Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #29

[QUOTE=manwithnorv;4417241]I'm getting pricing on a GMC 3500 HD Denali, Crew Cab, DRW. Question: should I go with the 8' bed or the 6 1/2'. Will a 6 1/2' bed require a slide hitch? Will the 8' bed DRW be a pain to park anywhere and will the shorter bed make that much difference in the parking issue.

I hope to hear from folks who have the 8' bed and whether or not they love it or regret getting it. And visa versa those who went with 6 1/2' beds.[/QUOTE

If I'm not mistaken, Dodge is the only manufacturer that offers a short bed with dual wheels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #30

My first truck was a long bed. Then I had 4 short beds. My truck now is a long bed. When using the truck as a truck, the long bed is awesome. When using the truck as a car, the long bed can be a pain. The only drawbacks to a long bed are parking (especially in the city or parking garage) and tight cornering (drive through). I will hopefully never go back to a short bed
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #31

[QUOTE=TB673;4421678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I'm getting pricing on a GMC 3500 HD Denali, Crew Cab, DRW. Question: should I go with the 8' bed or the 6 1/2'. Will a 6 1/2' bed require a slide hitch? Will the 8' bed DRW be a pain to park anywhere and will the shorter bed make that much difference in the parking issue.

I hope to hear from folks who have the 8' bed and whether or not they love it or regret getting it. And visa versa those who went with 6 1/2' beds.[/QUOTE

If I'm not mistaken, Dodge is the only manufacturer that offers a short bed with dual wheels.

You may want to check out the You tube videos by big truck big RV. One of their videos discussed what you can get new for a reasonable price.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #32

We are considering a truck & fifth wheel to replace our totaled by hail motorhome in the future .
We are fulltimers , so the truck would be our daily . I’m certain my wife won’t drive a LWB . We test drive an 05 Ram 2500 4 door regular bed the other day & both love how it drives .
Hope a regular bed won’t be an issue
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:49 AM   #33

Anyone who states have no trouble parking one had not been in a tight parking lot. Like ones on big construction sites. Three point turn just to get out much less backing in.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #34

Quote:
I'm getting pricing on a GMC 3500 HD Denali, Crew Cab, DRW. Question: should I go with the 8' bed or the 6 1/2'. Will a 6 1/2' bed require a slide hitch? Will the 8' bed DRW be a pain to park anywhere and will the shorter bed make that much difference in the parking issue.

I hope to hear from folks who have the 8' bed and whether or not they love it or regret getting it. And visa versa those who went with 6 1/2' beds.
Long bed F450 pickup, turns sharper than any crewcab long or short bed out there. Not knocking any bodies trucks but drive one and you will understand. I’m on my second and never plan to go smaller.
On other trucks, no real advantage of a short bed on a DW truck other than length and it tides rougher plus can’t haul as much in the bed.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #35

8' vs 6.5'

Quote:

I hope to hear from folks who have the 8' bed and whether or not they love it or regret getting it. And visa versa those who went with 6 1/2' beds.

I had an 8" DWR for 26 years and just never considered a shorter bed. My reply to the Mrs' was "If the mirrors fit, the rest will fit." Last one was a 2004 F350 Crew, Super Duty DRW 4X4 that I drove to work daily. Parked on the top floor of a parking garage in downtown Kansas City, MO. I scared some motorists coming the opposite direction on the ramps, but I never had a problem. It's all in what you want and can adapt to. You do need to be mindful of those you park next to, so they can exit/enter their vehicles.
Jautry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #36

Montana 5th Wheel, Ram 1 ton short bed, Andersen Ultimate hitch. Never a ever, a single issue.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #37

Toad lenth

I pull a full size Saburban with a 40 dp....when it comes to parking ...if you can park a 40 rig with any length toad your in a group of drivers that don't worry about the length....weve cris / crossed the country several times...was never stopped by law enforcement once...they did however check our rig and TOAD out for all the right equipment as well as running our plates in just about every state we travled through....i guess that what they do right...if you have the ability to stay between the lines and not kill anyone...it's a plus.Getting into some off the diesel pumps is sometimes a lot of fun....especially when those SQUEEKY kids running the diesel pumps need to pass a common sense test on how to treat there customers...that was our biggest challenge....
Kbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Are you aware that 102" is the maximum width allowed by law for a non-permitted trailer or load?

I am, my 102” wide body toy hauler is 109” as shipped from the factory.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #39

Bought a new 2500 GMC shortbed 4x4 in 2015 and hated it. Was wonderful for around town but towing a TT or 5th wheel was horrible. The ride was ridiculous, it had 20 or 22 inch wheels and was so unstable when loaded. I would say the saying "All hat and no cattle" fit that truck.
life2short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #40

I have a 1995 Dodge diesel extended cab with the 8 foot bed. I am very happy that I went with the longer bed because I have many more options then I would with a short bed. In the past I have put a Lance camper 11.3 I believe. Now I am towing a 32 foot fifth wheel with no problem. if I choose in the future to park my RV and travel in a truck camper I will have more choices. Also I have a lot more room for Stuff, and I have a lot of stuff.
NMgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
RAM 2500 CTD with short bed and airbags instead of dual rear wheels and it pulled my 40' Cardinal perfectly. I highly recommend an Anderson Hitch. No need for a slide and the hitch only weights about 40lb., so really easy to pull out of your truck bed at the end of a trip. No chucking and it's less $$ to buy.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #42

2018 GMC Denalli Bed length

Hi, I just purchased a 2018 GMC Denalli DRW Crew Caba a few months ago. I could only order it with an 8’ bed.
I plan on buying a Fifthwheel soon and everything i’ve read said a 6.5’ bed is too short risking damage to both the cab and RV.
I’ve also read slider hitches are very awkward to run with.
Personally I was Leary of both a Dually and Crew with a full eight foot bed.
Not anymore, I love my truck. See attached photo.
Happy trails,

Frank

Quote:

rockfj58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow