Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2021, 12:03 AM   #155

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I did not go thru all the posts here, but has anyone ever seen this on-line calculator? Seems pretty interesting

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptraile...utionhitch.php
I took a quick peek and it is easy for me to determine the calculator you provided a link to is overly complicated. I did not take the time to test the accuracy.

One only needs to provide a minimum of four weights to calculate the realistic vehicle towing capacity of any vehicle. They are GCWR, GVWR, GVW, and TWR.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 04:34 AM   #156

When you read the threads on this forum, most people are asking advice about "can my car/truck tow this trailer?". Usually the question is being asked because they've been told by someone (RV Salesman) their vehicle if fine is you add a WD hitch. that The numbers you mention could be easily satisfied and still overweigh the TV's individual axel rating and understate tongue weight. It also accounts for wheelbase and ball to axel distance, which no one usually considers. This calculator takes a few minutes to get all the numbers for, but attempts to give the full picture. Of course nothing tells you how close to the edge you are like getting on the scales and driving in the wind with trucks blowing by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Dave View Post
I took a quick peek and it is easy for me to determine the calculator you provided a link to is overly complicated. I did not take the time to test the accuracy.

One only needs to provide a minimum of four weights to calculate the realistic vehicle towing capacity of any vehicle. They are GCWR, GVWR, GVW, and TWR.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #157

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
When you read the threads on this forum, most people are asking advice about "can my car/truck tow this trailer?". Usually the question is being asked because they've been told by someone (RV Salesman) their vehicle if fine is you add a WD hitch. that The numbers you mention could be easily satisfied and still overweigh the TV's individual axel rating and understate tongue weight. It also accounts for wheelbase and ball to axel distance, which no one usually considers. This calculator takes a few minutes to get all the numbers for, but attempts to give the full picture. Of course nothing tells you how close to the edge you are like getting on the scales and driving in the wind with trucks blowing by you.
If you used the calculator with your numbers, would please provide all the data numbers to me via private message? I would like to evaluate the calculator for accuracy and functionality against what I believe to be true.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:43 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDav View Post
Dave-

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply, I'm still digesting...
In the meantime I wonder what you thought about the following:
Interesting side note regarding towing specs out of the original “1998 Ram Pickup Owner’s Manual Cummins Turbo Diesel”:
In the “Towing Recommendations” section they list several vehicle setups ie 2500 vs 3500, reg cab vs club cab, manual tranny vs auto, 3.55 vs 4.10 rear end, 4 wd vs 2 wd, etc. with corresponding GVWR’s, GCWR’s, etc.
EVERY 2500 setup they list , whether 4wd vs 2wd, auto vs manual, Reg cab vs Club cab, etc. shows 8800 for a GVWR.
Except for MY SETUP: “2500 HD 4x2 Club Cab, Auto 4 speed OD HD w/3.55 rear” which is listed at 10,500 GVWR
( Even my setup “2500 HD 4x2 Club Cab, Auto 4 speed OD HD" w/4.10 rear is listed at 8800 )
It’s interesting to note that all the 3500 setups they list have a 10,500 GVWR.
Could my listing of a 10,500 GVWR be a misprint?
Your 10,500 seems more accurate to me than 8,800.

It seems you should be able tow more than 8,800 lbs 5er with a 3/4 ton diesel. That just seems too low (insert Wi Tu Lo joke).

Maybe call and talk to a commercial Highway Patrol and ask if there is a discrepancy between the sticker and the owners manual, which one is gospel. My guess is the sticker is.
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
Your 10,500 seems more accurate to me than 8,800.

It seems you should be able tow more than 8,800 lbs 5er with a 3/4 ton diesel. That just seems too low (insert Wi Tu Lo joke).

Maybe call and talk to a commercial Highway Patrol and ask if there is a discrepancy between the sticker and the owners manual, which one is gospel. My guess is the sticker is.
He's talking about GVWR not towing capacity; 8800 lbs GVWR seems right to me as that was the rating for my 2001 CTD Ram 2500 QC 4x4 and his is a 1998 (both Gen2's). Tow rating will be much, much higher

Dave
Old 08-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
He's talking about GVWR not towing capacity; 8800 lbs GVWR seems right to me as that was the rating for my 2001 CTD Ram 2500 QC 4x4 and his is a 1998 (both Gen2's). Tow rating will be much, much higher

Dave
I understand he is talking GVWR. But he is calculating his left over GVWR capacity to a max pin weight of 1,600 lbs, and then equating that to a max weight of a rig he can tow.
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #161

My mistake then, I took this:

It seems you should be able tow more than 8,800 lbs 5er with a 3/4 ton diesel.

to mean you were thinking the 8,800 lbs was the tow rating

Dave
Old 09-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #162

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
Easy way to chose your TV is to ask your RV salesperson. Then use this easy guide:
1. If sales person says a 1/2 ton is adequate, get a 2500HD diesel
2. If they say a 3/4 ton is adequate, get a 3500HD diesel
3. If they say you need a 1 ton, its time to talk to your local Frieghtliner dealer
Just change the 2500HD to an F250 and the 3500DH to an F350 and you'd be right on the money!

LOL
Maxxcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #163

I spent 22 years in the military and loved the old Square body CUCV pickups (Chevy). They were 1.25 ton trucks on a single rear wheel. The spring pack was what made this possible and these trucks were tough, if you could keep it running.... The modern srw 1 ton trucks properly outfitted will handle large rvs just fine. In Australia you can upgrade you truck components to increase its load capacity and be legal. In the great USA, corporate greed and lobbyists, have made this against the law. They want you to buy a new truck instead of being able to outfit your old truck to meet the task for a few thousand. Don't let ignorant people bring you down to their level!
to-camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by to-camp View Post
In the great USA, corporate greed and lobbyists have made this against the law. They want you to buy a new truck instead of being able to outfit your old truck to meet the task for a few thousand. Don't let ignorant people bring you down to their level!
Actually, no, it is not illegal to upgrade a truck in the great USA. The only thing that is almost impossible to change is the vehicle certification label weight ratings. Anyone can upgrade their vehicle to meet the needs of what they will be towing. In a handful of states, one may have to change their vehicle registration weight rating to the weight they intend to tow. In all other states, it does not matter as long as one has the correct driver's license classification. NHTSA does not have any enforcement in place.

This article provides some insight: The Truth about Altering Vehicle Weight Certification
Old 09-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #165

Winnebago Owners Club
I know a fellow who used to work for Peterbilt. They were especially careful when someone ordered a truck to spec it out properly. If not the testing and cost to recertify the specifications made it cheaper to buy a new truck.