Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #15

I have had a soft roll up on my last two trucks.

- It is cheapest.
- It allows access to pretty much the entire bed when rolled up, yet you can still see out the back window of truck.

Seemed to be the most flexible, even if it was the least secure. Can't put loads on top of it. I have seen several styles that are designed to support significant loads, not a need I have.

My unit only has to be locked from one side, as opposed to one that has a latch on each side. (There is a security slide on the other side, but I rarely use it.) It can be a real pain to have to walk around the truck to unlock both sides of the cover in order to access the bed when you have a trailer attached. My unit also has two straps to secure it when it is rolled up. Some I looked at only had one strap. Not sure this is a big deal, as I have even driven short distances with the cover rolled up but neither strap latched, it didn't have a tendency at low speeds to unroll on me.

I have to open the tailgate to release the latch. With a trailer (or a bike rack in the 2" receiver), the tailgate cannot be dropped all of the way. I simply open it slightly, release the latch, and reclose the tailgate. I think this is going to be common on any style of bed cover.

I also wanted a bed cover that was pretty easy to remove if I needed to. However, what I have learned is that it rolls up so small, I have never removed it.

I often need to hall tall loads, etc. My truck needs max flexibility, and the soft roll up gives me that. Depending on your needs and what you are securing, it may or may not meet your needs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate your input.

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1959 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate your input.

Regards,

John
Your welcome . Now we all want to know what did you buy?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #18

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
Your welcome . Now we all want to know what did you buy?
I haven't bought anything yet. I need a few more paychecks under my belt before I pull the trigger on this. I will post when I get it figured out...

Regards,

J
Old 05-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #19

Look into the Line-X Brand. If you are considering Bakflip at all they are the same but Line-X carries a lifetime warranty
DINKELROK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #20
OTH

Retrax Pro XR is my choice. I love mine. Especially if you have a TT and can take advantage of the T-slots for a rack. Yeah, it's a little pricey, but I have learned that buying something just to save a few bucks does nothing but make me mad in the end. I'd rather work some extra overtime or something and get what I truly want. No tonneau cover is totally waterproof, but the Retrax is pretty close. I had an Extang tri-fold before. It was good quality and worked ok, but it was also a pain in the butt for me too.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:12 PM   #21

I installed a TonneauPro soft folding cover on my short bed F350. Quite reasonable price and does not flutter. When folded it allows using the Pullrite Superglide 5th wheel hitch.

Since I wanted to use a tool box in front of the hitch I found one that fits under this cover. The one modification I did was replacing the tonneau cover's front rail clamps with hinges that attach to the truck bed front. Now I can flip up the folded cover and get to the tool box. Actually, the tool box lid's gas springs can even hold the cover up when opened. I can take some pics if needed.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #22

Extang Encore Tri-fold on my pickup for the past 4 years. Super stout - I walk on it all the time. That stoutness makes it fairly heavy for when I have to remove it (hauling my ATV in the back). No complaints other than the weight so far.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Another recommendation for th4 Retrax Pro. Definitely not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Everything posted above about it is correct so I won’t type it out again. Go with Retrax Pro.
2016 Chev Silverado 3500HD DRW
dck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:45 AM   #24

I have same truck. Xtang 2.0 is what I have and it checks your boxes. Very easy to fold and remove.
Elev8torguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #25

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
I installed a TonneauPro soft folding cover on my short bed F350. Quite reasonable price and does not flutter. When folded it allows using the Pullrite Superglide 5th wheel hitch.

Since I wanted to use a tool box in front of the hitch I found one that fits under this cover. The one modification I did was replacing the tonneau cover's front rail clamps with hinges that attach to the truck bed front. Now I can flip up the folded cover and get to the tool box. Actually, the tool box lid's gas springs can even hold the cover up when opened. I can take some pics if needed.
Thanks Jerry Burks,

That sounds interesting. What toolbox did you get to pair with the TonneauPro? Can you please elaborate on the hinge modification you devised? Please advise...

Regards,

John
Old 05-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1959 View Post
Thanks Jerry Burks,

That sounds interesting. What toolbox did you get to pair with the TonneauPro? Can you please elaborate on the hinge modification you devised? Please advise...

Regards,

John
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BXNMK5. It is a pretty sturdy box. Not exactly cheap but there are much more expensive boxes. I found the real cheap ones are just flimsy. I believe the silver color is less expensive than black finish.
The cover is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Z9UV8Y

Although Amazon claims it would not fit the F350, it does fit perfectly. Maybe 1/4" space left to the sides and very little above. I did remove the 2 small stamped luggage strap rings in the front wall of the truck bed to snug the box up to the front but they are useless anyway with the tool box in place.

I will take a few pictures of the hinges tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:27 AM   #27

Here are the pictures...

1. Truck bed tonneau unfolded. The notch in the 5th wheel gate allows reaching the rear rail clamps so I don't need to open the gate to fold the tonneau. If a stock tailgate is used it must be opened to get to the clamps.

2. Tonneau folded up and ready to hitch. I attached a rope on each side (through the side hold-down rings) with bunjees to hold the folded cover down. Not sure if that is really necessary but I only have to detach the bunjees when getting to the tool box. Since I can not see the hitch in the rear view mirror I have a camera at the bed side to assess when the pin comes close and the hitch locks.

3. Cover flipped up. The hinges are visible at the front edge and the front rail clamps of the cover are removed. The tool box fits exacly the width of the truck bed.

4. Tool box open. The gas springs can hold the box lid open as well as the folded cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3034.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	330259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3035.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	330260  

Name:	IMG_3036.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	330261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3037.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	330262  

Old 05-31-2021, 10:33 AM   #28

One more picture: Hinge close-up. They are attached to the bed rail top with rivnuts and machine screws. If I had to do it again I would see to attach it to the bed rail inside with an angle profile (much easier to get to with a screwdriver).

There are spacer plates to get the proper height and hinge position. These are pieces of piano hinge but that is just what I had available. It was tricky to get the hinges positioned and fasteners attached. A second set of hands is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3038.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	330266  

Tags
advice, cover