Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Inverter

Does anyone use an Inverter attached to the tow vehicle to supply AC power while boondocking? I was thinking of using a 3K inverter running off the truck batteries in place of a generator. That would allow me to use the remote start on the TV when I need to make coffee in the morning.
tomk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

That could work.

Just be careful not to draw your truck battery down overnight, to where it won't start.

Truck start batteries are not deep cycle. Run them down to many times and they die.

They make a start battery protector that cuts the power to accessories at a set voltage, to save your battery for starting.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #3

I was thinking I would only use it with the engine running to keep the batteries charged.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

Grand Design Owners Club
in your profile you list a 40' fifth wheel, so what is your TV? Diesels with particulate filters are not recommended to have extended idle times, unlike the diesels of old.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #5

What's considered " Extended idle times ".

A pot of coffee only takes a few minutes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:59 AM   #6

Actually, if you are just brewing some coffee, you probably wouldn't need to run the TV.
gordofuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A little unconvention but no reason the setup wouldn't work. The one problem you have to consider is DC power losses due to supply wire size and length. Heating devices such as a coffee pot or a hair dryer can have some demanding wattage requirements. For the inverter to be effective and to support high power devices you might may need rather heavy and short length power cable bolted to the DC power source to be effective.

A small and quiet 2000 watt inverter type generator might cost more but would be a much simpler and a bit more flexible setup for other uses than an inverter tied into your TV 12VDC power.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #8

How about connecting the inverter to the 5th wheel battery and running the TV to keep the charge up?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

I don't electricity to make coffee, but I have had another strange idea. When camping we often use the TV for sight seeing thru the day. While away from the camper, the power demanded by camper is low. Mount a smaller battery to camper, to supply what is needed when not home. Mount the main part of battery bank on TV, with long fat wires to hook to RV when on site. The batteries would re-charge while using the TV...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I am planing on doing this next year. I have seen a contractor with this setup in his truck tool box and it works great
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, tow