Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2022, 09:28 AM   #1

Tow Vehicle Advice Needed for Novice

Hi, I'm looking at used Highlanders to tow my 17 ft Casita, both gas and a hybrid. But the two I'm looking at do not have a hitch. Is there anything special to know about getting the hitch and plug installed? Can I do a third party or should I go to the dealer I buy the used Highlander from? The two models I'm looking at are:

2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT), rated at 3,500 and

Highlander LE V6 SUV AWD rated at 5,000

Any other things I need to be concerned with if the Highlander did not come with a tow package?
For background, we live in CO and take trips in CO. But we are planning a trip up the Pacific Coast in a couple of years. We're currently using a 2012 Touerag that is at the end of it's fine life.
Thanks so much!
coloradofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2022, 10:22 AM   #2

I don't know what the payload capacity of the Highlander is, but that is probably going to be the limiting factor. Not sure if the Highlander publishes a payload capacity, but on at least one of the 2022s, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 6000 pounds against a curb weight of 4465, leaves you with over 1500 pounds of payload? That seems higher than I would expect.

You already have the trailer it sounds like, do you have the tongue weight as it sits (not the factory number) to determine if your payload will handle it?

I would likely plan on a WD hitch.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I don't know what the payload capacity of the Highlander is, but that is probably going to be the limiting factor. Not sure if the Highlander publishes a payload capacity, but on at least one of the 2022s, the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 6000 pounds against a curb weight of 4465, leaves you with over 1500 pounds of payload? That seems higher than I would expect.

You already have the trailer it sounds like, do you have the tongue weight as it sits (not the factory number) to determine if your payload will handle it?

I would likely plan on a WD hitch.
Thanks. I don't know the tongue weight. We bought it used and I never checked it out. Fortunately, we have a Touerag which had a high towing capacity.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:37 PM   #4

Check and see of the Highlander has any limitations on the front surface area of the towed trailer. Some of the lower-tow-rated, unibody tow vehicles don't like pulling that much wind drag regardless of weight ratings.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:21 PM   #5

I'd recommend a light duty WDH with built in sway control after install of a good class3 receiver. Price a hitch from etrailer and then ask the dealer what is the cost to add it to the sale. May get it thrown into the deal. Your Casita should be a decent match for the Highlander but don't expect it to leap tall mountains with a single bound. Either should be able to get you there. I'd weigh the cost of each against how much MPG difference not towing and what % of use will be towing.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:39 PM   #6

A highlander is a unibody frame; many are not compatible with WDH. I'd check the manual on that.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #7

The 5000 tow rating likely requires the tow package for the tranny cooler.
If it didnt come with a pig you may still be able to add an aftermarket one.
You might check eTrailer.com.
Also be aware that a flat faced trailer will tow much harder than the same wt boat or open trailer.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:22 PM   #8

Are these all wheel drive??
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Are these all wheel drive??
Yes
Old 03-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #10

Some of these small/medium sized SUV type vehicles don’t play well with weight distribution hitches. Might want to check with the manufacturer on that.

Consider using the bathroom scale method to weigh the tongue accurately. Try to keep at least 10 percent of the weight on the hitch, but if it’s heavier than that consider packing strategically to lessen the hitch weight. Eg, behind the axle of the trailer.

We tow with an SUV as well and have to pay attention to those things. We are not able to use a weight distribution hitch because of the manufacturers limitations.

Hope you sort it out.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:53 PM   #11

I tow a 3,300 GVWR "large" teardrop (8' 8" tall) with my 2010 Highlander. Mine has the 3.5 L V6 with tow package and is rated for 5,000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue weight.

The Casita will likely be too much for the hybrid Highlander with only a 3,500 lb tow rating. I'm well under my 5,000 lb tow rating, and I don't want to try anything larger than what I have. The wind drag is considerable, even with a teardrop shaped trailer. My top speed is about 65 mph on flat ground without a headwind, slower in rolling hills or with a modest headwind. I can feel extra heat coming off the transmission, although I've never heated it up enough to trigger an overheat warning. With a 3,500 lb rating, I'm guessing that hybrid does not have a transmission cooler, which means you'd run the risk of burning up the transmission.

The one with the 5,000 lb tow rating probably will work, although you should definitely make sure the loaded tongue weight isn't too close to 500 lbs. I looked at Casitas, and my recollection is that the 17' models have a pretty heavy tongue. You won't be winning any races, and your gas mileage will be worse than if you were pulling a fiver with an F-350, but you'll get there.

I use an Equalizer WDH with 4-point sway control. The WDH is a must, in my opinion. The Highlander is too unlevel without it. My owner's manual doesn't say anything one way or the other about using a WDH. But if the one you're looking at is a third gen Highlander or later (2014 or newer), you should check the owner's manual to be sure.

I installed the class III receiver and 7-pin wiring myself. The Highlander doesn't have any pre-wiring for the 7-pin, so you have to run all the wires and drill a hole in the firewall for the wires that run in to the brake controller. It wasn't much fun because of all the crawling around underneath and drilling holes, etc., but it was pretty straightforward. If you don't want to do it yourself, check with U-haul dealers, trailer shops, and shops that do modification work.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellibe View Post
I tow a 3,300 GVWR "large" teardrop (8' 8" tall) with my 2010 Highlander. Mine has the 3.5 L V6 with tow package and is rated for 5,000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue weight.

The Casita will likely be too much for the hybrid Highlander with only a 3,500 lb tow rating. I'm well under my 5,000 lb tow rating, and I don't want to try anything larger than what I have. The wind drag is considerable, even with a teardrop shaped trailer. My top speed is about 65 mph on flat ground without a headwind, slower in rolling hills or with a modest headwind. I can feel extra heat coming off the transmission, although I've never heated it up enough to trigger an overheat warning. With a 3,500 lb rating, I'm guessing that hybrid does not have a transmission cooler, which means you'd run the risk of burning up the transmission.

The one with the 5,000 lb tow rating probably will work, although you should definitely make sure the loaded tongue weight isn't too close to 500 lbs. I looked at Casitas, and my recollection is that the 17' models have a pretty heavy tongue. You won't be winning any races, and your gas mileage will be worse than if you were pulling a fiver with an F-350, but you'll get there.

I use an Equalizer WDH with 4-point sway control. The WDH is a must, in my opinion. The Highlander is too unlevel without it. My owner's manual doesn't say anything one way or the other about using a WDH. But if the one you're looking at is a third gen Highlander or later (2014 or newer), you should check the owner's manual to be sure.

I installed the class III receiver and 7-pin wiring myself. The Highlander doesn't have any pre-wiring for the 7-pin, so you have to run all the wires and drill a hole in the firewall for the wires that run in to the brake controller. It wasn't much fun because of all the crawling around underneath and drilling holes, etc., but it was pretty straightforward. If you don't want to do it yourself, check with U-haul dealers, trailer shops, and shops that do modification work.
Great post. Ton of info there for highlander drivers.

Safe trails.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #13

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the 3500# limit rules out the hybrid for towing a 17' Casita. That said, there is likely someone on some forum who will give you the OK.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
A highlander is a unibody frame; many are not compatible with WDH. I'd check the manual on that.
In the case of the German SUVs, it's the hitch itself, not the fact that it's a unibody.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tow