Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2020, 04:47 AM   #1

Tow vehicle for a Keystone BHS243

Hello experts!

Since COVID has hit, we have a unique opportunity to spend some extended time travelling with our Keystone BHS243. WE haven't towed our camper in several years (we generally have been staying at our seasonal campground - which has been awesome!).

We're planning an extended 4-6 week trip cross-country (from Ohio to California), and don't have a current tow vehicle (we've rented pickups in the past few years for the short trips we've taken).

I know this discussion tends to be a heated one -- but having a tough time with specs for 1/2 ton pickups. There are SO many options. I want to make the right decision as I destroyed the transmission on my last tow vehicle (Nissan Armada).

A few things I know I want: a pickup truck; extended cab (teenage kids and dog). Our next RV is going to be a Class C, so not overly concerned with buying for a larger RV.

The Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost appears to be a decent choice. But open to exploring other options. Here's what I know about my trailer:

Dry Weight: 4,880 lbs
Payload Capacity: 1,620 lbs
GVWR: 6,500 lbs
Hitch Weight: 580 lbs

We tend to travel heavy (wife loves her creature comforts) - so I know we need to add for 'typical' extras.

Looking for advice/perspective on options. Hoping to find a vehicle that will be a good balance between tow capacity and driving comfort when not towing (the truck will double as my every day 'around town' vehicle).

Thanks for any perspective to help me get started in my search!

Thanks,

BR
Shaker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 07:20 AM   #2

Options I'm considering so far:

Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Silverado 1500 5.3L V8 (with 8-speed)
and Max Trailering Package
Shaker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #3

When considering a 1/2 ton truck as your TV, the biggest factors to consider is payload, and hitch ratings.

Tongue weight on your trailer, and all occupants, and cargo go against your payload.

Your tongue weight usually falls in the 13 to 15% for proper towing. If towing at your GVWR that puts you in the 850 plus range. Add another 75lbs for your WDH.

The trailer sounds good with a 1/2 ton, but you’ll need to watch payload ratings on each particular truck you look at.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #4

Two things:

1. The Ford 3.5 Eco-Boost tows kinda like a diesel with torque low in the RPM range. The GM engine that competes with the 3.5 Eco-Boost is the GM 6.2.

2. 150/1500 series trucks have payloads from 1,500 lbs. to 2,100 lbs. Try to find one you like with at least 1,800lbs. payload.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

Three truck come to mind for your trailer, with lots of stuff.

F150 with the 3.5, 10 speed, keep an eye on payload.

Chevy 2500, with 6.2, 10 speed

Ram 2500 with 6.4 8 speed
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #6

I have a similar trailer and had a 1500 to start with. Long story short, it would pull it but payload lacked for the model I had. Went to a 2500 6.4 8 speed and it will do anything I need it to do with ease. Much more comfortable and I feel much more in control and I dont have to buy special tires, suspension and all the other things people do to 1/2 tons. My opinion is go 3/4 or better and you will not regret it and have room for a bigger trailer or a 5th wheel should you want without also having to upgrade tow vehicle. Good luck on your search [emoji111]
RvRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #7

A happy medium on what I think is now the best 150/1500 competitor trucks in the refreshed 2020 Nissan Titan XD. I day this because of all the new safety features they make standard. Emergency breaking forward and reverse and lots of other nice features.

Oh, next RV is going to be a class 'C'. Sorry got to chuckle a little. My DW and I had our hearts set on a used Diesel Pusher. But never bought it but went with a new dually truck and new 5th wheel.

The XD has a thicker frame, longer wheelbase, LT E rated tires, tow mirrors, bigger brakes, 9 speed transmission and lots of other features.

Here is a review:

https://youtu.be/f1dnhvHkh8s
Old 08-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #8

FYI, I have the same travel trailer and started a thread a couple weeks ago about a TV, if you want to spend some time reading. Lots of good info there already. Don't get a Ranger, lol.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/rate-my-rig-newbie-498773.html
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:34 AM   #9

The tongue weight will be between 800 and 900 lbs, possibly a little more. With four people, a dog, some stuff in the bed, this is a lot for a F150, probably too much. I bet it will exceed the payload of the truck by a good margin.

Charles
Old 08-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #10

IMO, if you’re looking ½ ton gas burner, you can’t go wrong with the Tundra 5.7. We had a crewmaxx pulling a Cherokee 29TE bunkhouse and it never knew it was back there. Except for the mpg.
BroKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #11

Just curious - what is the payload on the all mighty Tundra? I understand the payloads are relatively low.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:52 PM   #12

Just get a 3/4 ton and be done with it. Its a better all around package, bigger bed for stuff that wont fit in the trailer, better gearing usually, stronger drive train, and the ride wont beat you up.theres no lose to getting a 3/4 ton.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:24 AM   #13

There are dozens of posts about this and I don't recall a single one where someone is complaining about having bought too much truck because it tracks better, pulls better, is safer and better in a crosswind. I guess I just don't understand why anyone would buy a truck that is just enough to get the job done. ( especially if you need to add aftermarket stuff to get the job done ) It isn't just payload or enough hp to pull the load. Heavier duty trucks are heavier duty all around. Tires, brakes, suspension and running gear, etc.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Just curious - what is the payload on the all mighty Tundra? I understand the payloads are relatively low.
Relatively speaking, the tundra payload is lower, but practically, it’s never been a problem for me. We didn’t load the truck with much, and the weight hitch kept the weight off the truck. Tow rating was 10500 which was more than enough for our 7800 bh.

I do agree with the post below- you can’t have too much truck. If you can get a ¾ by all means get it. In fact, I think I said that in another thread. If you are in the market for a ½ take a hard look at the tundra.
BroKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, tow