait until the truck needs replaced it could be sitting beside a road somewhere. Then you would be at the mercy of somebody, between a rock and a hard place. If possible do it on your time frame, when you are not pressed to find another truck because you are broken down.

What kind of costly repairs are you talking about concerning the DEF?
__________________
2018 Road Warrior 427
2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
laj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,376
If youíve got def, you got problems. If not today, then tomorrow. Limp mode is always a fun bi-product on a nice vacation. Talk about leaving your 6 alongside the road.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
CecilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 926
Welcome to the forum. Like you, I tow with an older truck, albeit with less miles than yours. I would keep the truck assuming it is in good condition cosmetically like no rust. Where I live, just the sales tax alone on an upgrade like that would offset a lot of repairs, and my belief is there will always be another deal. After spending time on these forums, diesel repairs generally tend to be focused on exhaust after-treatment systems. For me, the lack of DPF, DEF, SCR, and payments are pretty good incentives to keep the old truck.
__________________
2004.5 Ram 3500 2WD DRW
2008 Carriage, tows at 10k#
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Coarsegold CA
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic7156 View Post
New member here with an unusual/long question. I have a 2006 Silverado 2500hd crew cab with an LBZ duramax. Truck has 287000 miles on it and previous owner put a new engine in about 75000 miles ago. I pull a 33 fifth wheel weighing about 13,000# loaded. Truck pulls great and have no problems so far.
My neighbor is selling a 2018 Silverado 3500hd, single rear axle, duramax with 67,000 miles on it. Heís offering it to me for trade in value, $44,000. Truck is in mint condition. Iím newly retired and weíd like to extend our travels to other parts of the country, currently live in Michigan.
Now for my question which may sound stupid, should I buy or wait till my current truck needs to be replaced? Iím hesitant because Iím now fixed income, would have to borrow quite a bit and Iím debt free now. I could afford it but donít like to borrow money. Iím also not to wild about having a truck that needs def fluid. Iíve heard about costly repairs because of that. I like my current truck but the new one is being offered considerably cheaper than retail and would probably be the last truck Iíd need, baring any major problems.
Sorry for the long post but thought Iíd tap into your experience with def trucks and any thoughts to help with my decision. Thanks for any input.
I recently did the same calculation.
I had a 99 Dodge 2500 that still looked great but had over 300,000 miles on it. The choice was new engine and trans, or newer truck.
I tend to keep trucks till the wheels fall off. I keep them in good repair, but I'm not into change.
One problem with the 99 is new parts are getting hard to find. It took a month to get a new engine elect harness.
I opted for a 2019 Ram. I'm glad I did, It has a lot of new things that make towing so much easier. Ram's 8 speed trans, and integrated trailer brake are just two.
If this truck lasts like the 99 it will be my last truck. If Ram continues to make replacement parts for the next 2o years I will be happy with the new one. DR
__________________
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Grey Wolf 29QB
Coarsegold CA.
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:20 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 12,234
A lot of improvements were made since 2007. New more solid frame, more power, more safety equipment, and a lot more things that are nice to have. But that emission system is not for the faint of heart.

The gasoline engines have been improved to be what the old diesels produced in power. For 13,000lbs. maybe gasoline power is what you need.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Flyer15015's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: On the continental divide
Posts: 1,821
O.P.
75K on an '06 LBZ is nothing.
It's pre DEF and it should go another 100K with ease. One of the best Chevy ever made IMHO.
Had one in our '07 Jayco Seneca, and we pulled a 24' enclosed car hauler all over Colorado for 5 years. Nary a problem.

Mike in Colorado
__________________
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly.
Flyer15015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:09 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 312
If you are comfortable towing with the old one, then throw some $$ into preventive maintenance and keep it. There's a lot to be said for an older vehicle that you trust and has your arse profile molded into the driver's seat.
__________________
JLeonard
New Port Richey, Fl
2022 G D Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 Big Horn CC diesel
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 223
we had an 05 dmax at work with 425k hard oilfield miles on it and it still ran good. i think this is a no lose situation.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 12,495
Better a devil you know than a devil you don't know.

Keep what you have.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Criticism is easier than Craftsmanship
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 12,234
New trucks have so many bells and whistles that I do not know all the things about my 2017 truck. Somebody as riding with me and asked to open the sun roof. I looked at all the buttons and said I do not know how.

I do know what button to hit to answer the phone or even respond to a text message. I can play Iradio via my phone over the truck speakers so I am not too bad.

There are things I do not use too.

For people driving the old trucks it must be easy looking at the steering wheel w/o all the buttons.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:16 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 2,261
At that price i would buy it and resell it.
__________________
2023 26kvst
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:16 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
At that price i would buy it and resell it.
i had a cousin thats done that, gotten family members to nearly give her vehicles then sold them. its caused some serious hard feelings.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy Now! Buy Buy Buy!!!! damdannyboy Newmar Owner's Forum 2 07-30-2015 04:08 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.