Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Tonneau Covers

So now that I have a new truck, I need to accessorize. I've had solid flat tonneau covers and a full bed cap before. They always seemed to get in the way. Thinking of a Trifold cover like the BAK F1 https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Cov...ll-description or maybe the Lomax cover https://www.agricover.com/hard-tonneau-covers/ , but right now I kind of like the Peragon covers which sort of accordion down into the bed https://www.peragon.com

They all seem to have plusses and minuses, The Lomax and Peragon look like they are easy to completely remove if necessary. The BAK F1 looks like the beefiest, but it also looks pretty heavy, so it might take 2 people to remove if you need to get it out of the way.

Anyone have experience with any of these? Other similar covers? Not interested in a rolling cover or a soft cover.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #2

The Peragon is cool looking but you can't pack stuff high in the front of the bed or the cover won't fold down when folding up.
While I don't own one I'd love to have a retractable. Best of both worlds. Secure and you can drive with it in several positions.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
So now that I have a new truck, I need to accessorize. I've had solid flat tonneau covers and a full bed cap before. They always seemed to get in the way. Thinking of a Trifold cover like the BAK F1 https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Cov...ll-description or maybe the Lomax cover https://www.agricover.com/hard-tonneau-covers/ , but right now I kind of like the Peragon covers which sort of accordion down into the bed https://www.peragon.com

They all seem to have plusses and minuses, The Lomax and Peragon look like they are easy to completely remove if necessary. The BAK F1 looks like the beefiest, but it also looks pretty heavy, so it might take 2 people to remove if you need to get it out of the way.

Anyone have experience with any of these? Other similar covers? Not interested in a rolling cover or a soft cover.

I have an Undercover UltraFlex on my F350 and have no issues with it. Very durable, easy fold up, lighted and the underside of each panel is lined.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #4

I have the Tri Fold Cover from Real Truck. Very pleased with it. https://realtruck.com/c/exterior-acc...onneau-covers/
Old 06-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #5

Yes, I've seen a similar one and I like it. I know it folds all the way up so you have full bed access. But how heavy is it? Can it be removed easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
I have an Undercover UltraFlex on my F350 and have no issues with it. Very durable, easy fold up, lighted and the underside of each panel is lined.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
Yes, I've seen a similar one and I like it. I know it folds all the way up so you have full bed access. But how heavy is it? Can it be removed easily?
It's 70-75 lbs. I've not had a need to remove it, as I've just folded up and locked in one or all the sections as needed. It does only require two bolts to be loosened for full removal though.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I'm leaning toward the BakFlip MX4 when my new RAM 1500 arrives but I'm now seeing they claim not to support the multi function tailgate. So I'll have to dig a little deeper.

Amazon lists the weight as 71 lbs for the MX4, but I assume that includes packaging and parts that would remain installed if you took the cover off temporarily.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:27 AM   #8

Greetings,
I have the Bakflip MX4. Iíve had it for maybe 4 months. I donít know the exact weight but I did install the cover by myself. Iím not a muscle man by any stretch. Not something Iíd want to carry around but certainly not a back breaker.
I like the cover. My highway fuel mileage has increased somewhere between 1-2 MPG. (Not while towing). I Wasnít expecting that. For the most part it is leak free, some water does get in when I wash the truck but thatís about it.
My wife and 2 kids have no problem opening and closing. It does seem to be pretty sturdy. When Iím carrying something that requires the cover to be locked in the open position the locking mechanism seems a bit flimsy but the cover locks up and doesnít move. It just works.
I know there are other less expensive tri fold covers out there but Iím pretty impressed with the Bakflip. Iíd buy another.
Cheers
Plum crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #9

covers

what are you pulling?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

I went with a Gator roll-up vinyl covered aluminum on my Silverado. This way I can roll it out of the way for taller items or even remove it with two clips of I need the full bed. So far so good.

But be aware that it you have bedrail caps make sure whatever you pick works with them.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #11

I’ve got the Retrax Pro XR aluminum. Retractable, but you do give up some bed space. Locking, and nearly waterproof. But best of all it has the T track system into which I mounted Rhino Rack cross bars. Great for bikes and kayaks.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:42 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Well it was a big week. Took delivery of the the new 1500 and got the Bakflip MX4. Shipping weight, according to Fedex, was 71 lbs. I didn't weigh any of the pieces, but the 71 lbs includes shipping materials (box, foam, bags, etc.). This was for the 1500 with RamBox. So, presumably without RamBox it would be wider and heavier.

I had no problem installing by myself. Note to anyone else installing with RamBox, it says in the instructions to remove the adjustable tie down cleats unless you need them "forward" in the bed. I didn't realize until I had the Bakflip rail wedged against the tie down that it wasn't far enough forward and I really didn't want it permanently that far forward. The MX4 rails slide into the cargo management rails and they are a tight fit. Not easy to remove once they are 3/4 of the way on. So, for others that might run into this, "forward" means in front of the prop arm for keeping the MX4 upright when fully open. This becomes clear after you see it installed, but not so much (at least to me) from reading the installation instructions and once you have the rails in far enough to realize it, it's very difficult to get them back out.

The MX4 is easy enough to fully remove. Fold it all the way forward and loosen two nuts with plastic handles and it comes right off. However, I'm not sure I'll ever have a need to completely remove it.
I'm very pleased with the fit of the MX4. The multi-function tailgate leaves a gap on either side, but this is completely outside the area of the cover. I believe that's why Bakflip and many resellers indicate the MX4 won't fit with the multi-function tailgate. I went to Home Depot and picked up a roll of expanding foam tape, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...EF41/310655227 and ran a couple of lines of it where the tailgate meets the sides of the truck and continuing to the edge of the cargo management and MX4 rails. Ideally, this would be one big piece about 3"x5", but two rows doesn't look too bad. I'll see how it holds up. This weatherstrip seems to work pretty well. It expands/compresses to meet the contours of the tailgate. I went through the car wash today and there were a couple of drops of water in the bed. Without the weather strip in place earlier in the week it got a fair amount of water from light rain. I can live with a couple of drops when sprayed with high pressure water.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #13

I ended up buying the Bak Flip F1. Just came yesterday and if the Hurricane doesn't mess my weather up too much I'll try to install it tonight. Not exactly sure what the weight is, but I think it'll be possible to remove if necessary fairly easily. I was going between this and the Peragon, but Peragon deliveries look to be at least 30 days out, so that kind of made my mind up for me since we have several trips coming up.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #14

I went with this since my girl F350 DRW has big hips to contend with It's a little pricey but so much easier to deal with .
https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/rol...ord/f350/2020/ .

Tags
cover