Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Tow Vehicle length

I'm getting pricing on a GMC 3500 HD Denali, Crew Cab, DRW. Question: should I go with the 8' bed or the 6 1/2'. Will a 6 1/2' bed require a slide hitch? Will the 8' bed DRW be a pain to park anywhere and will the shorter bed make that much difference in the parking issue.

I hope to hear from folks who have the 8' bed and whether or not they love it or regret getting it. And visa versa those who went with 6 1/2' beds.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have a 350 with long bed. Yes is a pain to park( in the city), but didn't need a slider.

Love my truck.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #3

I've been driving/hauling with an '02 Silverado CC DRW LB for years and have no issues. I generally park away from the pack anyway when able, but you get accustomed to the vehicle and soon parking is a non-issue.

I have never owned/towed a short bed, so I can't comment on that. My brother had a '10 Ford 1 ton SRW short bed, and moved to a '10 CC DRW LB after he and I compared notes. Bed space is a big deal depending on your RV lifestyle. FWIW.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

If you go with the 6'5 bed you loose the drw. I've owned both. The short bed srw is easy to drive and park around the city, it's my current dd. The drw cc 8' bed is a little harder but once you are used to it, it's not a problem either. I could park that in the grocery store lot just like any other car. Never took up more than 1 spot. May have stuck out a little, but never hit any one or made them mad by sucking up multiple spaces. Just takes time and practice.
As for towing, can't really compair an 01 dually to a 14 srw. The 14 is a far better puller and the stability seams about the same, but I tow short trips.

PS: the 8' bed will be better for turning and the 6'5" bed you have to be a little more careful with, but the newer 5vers have the radius corners which allows for tighter turns. I have a fixed hitch and have no problems turning or backing.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
I've been driving/hauling with an '02 Silverado CC DRW LB for years and have no issues. I generally park away from the pack anyway when able, but you get accustomed to the vehicle and soon parking is a non-issue.

I have never owned/towed a short bed, so I can't comment on that. My brother had a '10 Ford 1 ton SRW short bed, and moved to a '10 CC DRW LB after he and I compared notes. Bed space is a big deal depending on your RV lifestyle. FWIW.
Good to know....thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Length

While we do not have a GMC, we do have a 2018 Ram crewcab 8' box, 3500 dually. Our Vilano 365RL fits nicely behind and the length is manageable. For my money, I would go with the long box.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tow Vehicle length

I tow a '17 Landmark, 43', with a '15 F350 DRW 2WD LB. Don't regret it one bit, I just park a little further away from everyone since I don't mind walking. Only regret is not having 4WD, but haven't need it yet, but TT is 18k and I wanted all the payload I could get and it has 5660# of it!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #8

For the last 9 years I had a 06 Chevy DRW with the 8' box and just recently moved up to a 18 Chevy DRW with 8' box. The longer wheel base gives a better ride and the extra box space allows a aux fuel tank option for fewer fuel stops during trips. We generally park near the back of store parking lots whether with the truck or motorcycle anyway. You will also have a larger selection of vehicles to choose from with the DRW 8' box unless you plan to order your truck. Resale should be better with the longer box. As you can see in the picture, it's easy to fill the truck bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckBox2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	220383  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
For the last 9 years I had a 06 Chevy DRW with the 8' box and just recently moved up to a 18 Chevy DRW with 8' box. The longer wheel base gives a better ride and extra box space to haul a aux fuel tank for fewer fuel stops during trips. We generally park near the back of store parking lots whether with the truck or motorcycle anyway. You will also have a larger selection of vehicles to choose from with the DRW option and the 8' box unless you plan to order your truck. Resale should be better with the longer box.
Ditto. Good info, thanks for the feedback. I'm think I'm convinced on the 8' bed.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
CCH

Heartland RV Club
I see zero downside on my 8’ bed - and firmly agree with all the upside mentioned. I park away as well, but mainly because of the width of the truck more than length. Mine is my daily driver and we go drive thru to get coffee every morning - also fit in the laser wash (tho a bit tight side-to-side).
Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #11

Have a 2007 3500 Quad Cap Longbed with 'narrow hips' (SRW)

Being a bit slimmer I can park in most parking spaces ---they are getting narrower and narrower.
Do have to pull nose of truck up as far as possible so tail isn't sticking out into the traffic lane which are also getting narrower and narrower (hard for 2 opposing vehicles to pass in most parking lots)

Don't regret anything about a Longbed.
Have room in front of bed for my self enclosed generator and room behind my hitch for storage box
Plus the longbed helps smooth out the lousy roads which are getting more and more prevalent all across the USA

Shortbed......unless it is on a standard regular cab the shortbed looks out of place
And one may/may not need a slider hitch depends on 5vr front cap design.
But one does loose a lot of storage space
And the shorter wheelbase can cause a 'bucking/chucking' ride on the dang lousy roads.

Example of my set up...except my truck is RED and has a Louvered Tailgate
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #12

I daily drive my 12 ram CC LB DRW, the Denali’s like ram have a very tight turning radius, making it easy to park and drive, I back in to every spot so the cars next to me can still open their doors and not have to work around the dually flairs. It’s a thing you get used to doing, I had a dodge CC SB before, really didn’t notice a difference in driving between the 2
Old 09-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I'm getting pricing on a GMC 3500 HD Denali, Crew Cab, DRW. Question: should I go with the 8' bed or the 6 1/2'. Will a 6 1/2' bed require a slide hitch? Will the 8' bed DRW be a pain to park anywhere and will the shorter bed make that much difference in the parking issue.

I hope to hear from folks who have the 8' bed and whether or not they love it or regret getting it. And visa versa those who went with 6 1/2' beds.

GMC HD DRW's are only available with 8' (97.76") beds.

https://www.gmc.com/previous-year/si...d-price/config

And yes, it will be an absolute PITA to park.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #14

Have a 2015 DRW. I have no issues with parking it, though I do try to park a little further out to make things that much easier, but I can get into a closer in spot if I want to. The Denali will come with front and rear parking sensors, possibly even the 360 cameras system. Parking wont be a problem for you.

Tags
tow