Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Tonneau Cover Advice Requested

Hello All,

I just bought an new F350 SRW and want to install a bed cover on it. I am going crazy looking at all the different options for bed covers and I am hoping some of you experienced RVers can steer me in the right direction.

The truck is the shorter bed and has the factory spray in liner. I will be using it to tow a TT. It currently does not have a toolbox (but I might decide to get one at some point). I live in the gulf south and it rains here a lot.

I am looking for a product that will provide security and weather protection but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I like the idea of a retractable cover and I have seen several that integrate rails that can be used to install racks above the bed - which I think are awesome but they are also pretty pricey. Any advice you can give me on bed covers that you have used and some pros/cons will be greatly appreciated...

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1959 View Post
I am looking for a product that will provide security and weather protection but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.
These two criteria work opposite one another. Cheaper = less secure and less weatherproof

I've been super happy with my Truxedo roll-up but, of course, someone could cut through it with a razor knife in a second and it does let some water in. Keep in mind if it's 100% water-tight anything you put in wet won't dry well. I actually appreciate a bit of air moving through mine. I just keep things I don't want to get wet in plastic bins (makes for quick clearing of the bed too). As for security, 90%+ of the time if the thieves can't see it they don't take it. Mine rolls nicely over my hitch once I'm at camp and you'd never know it was there. I also really like how fast I can roll it open or closed. It's all trade-offs of course.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #3

I have been very pleased with my Gator Tri-Fold, easy to put on and off and does a good job of keeping water out.
https://realtruck.com/p/gator-sfx-tr...tonneau-cover/
Happy Travels
Old 05-08-2021, 02:02 PM   #4

Long Long Honeymoon videos on what they have had for bed covers.

https://youtu.be/H0xr2itmIV0

https://youtu.be/35MQwnRNKzY

https://youtu.be/o_YheOQcsAw

Charles
Old 05-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #5

Ive got a rollnlock on my truck. Seems like a nice unit, but unfortunately i did the install then pulled the tailgate end off a week after i bought it and havent fixed it in about a year. I think ill get around to it tomorow though.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Ive got a rollnlock on my truck. Seems like a nice unit, but unfortunately i did the install then pulled the tailgate end off a week after i bought it and havent fixed it in about a year. I think ill get around to it tomorow though.
I love the RollnLock. I'm on my 2nd one. Last one went with the truck I sold.
No water gets in and locks up nice. The only draw back to the RollnLock is tool box won't fit . You have to get wheel well type box for tools if you need a tool box that bad. It will last for many many years too. My old one was on for 5 years with no end in sight for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #7

I have a bakflip on my F350 LB. My F150 has the Ford Branded Bakflip. I like them both. They are a hard cover and offer decent security and weather seal.

What I like about them both is you can just fold them up to where you need them. I can use my Fifth Wheel with the one on the F350.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #8

I’ve had two Retrax Pro covers on two different trucks. Did a lot of research/comparisons before buying the first one. If I were to put a cover on the current truck, I would do the same again w/o even looking at anything else.

Sleek, low profile, very weatherproof, although not 100% in heavy blowing rain. more secure than most and can open/latch in any desired position from fully closed to fully open. Only occupies about 10” of bed length when fully retracted and also has about 10” clearance from bottom of drum housing to the floor of the bed.

My last one was for an F250 with 6’-9” bed and was about $1,700, so not the cheapest but a great value in my opinion.

I’d recommend the mat finish, though. My first was a gloss and it dulled a bit over time.

Best wishes whatever you choose.
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Agree with the above. Love my RetraxPro MX (matte finish). Did tons of research here, too.

Be careful with the folding ones on a short bed. I had an UnderCover Ultra Flex, which I loved and used for a couple years, but it would not work for me once I installed a fifth wheel hitch (unless I was willing to fold it all the way up and cover the back window while towing, which I wasn’t willing to do).

Edit: I see now you'll be towing a TT, so disregard my comment on the folding ones, unless you may tow a 5er somewhere down the road.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #10

I have a solid UnderCover and have no security or leakage worries. It can go through the car wash and whatever is inside stays dry. Makes the bed a trunk that can be trusted to keep valuable toilet paper dry and secure when on a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F29D8CF-2C31-4198-8377-74EC28CF72E7.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	327810  
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I have a solid UnderCover and have no security or leakage worries. It can go through the car wash and whatever is inside stays dry. Makes the bed a trunk that can be trusted to keep valuable toilet paper dry and secure when on a trip.
Toilet paper and lumber.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #12

I've had two covers, Under Cover and Extang tri-fold. Each has their advantages. Pulling a TT with a short bed and a desire to be completely dry I would recommend the Under Cover which won't work for a fifth wheel. I like my tri-fold for fiver use but it is old tech and I would prefer one which the front section opens for access. The Extang weeps some at the hinge joints.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #13

your best plan for security is out of site ,out of mind. I have had soft covers your years . I had a Roll-N-Lock for 4 years back around 2001 hated every winter with it. If it rained it would freeze closed , if it snowed and was cold it was fine until the sun melted the snow then it would freeze. Some times the drains would freeze in the drum box and only roll up 2~4'. Some times the lock would freeze and I could drop the tail gate or roll it up. I have got to a soft with canvas rather then typical shiny finish , now the snow doesn't slide off. So my next ruck will be back to shiny finish and live with it. Soft roll up on top of the bed rail so I dont loose any space ,I now have a 60 gallon fuel tank at the back of the cab that us under the soft roll up. less issues , less cost , less headaches and more room in the bed.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #14

On my last truck (F350 SRW), I had a 4 section folding hardtop (Backflip I think). It was very dry and when locked up with the tailgate locked, it was very secure. I added a remote locking switch to the tailgate and then I could unlock it, reach in and pull the cable to foldup the top. Contrary to what others have said, I was able to fold up 3 of the 4 sections, leaving the back window open and still connect the 5th wheel with plenty of clearance. On my next truck (F350 DRW) I have a Rollinglock cover. This cover works great also. However, it does take up space in the bed where the rollup canister is. Wasn't a problem for me as I didn't need a toolbox. However, I was able to find a really nice auxiliary fuel tank that fits below the canister and gives me 48 additional gallons.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, cover