Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle got rear-ended

So my Ram 2500 was loaded up with almost 1,000lbs in the bed (not towing) and I got rear-ended by... a Prius.
Sounds funny, I know. I had my small 1 3/4" ball mount in the hitch and it didn't feel like much of a hit, buy the rear bumper and hitch are definitely bent down slightly.

Parts are getting replaced by insurance, but I can't confirm what parts they are using. Sounds like maybe non-OEM.

I'm very frustrated.

Thoughts?
What can I look for to make sure the parts are strong enough and installed right? I certainly plan to get under there and torque and the nuts/bolts.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #2

If I were you I would demand OE parts! Either good condition from a junkyard or factory new. Talk to your agent.

They tried that BS with me, It did not work I ended up with factory new rear bumper. They sell them on Ebay all day for $350.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
VTR

Insurance will save all they can. Do some research and find a body shop that will put in OEM parts and fight for you. Some shops do some do not, if it's too late demand Oem.
VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Make sure you take it where you want, not where the insurance company wants to. A way to make sure they use OEM parts is take it to the Dealer, have them fix it, and do not accept it if they did not use OEM parts. Insurance Companies like to fix things in the cheap, I on the other hand like it to look like it never happened, and with the same factory look it had before their insured hit it.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #5

Once a shop is decided on, I would specify the replacements by brand and part number.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #6

Mine, too - on Saturday, by a RAV4. Take it to a shop that you trust - everything should be replaced with OEM parts and you need to make sure the frame and mount points are fine.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #7

Never trust a Insurance Company "preferred" Body Shop. They only lookout for the InsCo!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

A body shop can install any part you want. However, the insurance may only pay for an aftermarket, or even used parts. (Most the insurance companies I work with mandate A/M, reconditioned, or used pars on vehicles over a year old or over 12k miles.) These rules are NOT from the body shop, but mandated by the insurance company. "Preferred" shop or not, we still have to work in the guidelines.

Keep in mind that most bumpers on trucks are "aftermarket" from the factory. Same for the hitch.
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have demanded and received oem parts
when the aaa rep said they were the same I told her I would agree to non-genuine parts if I could pay future premiums with counterfeit money because according to her logic if it looks the same must be the same , she said she would call me back after talking to her supervisor 15 minutes later she said they would pay for the real stuff ins companies are allowed to get away with as much as YOU let them
brianj
Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
My wife hit a deer with our Dodge Charger. Our insurance let us pick the body shop & once there, I negotiated with the shop owner that I would pay the difference for OEM (Mopar) parts. The difference I paid was only $510 for a $3800 repair.....the only way to fly IMHO is OEM!
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Never trust a Insurance Company "preferred" Body Shop. They only lookout for the InsCo!
I beg to differ Cummings. You are painting with a very wide brush, and your statement is just not true in most cases. The shop I am at is a DRP (direct repair program, or "preferred" shop) for 8 insurance companies. While we do have to work within some parameters, our first concern is ALWAYS the customer. Insurance companies will only pay for certain parts (see my post above) no matter if you are preferred shop or not. Things like sand and polish, color tint and haz material disposable need to be done, paid for or not. We include those things for our customers at no charge to them.

slanted
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it is bumper and hitch you are talking about there are usually stronger units available aftermarket. Factory recievers are not always so great. Might be a good time to upgrade with the insurance paying part of the bill. Just a thought
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Since the other driver was at fault. I would be sure OEM parts were used on their dime.

My wife was involved in a hit & run. My insurance "can" use after market parts over OEM Toyota parts. I said I'll pay the difference for the OEM trim pieces and headlight units. The aftermarket fender never fit anyways, so they had to use a OEM fender anyway. I think it cost me $75 more. But if the hit & run driver was found it would have been on them.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #14

My main concern was the hitch. Picked it up this afternoon and everything looks correct. All bolt-on. No paint.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow