Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 06:08 AM   #1

To WD or not to WD? Thatís my question

My Jayco 212 QBR maxes out at 5500 lbs and max tongue wt is 550-600lbs. I was towing it with my Durango RT and a WD hitch. It made all the numbers and to be truthful I was not white knuckle towing on any of my trips so far. But being on the margins always bugs me so I got a RAM 2500 diesel. I think Iíve more than got this trailer covered.

My question is, should I even bother with a WD hitch for this case? I hooked it up with a conventional ball yesterday and there was no noticeable squat to the rear. It pulls like there is nothing back there and the truck comes with active sway control.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2021, 07:03 AM   #2

I don't have any experience with trucks with active sway control, but have you checked hitching up the trailer with what you may typically carry in the bed of the truck? I'm assuming that without the need for a WD hitch, you will just hook up the trailer to a ball on the back of the truck. So, load up for a short trip and see how it behaves on the road. Another option would to head to the scales and see what your hitch weight is.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:15 AM   #3

I have a hitch scale, so I know the actual weight when I load up. Max tongue wt for the truck is like 1500 pounds or so.

I went for a short ride with a standard ball and it was fine. Hooking up a WD is one of my least favorite things about towing, so Iím inclined to not bother unless thereís something Iím missing. Iíd just have to reconfigure my current WD if I needed to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I don't have any experience with trucks with active sway control, but have you checked hitching up the trailer with what you may typically carry in the bed of the truck? I'm assuming that without the need for a WD hitch, you will just hook up the trailer to a ball on the back of the truck. So, load up for a short trip and see how it behaves on the road. Another option would to head to the scales and see what your hitch weight is.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #4

I would say 'no' the the hassle of connecting the WD hitch. Sounds like you don't need it.

You might experience some extra bounce and if that does not bother you too much then you are good to go.

In my exoeriece - I would say my F-150 towed my 5,500lb trailer with a Drawtire WD Hitch better than my dually truck towed my 6,500 lb trailer w/o a WD hitch. I did not have any noticeable sway but did have more bounce.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:36 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had a similar truck and trailer and can assure you that while it technically didn't NEED a WD hitch it definitely rode far better with one. It was pretty bouncy without it and it still raised the nose enough that the headlight aim was off at night. Much better with the WD hitch even though the tongue weight was within limits.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
My Jayco 212 QBR maxes out at 5500 lbs and max tongue wt is 550-600lbs. I was towing it with my Durango RT and a WD hitch. It made all the numbers and to be truthful I was not white knuckle towing on any of my trips so far. But being on the margins always bugs me so I got a RAM 2500 diesel. I think Iíve more than got this trailer covered.

My question is, should I even bother with a WD hitch for this case? I hooked it up with a conventional ball yesterday and there was no noticeable squat to the rear. It pulls like there is nothing back there and the truck comes with active sway control.
No. You do not need a WD hitch. Aside from the aggravation of setting the hitch up and hitching-unhitching, WD hitches cause the tow vehicle to oversteer which could result in a jackknifing accident. The only reason to use a WD hitch is to keep your rear axle from overloading when using an undersized tow vehicle. You have more than enough truck there so you don't want to use a WD hitch.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
No. You do not need a WD hitch. Aside from the aggravation of setting the hitch up and hitching-unhitching, WD hitches cause the tow vehicle to oversteer which could result in a jackknifing accident. The only reason to use a WD hitch is to keep your rear axle from overloading when using an undersized tow vehicle. You have more than enough truck there so you don't want to use a WD hitch.
If setup correctly it doesn't cause oversteer as it to returns the original load to the front axle. If your setup puts additional load on the front axle then there is a possibility of oversteer but you need a lot of weight to make that happen. Otherwise you are going to say that a 5th wheel that puts weight on the front axle by default causes oversteer too and I've never heard anyone claim that.

OP if your axle weights are fine and you truck is riding level or rear high and your payload is okay and the tongue weight is within spec for your reciever and gear without WD, you don't need it. But I do recommend it simply for the better ride, especially if your sway control is integrated into the bars versus a separate sway control. Picking up and dropping of my trailer at storage or taking it to the shop I won't use the bars but always the sway control. Any longer trip gets the bars to limit bounce and porpoise effect
Old 06-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelSolo View Post
If setup correctly it doesn't cause oversteer as it to returns the original load to the front axle. If your setup puts additional load on the front axle then there is a possibility of oversteer but you need a lot of weight to make that happen. Otherwise you are going to say that a 5th wheel that puts weight on the front axle by default causes oversteer too and I've never heard anyone claim that.
The comparison to a fifth wheel is not valid. What causes a vehicle towing a conventional trailer to oversteer is the fact that the rig has a rear overhang from the rear axle (a fifth wheel does not have this). When you go around a sharp turn the load of the trailer uses that overhang as a lever, pushing the back of the tow vehicle towards the outside of the turn. The rear tires have to keep the load in check, but when you take load off the tires the tire cornering stiffness decreases and they are less able to do it. This shows up as oversteer. The more load you take off the rear tires the worse it gets. You certainly do not want to return the original load to the front axle. If you look in your owners manual you will find that the manufacturer tells you to not put the original load back to the front when using a WD hitch, but to only put 25% or 50% max back to the front axle. This is because too much front axle load restoration makes the oversteer unacceptable. The best thing to do is to get a large enough tow vehicle so the rear axle can handle the load without a WD hitch, exactly as the OP did.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

My setup is close to yours. With an F250 diesel and a 25' airstream I am pulling on the ball, no WD or sway control, and so far, only 2500 mi towing, I have no issues. My tongue weight is about 900 lbs and only about 200 lbs in the bed. I don't see any real difference in the way the truck handles whether towing or not. I was going to decide which WDH to get but after seeing how the truck tows I don't feel like I need one. The one thing I did get is a GEN-Y TORSION HITCH and it does isolate bounce or porpoise effect between truck and trailer that you get on bad road surface.
capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
The comparison to a fifth wheel is not valid. What causes a vehicle towing a conventional trailer to oversteer is the fact that the rig has a rear overhang from the rear axle (a fifth wheel does not have this). When you go around a sharp turn the load of the trailer uses that overhang as a lever, pushing the back of the tow vehicle towards the outside of the turn. The rear tires have to keep the load in check, but when you take load off the tires the tire cornering stiffness decreases and they are less able to do it. This shows up as oversteer. The more load you take off the rear tires the worse it gets. You certainly do not want to return the original load to the front axle. If you look in your owners manual you will find that the manufacturer tells you to not put the original load back to the front when using a WD hitch, but to only put 25% or 50% max back to the front axle. This is because too much front axle load restoration makes the oversteer unacceptable. The best thing to do is to get a large enough tow vehicle so the rear axle can handle the load without a WD hitch, exactly as the OP did.
How do you know if you have a truck big enough?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
How do you know if you have a truck big enough?
Take the loaded rig to a scale. The rear axle load must be less than the RGAWR on the door sticker. Then take it for a ride slowly getting it up to the maximum speed that you want to tow at. The maximum trailering speed in the US is 80 mph. If the trailer doesn't sway then you're good to go.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #12

Interesting. On my very short ride I did notice some bounce. Next week is about a 2 hour ride between Orlando and Palatka. I should get a better feel from that.

I still have my WD so I can set it up if I want. Iíll drive without it for a while. I have my tongue scale and Better Weigh, so Iíll have a good idea what my weight setup is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would say 'no' the the hassle of connecting the WD hitch. Sounds like you don't need it.

You might experience some extra bounce and if that does not bother you too much then you are good to go.

In my exoeriece - I would say my F-150 towed my 5,500lb trailer with a Drawtire WD Hitch better than my dually truck towed my 6,500 lb trailer w/o a WD hitch. I did not have any noticeable sway but did have more bounce.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #13

I second that it is going to porpoise more and could sway more. I figure it only takes me 3-4 minutes more to put my sway bars on, if I'm slow. You buy insurance, right? Well, you have a WDH that's paid for so why not use it?
Old 06-21-2021, 12:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post

Yes absolutely get the WD hitch. Itís worth the small upfront cost.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote