Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Torsion Bar Suspension or Leaf Spring?

Looking at a new Car Hauler found one I liked a 20 Foot Carson Racer Deluxe. It has 2 5200LB torsion bars. I have no experience with torsion bar suspension and I was wondering what the general consensus is....yay or nay????
CalifCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Most car haulers are going to have torsion bar setups, it lets it sit lower than a typical leaf spring setup.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #3

Torsion axles last longer as they do not have any metal to metal contact such as spring ends and shackles. No maintenance. Not repairable when they do go bad. Independent suspension, no equalization. Some say shocks aren't needed; I might differ. Dexter does not recommend them for triple axle trailers. Axles can serve as structural cross members when designing a trailer.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifCal View Post
. I have no experience with torsion bar suspension and I was wondering what the general consensus is....yay or nay????
Yay or yea! I have Dexter Torflex axles on my cargo trailer. Love them! I have normal springs & shackles on my other trailers including my TT. They're okay. I added shocks to my TT, and it needed them. No need for shocks on the Torflex asles.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #5

One nice thing about torsion bar suspension with elastomeric 'rods' is that the spring rate is progressive. The more the rods get squished, the higher the effective spring rate. A lightly loaded trailer will experience softer spring rate than the same trailer loaded heavily. Like progressive leaf springs, which I haven't seen on small trailers, but are common on trucks, as are 'helper' springs.

Torsion axles are nice on boat trailers and others that travel light when unloaded.

Image from https://carlisuspension.com/product/...ng-packs-2013/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CS-DFSP-ALL.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	303427  
Old 10-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #6

Only issue with torsion axles is that the trailer needs to be LEVEL, not close, but really level. If it is not the "lower" axle will be carrying more load. Thus tires wear more, blow more, etc. With leaf springs, sight nose up or down is compensated for by the equalizer beam between the front and rear springs.

I given a choice, would prefer torsion axles or some sort of independent suspension, but it requires attention to details.

Charles
Old 10-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #7

I would definitely go with the torsion setup on a car hauler! If you are actually hauling cars with it, you win in every way. It has a lower ride height, it pulls much nicer when empty, and less of your trailer capacity is ate up with spring/hanger/axle weight. But you do need to consider loading a little more than with traditional trailer suspension.

Tags
suspension