Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2023, 08:50 PM   #15

Tow/Haul??

Currently my work truck is a 2019 F350 cab and chassis with the 6.-whatever V8 that replaced the V10 and 6-speed automatic. It weighs 13,400#.
The difference between normal and tow/haul mode is definitely noticeable, to me, but I’m the type of driver that pays attention and notices things. One thing (besides shift differences others have mentioned) that tow/haul mode does, is it keeps the torque converter in lock-up more, thus keeping trans temps lower, because the torque converter is the largest creator of heat. Trans temp differences noticed would depend on how you drive and how much weight you’re toting around. Eliminating torque converter slip should help fuel mileage also, though I haven’t seen any measurable difference in mpg in either mode. But, being a work truck with fuel supplied for me, I generally drive it like I stole it. I’m averaging 8.8 mpg. where speed limits range from 60 to 80-85 mph and I generally run the speed limit or 5 over.

I don’t use tow/haul mode all the time. On the open road I often shift to M and gear select manually, thus eliminating double down-shifts and an engine spending unnecessary time close to redline. (Thumb control on the shifter and M on the selector).

The thing I appreciate more than anything about tow/haul mode is more aggressive automatic downshifting when slowing down or descending a hill. Which should prolong brake life.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2023, 03:18 PM   #16

On GM trucks T/H off locks out 1st gear and lowers the shift points (10 speeds diesel) , if you dont use T/H your more likely to use more fuel when your towing . I use T/H almost every day empty or loaded , shifts out of 1st gear with very light power at 12 mph 1800 rpm. I use the engine brake every day unless the roads are slippery , 50000 mile and my brake pads still show 92% on the dash for life left.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:34 PM   #17
Community Moderator

If you are towing and the transmission is often shifting, you should use tow/haul mode. Engaging tow/haul mode increases line pressure and changes shift schedule in your transmission giving you an extra power boost. You may find that if you are towing n a flat area, tow/haul mode is not necessary.

I use it all the time since there a few flat areas where I tow my fifth wheel trailer and my truck only has 6 speed transmission.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #18

The manufacturers know what they are doing; if you are towing or hauling anything significant, it's best to use Tow/Haul mode.

Dave
Old 02-19-2023, 02:53 PM   #19

Well, I have a 2005 Ford Excursion Diesel (Bullet Proofed) and I pull a 40 Ft TT (Heartland Mallard M335). I have an SCT Engine programmer and I do not need tow/haul at all. In fact, it degrades my performance. I do use it in hills/mountains for the drag going down and the long, slow haul going up but other wise, I cruse at 60-65 all day long and get 12 MPG. Good luck
Danj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Tow/haul changes your shift pattern.

Form the manual, "The Tow/Haul Mode adjusts the transmission shift pattern to reduce shift cycling. This provides increased performance, vehicle control, and enhanced transmission and engine cooling when driving down steep hills or mountain grades, when towing, or when hauling heavy loads."

If I am hooked up to my 40' toy hauler my tow/haul is on most of the time.

If I am pulling a light trailer in the hills or town it is always on, however on the highway or similar it typically is not.

If I am driving in the hills, the road from my house to town, it is often on.

Drive your truck in both modes in different situations and see what works best for you.
Yes, I use T/H all the time, especially when I’m coming to a stop, the tranny automatically down shifts. But one thing I have noticed while towing my HHR, I’ve noticed that the trans does spit out some fluid out the top of the tranny case and I’ve had to keep it about a quart low, otherwise I get a puddle.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2001 View Post
Well, I have a 2005 Ford Excursion Diesel (Bullet Proofed) and I pull a 40 Ft TT (Heartland Mallard M335). I have an SCT Engine programmer and I do not need tow/haul at all. In fact, it degrades my performance. I do use it in hills/mountains for the drag going down and the long, slow haul going up but other wise, I cruse at 60-65 all day long and get 12 MPG. Good luck
I was in Oklahoma a year or so ago and an excursion towing a huge airstream was about to merge. I thought I don’t want to get stuck behind that dude so I moved over to pass him instead of slowing. Last thing I saw of him he was topping a hill about 2 mi. up the road, flying low.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
TOW/HAUL mode on GM trucks does a few things.

It changes the shift pattern.
It kicks the alternator into a higher output. (A lot of things do this, but T/H is one way to get the higher output.)
When you flash your turn signal to change lanes, it flashes 3 times in normal mode, 6 times in T/H mode.

There may be a few other adjustments the T/H mode will enable. Towing fairly light trailers with my half ton, I might opt to not enable the T/H mode, but if towing a significant trailer, I would utilize it.

One of the things I have noticed while monitoring the gas mileage readouts on my vehicles over the last 12-15 years is that what I think are flat roads really have a lot of ups and downs to them. With 8-10 speed transmissions, a lot of gear shifting may occur, and without a load, you might never notice. T/H mode with a trailer in tow may smooth some of that out.
I have always used the tow/haul on GM trucks and I didn’t know about the blinker thing. You live and learn. I always turn my headlights on when towing because it sends a little more power to the camper plus I want the lights on the camper on
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
I have always used the tow/haul on GM trucks and I didn’t know about the blinker thing. You live and learn. I always turn my headlights on when towing because it sends a little more power to the camper plus I want the lights on the camper on
On newer GM trucks, either turning the headlights on or TOW/HAUL mode will kick the alternator into a higher output mode, so either works for that piece.

In order for my rear view camera to work, need the taillights on, just easier to go full headlights when I turn the automatic lights off so I don't forget to turn them on when it gets dark.

Not sure when the blinker thing kicked in, my 2015 Canyon had it.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #24

I cover the sensor so that my lights are always on and i do not have to think about turning them off, biggest reason is i drive a lot of 2 lane highways that require lights on in the daytime.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I cover the sensor so that my lights are always on and i do not have to think about turning them off, biggest reason is i drive a lot of 2 lane highways that require lights on in the daytime.
You don't have daytime running lamps? Most vehicles have had them for decades....
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
You don't have daytime running lamps? Most vehicles have had them for decades....
In Canada, daytime running lamps (DRLs) have been required for a while. In the US, they are not required, and some manufacturers actual manufacture different models for different markets. Seems like a lot of work.

I became so used to DRLs on GM vehicles, that when I had my 2009 Wrangler, I would automatically turn on my headlights anytime I drove it.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:37 AM   #27

reuben ray

Reuben.....Old Biscuit is always a good "go to" for advice. Short, and true. Evidently lots of experience, MOMCAT
Old 02-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I rarely use tow/haul but I am over trucked so the Ram isn't working very hard.

IMHO, the biggest benefit with a Ram Cummins, even with a light trailer, using Tow/Haul is the computer down shifts earlier and keeps the exhaust brake engage a longer / to a slower speed. Saves brake wear and keeps the brakes cooler for when you really need them.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow