Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
It would be one thing to put yourself at risk but when your family is in the vehicle it's just stupid. Not to mention putting other people on the road at risk. You get a vehicle that can handle or you get a smaller trailer.

I totally get the safety concerns and id like to add that I have pulled this and it pulled beautifully. I hit 70 and driving with one hand , that's how comfy the ride was. I have a wdh that is considered to be one of the better ones, the husky centerline TS and I also have load D tires on the trailer and the tt requires load C so I over killed them. The van has new michelins , 1 year old. I have a tekonsha brake controller that works great so in regards to safety and stopping and sway, it rides like a beauty. I went to weigh my rig and found I'm going to be over about 300 to 500 gwcr and that's where my worrying began. If I didn't weigh I wouldn't suspect a thing. Bottom line is mechanical failure is where my worry lays not so much safety since the van handles the ride and stops like a charm.
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
I see old people.. like really really old (60's and 70's) towing like that all the time. I just slow way way way up.

I must say your comment is a bit condescending to those of us that been around for a while! At 77, I understand haul weight limits, towing weight limits and what truck/MH you need to haul trailers and toads. Being up in years is not, as you suggest, a reason to do dumb things, be unsafe, or be uninformed. By the way, have you ventured a good look lately at the age of some/most of the folks that fly by you on the Interstate at 15-20 mph over the speed limit these days? Enough said!!!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
I must say your comment is a bit condescending to those of us that been around for a while! At 77, I understand haul weight limits, towing weight limits and what truck/MH you need to haul trailers and toads. Being up in years is not, as you suggest, a reason to do dumb things, be unsafe, or be uninformed. By the way, have you ventured a good look lately at the age of some/most of the folks that fly by you on the Interstate at 15-20 mph over the speed limit these days? Enough said!!!
OK, I had to comment on this. I used to be one of those nuts that had to go as fast as you can go but I learn, before the hard way mind you, that there's no reason to be in that kind of rush. Besides as my dad always says when someone passes him, there goes your insurance! They'll get pulled over for being in a speed demon not me.

As for the bad towing practice and age, there's no connection. It's the same people that have no common sense that you need to avoid on the road, weather they are towing or not.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:08 AM   #46

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for putting everyone at risk because you think it's fine to be overloaded because nothing ever happened and doing 70, genius!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
Thanks for putting everyone at risk because you think it's fine to be overloaded because nothing ever happened and doing 70, genius!

When I did 70 I wasn't overloaded . I was alone , this next week I add my family and we overload and I will not be doing 70 , my tires are rated for 65 and are load D when I only need load C. I over killed it on the tire for extra caution. Don't worry you will be fine.
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:52 PM   #48

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can get every add-on and extra upgrade you want but nothing makes up for the fact that you want to put your family and all of us at risk!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #49

I never asked the salesman "if my truck can pull it" because I had gone over and through all the numbers many times (including weighing the truck) Before we bought our 5th wheel. It pulls and handles like a dream !!! (a good dream) We are way under specs on all axles And gross weight. She mentioned on our big yearly trip out west "guess the wind is blowing huh?" she was watching the grass and trees... I just said, "didn't notice" ... Priceless !!! A world away from our older class A . (NO not all class A's are bad handlers,,,)
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote