Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #29

^^^listen to Shane above...also, even though you have two kids, they tend to want to bring friends. I would highly recommend Expedition, Tahoe/Sub, or similar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #30

Tow Vehicle Q

Just read a review on Motor Trend magazine of their SUV of the Year...wait for it...Land Rover Defender 110! Wow! Super interesting. Sure, you can lux it up to over $80k, but it also starts at only $50k. At $68k-ish, you have a bunch of nice features, heated and cooled leather seats, tow package, 8,200-lb tow capacity, and 1,900-lb payload capacity! Wow! In the ballpark of the Expy XLT and its a truly capable SUV. And, get this, its a unibody! Wow! I have to eat my words from my past few comments and responses. A Land Rover unibody with 8,200-lb tow capacity and a 1,900-lb payload, AWD, some luxury features (not all), air suspension but very well controlled ride and handling. Its wheelbase is its aquilles heel though, at only 119”. So it is not suited for longer TT, but still. Did I mention 400 hp turbo and supercharged V6 engine! Wow!

Please, oh please...somebody here tell me you have one of these and you love it! [no negative vibes...I don’t wanna hear ‘bout no poor reliability].
Old 10-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
Please, oh please...somebody here tell me you have one of these and you love it! [no negative vibes...I don’t wanna hear ‘bout no poor reliability].
That would be my concern about that brand, but beyond that probably not a vehicle you want to have problems with in the middle of nowhere.

Decades ago I was having trouble with my Fiat X-1/9 (mid-engine) on I-5 in northern California. I stopped in at a shop and the guy wouldn't look at it, but did offer me use of his tools.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
I'm you're huckleberry! We've got 6 of us (me, wife, 4 kids) and an 18' box TT with no slide. We see no need for a bigger trailer, because we go camping to play outside, not sit inside watching TV.
Wow, I applaud you!

Our trailer is slightly bigger than yours for just the two of us. If it was just me it would be much smaller, although I do appreciate the nicer shower for about 2 minutes a day.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
Just read a review on Motor Trend magazine of their SUV of the Year...wait for it...Land Rover Defender 110! Wow! Super interesting. Sure, you can lux it up to over $80k, but it also starts at only $50k. At $68k-ish, you have a bunch of nice features, heated and cooled leather seats, tow package, 8,200-lb tow capacity, and 1,900-lb payload capacity! Wow! In the ballpark of the Expy XLT and its a truly capable SUV. And, get this, its a unibody! Wow! I have to eat my words from my past few comments and responses. A Land Rover unibody with 8,200-lb tow capacity and a 1,900-lb payload, AWD, some luxury features (not all), air suspension but very well controlled ride and handling. Its wheelbase is its aquilles heel though, at only 119”. So it is not suited for longer TT, but still. Did I mention 400 hp turbo and supercharged V6 engine! Wow!

The achilles heel for a Land Rover is the receiver rating. Look it up.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
The achilles heel for a Land Rover is the receiver rating. Look it up.
It that due to the Unibody construction?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 PM   #35

Tow Vehicle Q

Oh, my...330-lbs!? That can’t be right. “Maximum coupling point/nose weight”. Is that the same as max hitch load? Damn Brits; can’t they speak plainly? How can you have a 15,000+ lb combined weight rating, 8,200 lb tow rating, 1,900 lb payload rating and only allow 330 lbs on the hitch?

Dug deep into their website and manuals. The 330 lbs is indeed tongue weight (Certified). Whatever that means. Then they state, “Maximum tongue weight (Design) is 771 lbs”. Footnote says “For every pound above 331 lbs added to the trailer tongue weight the same weight must be removed from the vehicle’s payload”. Ah, ha! So one could have up to 771 lbs hitch load but reduce payload by 440 lbs. So is that 1,900 lbs - 440 lbs = 1,460 lbs? Or is it 1,900 lbs - 770 lbs = 1,130 lbs?
Old 10-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #36

Generally speaking, SUVs are good people movers, poor towing machines. Your research on the Range Rover is an example. Bigger body on frame types will be better but still lacking in payload and towing geometry and equipment. Towing is more an after thought since most won't be used for that.

Back in the day the Chevrolet Suburban had a 3/4T version, 2500 with the gas 454. Handled towing pretty well and loved gas stations.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:31 PM   #37

For those who are interested...I just read that GM is considering a HD version of the new Suburban!
Old 11-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #38

We have a 2009 Lexus LX 570. It's a great tow vehicle, plus extra capable off-road. The new ones are crazy expensive, but we bought used. Toyota Land Cruiser is basically the same car. 8,500 towing capacity. 1,400 payload. I will say the MPG while towing really sucks (and frankly, the MPG while not towing sucks as well). Super comfy though. Something to consider at least.
bmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #39

CVT won’t hold up to pulling anything but a small utility trailer
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get a nicely equipped F150 with a tow PKG that'll work great for both daily driver and towing. I would look at the 3.5 ecoboost with The max towing PKG. It drives great as a daily driver and I have a 30 ft 5th wheel and it's not a problem towing even up grades.
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #41

40 years ago the government killed station wagons (read CAFE) and pushed big Americans into tiny Japanese sized sedans. To meet consumers demands manufacturers rejiggered trunks and Viola! Mini SUVs! And of course, everyone knows SUVs can pull big trailers. thousands of people who could get by with a half ton but would do better with an F-250 or 2500 think they can get by with a cute little Subaru. It's not all their fault. They are encouraged by crazy claims of towing capacities and commercials like the Toyota and the space shuttle. And I imagine several have seen that 48 ft long 50s something convertible pulling that 90 yard long travel trailer in the Lucille Ball movie, The Long Long Trailer. By the way, if you take a look at that setup it is really well done. The hookup is completely level. Wonder how they did that? chortle chortle
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #42

I was in the same boat recently. I work from home and barely drive, so I gave my Honda Fit to my nephew as a congratulations for getting into a great school with a great scholarship. I knew I wanted a camper and a tow vehicle, so I shopped for both at the same time. Similar to what you are doing which is very smart. I wanted that Subaru Accent SO BAD! It is a fine vehicle and perfect for a family of 4 plus dogs. However, I just could not find anything in that tow capacity when I looked at campers. The lowest weight I could find that suited my needs was the Grand Design Imagine XLS line. I do live in the deep south so popups aren't an option with the heat we experience. If you are looking at popups or hybrids then kudos to you if you live in a mild climate. I went with a GD Imagine XLS 21BHE weighing in at 4600 dry and a Jeep Gladiator Sport S with the Max Tow option (7650 lbs.). You want to add about 1,000 lbs. for gear. That puts me at about 73% of tow capacity. Every safety thing I read (I READ A LOT) mentioned different numbers, but I came to the conclusion that being less than or equal to 80% of tow capacity is the safest. AFter towing, I doubt I would go any higher. I really wanted the Subura Accent because of the panoramic sunroof. It was the next best thing to a convertible (I had an Audi convertible and have dreamed about a Mazda Miata for years, but they couldn't tow a bag of horse manure). The payload for the Accent just wouldn't work either. I highly suggest you take your family (kids included) to a dealership. Tell them you want to check out the model and spend some time in it to see if it is the right fit. If you can't handle the small space, then you should know that before buying a tow vehicle.
Spacecadet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow