Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Tow Mirrors

I currently use CIPA clip on mirrors. They are ok, but I'm looking to upgrade to extendable mirrors.

The cheapest I could find the factory mirrors is about $650.

I found Kool Vue aftermarkets for about $180.

Here's another aftermarket, I couldn't identify the manufacture, but they look nice with the turn signal on the housing. The cheapest I found these is about $270: "03 04 05 06 CHEVY SILVERADO MIRROR+SIGNAL*POWER+HEAT : eBay Motors (item 290403153057 end time Apr-16-10 11:10:31 PDT)"

Then there are the TTT mirrors which I found on sale for about $465: "Detailed Information | Price and Decription for SCH-1020"

Has any one used any of the mirrors listed? I'm interested in feedback before I plunk down a good bit of change for mirrors. I'm leaning towards the ones with the turn signal on the housing. But they are aftermarkets, so I'm concerned about buying junk since I can't touch and feel 'em.

Thanks
Campin Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thumbs up

I used McKesh mirrors when I towed with my 1996 Ford. They were great. Here's their web site.

McKesh Mirrors

My GMC has extendable trailering mirrors so my McKesh mirrors are no longer needed. However, I carry them as a backup should my truck's regular mirrors be damaged.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
When I first stated pulling I was very adamant about using towing mirrors, but the last five years I have forgotten them. I added a good set of "fish eyes"and move my mirrors out so I can see the trailers sides. With those two combinations I can see what I need to see while towing.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
It appears you want to go the low dollar route, but in case you run across any on e-bay, I'd highly recommend the Power Vision mirrors. We've run a set of these mirrors on our truck for the last 8 years with no problems whatsoever. Ours are electrically extendable and retractable, power adjustable and heated - with the newer ones, integrated turn signals are available as well.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

I put a set of these on my 2008 Chevy 2500HD just 4 days ago.

Actually, for the price they don't seem cheap at all. They look & are an aftermarket version of the same towing mirrors that GM puts on their trucks.
So far I'm satisfied, but I haven't towed with them yet, so can't tell you how much vibration will be noticed going down the highway at higher speeds.

Amazon.com: K Source 62094G Chevrolet/GMC Heated Power Replacement Folding Driver Side Dual Towing Mirror w/ Turn Signal: Automotive
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
So far I'm satisfied, but I haven't towed with them yet, so can't tell you how much vibration will be noticed going down the highway at higher speeds.
If they are anything like the factory installed mirrors which I have, the answer to your question is zero, nada, none, goose eggs. While I don't know what your definition of "higher speeds" is, I can tell you that I've towed at 65-70 at times and have not noticed any vibration.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
If they are anything like the factory installed mirrors which I have, the answer to your question is zero, nada, none, goose eggs. While I don't know what your definition of "higher speeds" is, I can tell you that I've towed at 65-70 at times and have not noticed any vibration.
Thanks for that information Frank.

I was concerned that with the low price I paid that they would end up being really cheap....be loose in the detents etc.
I was relieved to find out that they are built pretty well & are solid as a rock in each position.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow just how much vibration I get when they're pulled out as there is finally enough snow gone (not all of it yet though) to bring home our new 5'er.
It's been sitting 65 miles away at the dealer since we purchased it a couple of months ago just waiting for the sun to come out & melt the snow.
Thats the price I pay to live in one of the valleys of these beautiful mountains at 6000 feet.

Oh...and higher speed is about 60 to 65 for me.

And sorry Camping Fool.....wasn't trying to hijack your thread.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #8

No worry about hijacking the thread. This is the kind of information I'm looking for.

I wouldn't say I'm looking to go the low dollar route, but if the more inexpensive mirrors are as good as factory, why wouldn't I purchase them? The mirrors that Ratfink purchased, look like the Kool Vue mirrors.

I'm just trying to ensure the lower dollar mirrors are up to the quality. I'll probably go with the mirrors with the turn signal on the housing. I like the idea of the signal off the mirror.

Thanks to all the responses so far.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Fool View Post
I like the idea of the signal off the mirror.
I do too. However, I like the trailering mirrors on the newer Fords even better because they also have a clearance light on the opposite side. It's a nice feature that helps other drivers determine just far that mirror's sticking out at night when they're approaching from the opposite direction or backing up along side in a truck stop, rest area, etc.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #10

Yep, I agree Frank. I'm wondering if the ones I'm looking at could be modified to provide a marker light? Appears as though there are two lights on the outside. Maybe, I could grab the side marker light feed from the front. I think this double as a turn/marker light. If I buy em, this will be something that I will look into.

I think the lastest GM mirrors have a marker light on the outside of the tow mirror.