Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Tow rig ?

Considering buying a used toyhauler, Wondering what everyone's thought's are for a tow vehicle.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 keystone View Post
Considering buying a used toyhauler, Wondering what everyone's thought's are for a tow vehicle.
Yes, you will need one.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Yes, you will need one.
Well you are a lot of help

Need to know what size of toy hauler you are getting, some can be towed with a soccer mom suv, some need a 1 ton truck
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #4

You thinking of a 15' bumper pull or a 45' 5th wheel or something in between?

I use a Chevy 3500 dually to pull my 41' Voltage. Wouldn't use anything less.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Well you are a lot of help

Need to know what size of toy hauler you are getting, some can be towed with a soccer mom suv, some need a 1 ton truck
I kinda gave them as much information as they gave us.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

People really need to read their own posts to see if there is enough information to give an answer.

Most of the toy haulers "should" be towed by a Dually.

But hey a 250 with bags and 19.5's can tow anything!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
One that will handle the trailer. You will have to read the towing specs for the truck to determine if it will handle the trailer. Forget about personal opinions, get the facts. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #8

My toy hauler is 27' and bumper pulled. 9400 lbs with toy in garage. I pulled it only in Florida with a 1500 for awhile and moved to a 2500 which is more than adequate for my trailer. I was over the limit with the 1500, but it worked till I could upgrade. I recommend having more than enough truck vs just enough, the towing experience is more relaxed with more truck.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Here we go again!! Just do a search on TV's (tow vehicles) and you will find all the information you need; trust me on that one.

Jim W.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Suggestion

And do not ask "Can my rig tow this" ever again .
Old 10-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #11

Most toy haulers are probaly in the 1 Ton truck catagory. I see 3/4 tons do it, but there no doubt over-loaded. Find a nice used 1 ton diesel pickup, and you'll be G to G. You don't need a Dually, but they would add stability. SRW 1 ton though would be just fine. Have fun shopping for that new to you pickup.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #12

SORRY I musta mist the form for asking question's, but ya your right, more info for more help is needed for a specific answer.
Fifth wheel toy hauler, 3 slide's, 36 to 43 ft. sorry don't know the weight because, well I guess that's obvious ( maybe )
Haven't decided on a floor plan, only know the wife want's a lot of storage, an island kitchen, fireplace in the entertainment area, sofa that convert's to the bed, ( not the j-knife, something better, I don't know ) kitchen table and chair's, not the fold down table and bench, let's see what else?????????????
I'd like a 12 ft. garage, with that ramp that convert's into a deck, dual slide down bed's in garage, 1/2 bath in garage area, outside attached ladder to get to the rubber roof.
I know I've missed something maybe you can help me get more so I won't be disapointed after I get one, oh ya do they make a fifth wheel toy hauler with an outside kitchen?
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
SORRY I musta mist the form for asking question's, but ya your right, more info for more help is needed for a specific answer.
Fifth wheel toy hauler, 3 slide's, 36 to 43 ft. sorry don't know the weight because, well I guess that's obvious ( maybe )
Haven't decided on a floor plan, only know the wife want's a lot of storage, an island kitchen, fireplace in the entertainment area, sofa that convert's to the bed, ( not the j-knife, something better, I don't know ) kitchen table and chair's, not the fold down table and bench, let's see what else?????????????
I'd like a 12 ft. garage, with that ramp that convert's into a deck, dual slide down bed's in garage, 1/2 bath in garage area, outside attached ladder to get to the rubber roof.
I know I've missed something maybe you can help me get more so I won't be disapointed after I get one, oh ya do they make a fifth wheel toy hauler with an outside kitchen?

This size of a Toy Hauler will require a DRW truck which is a 3500 series model from Ram, Chevy or Ford.

To me the answer is obvious a 3500 RAM with the 6.7L Cummins and the 6 Sped Aisin transmission and 4:10 gear set, in the 1 ton model class. The most carrying capacity and towing in this configuration would be a Reg Cab Long Bed 2WD. You can find all of the information you need on towing and carrying capacities from the Ram Body Builders. Com web site. I know that the Reg Cab truck is not practical for most families, so the next best truck would be a Crew Cab configuration in the 2WD model. If you want a 4WD truck you will lose about 350 LB towing and carrying capacity due to the front axle mass on the truck. The truck is SAE compliant to J2807 towing spec’s.

Jim W.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Good job!

Specifically 13 or newer RAM/Cummins/Aisin Dually. SAE J2708 compliant. Medium duty engine and trans. They back up what they claim.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow