Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2023, 07:49 AM   #1

Tow/Haul??

In my previous motorhomes I used this all the time. With this truck will I still need to use tow/haul in flat areas?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2023, 08:52 AM   #2

Depends on what you are towing/hauling......

When I hitch up my 14K 5th wheel, tow/haul gets turned on

When NOT towing I sometimes still use tow/haul
Stop and go traffic tranny stays in a gear vs shifting in/out
Descending down grades I like tow/haul mode ---it downshifts and holds speed

So.....Depends on how YOU want to use it
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:55 AM   #3

Like OB, I use tow haul sometimes even when not towing. I'm sure my truck is capable of towing a small trailer in normal mode but I don't know why you'd want too and it would be harder on the tranny.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #4

Tow/haul changes your shift pattern.

Form the manual, "The Tow/Haul Mode adjusts the transmission shift pattern to reduce shift cycling. This provides increased performance, vehicle control, and enhanced transmission and engine cooling when driving down steep hills or mountain grades, when towing, or when hauling heavy loads."

If I am hooked up to my 40' toy hauler my tow/haul is on most of the time.

If I am pulling a light trailer in the hills or town it is always on, however on the highway or similar it typically is not.

If I am driving in the hills, the road from my house to town, it is often on.

Drive your truck in both modes in different situations and see what works best for you.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:15 AM   #5

I rarely use tow/haul but I am over trucked so the Ram isn't working very hard.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:33 AM   #6

TOW/HAUL mode on GM trucks does a few things.

It changes the shift pattern.
It kicks the alternator into a higher output. (A lot of things do this, but T/H is one way to get the higher output.)
When you flash your turn signal to change lanes, it flashes 3 times in normal mode, 6 times in T/H mode.

There may be a few other adjustments the T/H mode will enable. Towing fairly light trailers with my half ton, I might opt to not enable the T/H mode, but if towing a significant trailer, I would utilize it.

One of the things I have noticed while monitoring the gas mileage readouts on my vehicles over the last 12-15 years is that what I think are flat roads really have a lot of ups and downs to them. With 8-10 speed transmissions, a lot of gear shifting may occur, and without a load, you might never notice. T/H mode with a trailer in tow may smooth some of that out.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:28 AM   #7

I guess the question for the OP is, "why would you not want to use tow/haul when towing"?
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
I guess the question for the OP is, "why would you not want to use tow/haul when towing"?
agreed; it can only help so I'm not sure why you wouldn't.

Dave
Old 02-13-2023, 09:47 AM   #9

I would use tow haul mode when I thought about it but mostly towed without it. I never noticed much of a difference in my Ford. But if you read about the GM tow haul mode it does a few nicer things. I like the blinker thing to make sure other drivers see you.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Improved fuel milage would be primary. In tow/haul your shift points change keeping the vehicle in a lower gear longer, decreasing milage. Secondary, if the load is not enough to benefit from tow/haul starting, stopping and shifting can be more less smooth.

Also if it is not needed, why use it?

Also, not all towing is the same. As I said before, with my toy hauler it always used it. I pulled a friends ~20', 3500 gvw camper from AZ to WA and dont think I ever used it, and if I did, it was only in town.

As with so many things in life, right tool for the right job. Even similar jobs are not all the same. Drive the truck in both modes in different situations and see what works best for you.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Improved fuel milage would be primary. In tow/haul your shift points change keeping the vehicle in a lower gear longer, decreasing milage. Secondary, if the load is not enough to benefit from tow/haul starting, stopping and shifting can be more less smooth.

Also if it is not needed, why use it?

Also, not all towing is the same. As I said before, with my toy hauler it always used it. I pulled a friends ~20', 3500 gvw camper from AZ to WA and dont think I ever used it, and if I did, it was only in town.

As with so many things in life, right tool for the right job. Even similar jobs are not all the same. Drive the truck in both modes in different situations and see what works best for you.
I understand what you are saying. If you are not towing anything of weight consequence, why use it. Got it.
I also know tow/haul may use more fuel, but usually not enough to make much difference. I have always said that if you are RVing and worried about fuel mileage, you need a new hobby. 8mpg to 12mpg is the range of most RVers. Using tow/haul isn't going to change that. To me, the benefits outweigh the negatives.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #12

Cool Other reasons to use Tow/Haul...

Since it hasn't been mentioned here permit me. Using tow haul will dramatically reduce your trans fluid temps. In our 24' Class C with the 6.8L V-10} I run with T/H engaged about 95 % of the time {the other 5% I just forget to turn it on}.

Having a Scan Gauge my error its quickly made apparent... on even a slight grade the trans temp will climb about 12 - 14 degrees. When I glance at the Scan Gauge and catch my mistake and turn T/H on those temps quickly, as in a mile or so, drop back to normal. Over time needlessly running 12 - 14 degrees over normal operating temps will have have cumulative impact on the life of your transmission and not in a good way.

For most motorhomes the sheer weight of the coach even when not towing can easily justify using T/H most of the time. Also as mentioned above using T/H when descending long grades will save ton of wear on your brakes and give improved control. Typically i drop down 8 - 12 miles 6 to 8% grades using T/H and setting my cruise control at 50 - 55 depending on the road/weather conditions.

Using this method I usually reach the bottom of the grade without having touched my brakes and all the way down not burning one drop of fuel being an additional benefit. Using T/H will not have a significant negative effect on your fuel consumption and in some case {like mountain driving} you will actually do a little bit better.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #13

I could give a crap about a slight potential increase in mileage; what I do care about is protecting a $15 - $20k transmission as mentioned above..... As I said, I use tow haul often empty just because I feel the shift points that are optimized for mileage/emissions aren't the best for tranny longevity. If I'm towing or hauling anything of consequence my truck is definitely going into tow/haul mode. This is far more of an issue on the new 10spd trucks like mine since when they are NOT in Tow/Haul, they skip gears; 1,3,5th

Dave
Old 02-13-2023, 07:25 PM   #14

I will agree if you have a 10 speed transmission you probably should use 'tow / haul' mode. Mine was on the old 6 speed with 4:30 gears. Maybe that is why I did not notice much of a difference. In the transmission temps or performance of the towing experience.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow