Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #99

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood Pace Arrow tow vehicles.

Question: has anyone ever pulled (flat) a Jeep Liberty, Renegade? It is an 04 w/80k miles. Or....how about a 2008 Saturn Vue? We have a 03 Pace Arrow 37A, V10 Ford. Any input appreciated, even to the issues or problems w/ either vehicles???
Breval is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #100

Most RV sales people don't own and never owned an RV. Same goes for the tow vehicle salespeople. They are selling something they know nothing about. Very frustrating. I just traded my 1 year old 3.5 LTR Eco Boast F150 capable of towing 11,500LBS with alite suspension and low rear axle rating. Both the TV salesman and RV salesman told me it could pull anything up to 12,500lbs. Unfortunately I was uneducated at the time. I just bought a F250 to pull a maximum trailer weight of 9,735lbs. I hope I didn't make the same mistake twice.
bro61021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:43 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro61021 View Post
Most RV sales people don't own and never owned an RV. Same goes for the tow vehicle salespeople. They are selling something they know nothing about. Very frustrating. I just traded my 1 year old 3.5 LTR Eco Boast F150 capable of towing 11,500LBS with alite suspension and low rear axle rating. Both the TV salesman and RV salesman told me it could pull anything up to 12,500lbs. Unfortunately I was uneducated at the time. I just bought a F250 to pull a maximum trailer weight of 9,735lbs. I hope I didn't make the same mistake twice.

What are you towing? I would imagine at least with the F250 your payload increased substantially...
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwomack View Post
Easy way to chose your TV is to ask your RV salesperson. Then use this easy guide:
1. If sales person says a 1/2 ton is adequate, get a 3/4 ton
2. If they say a 3/4 ton is adequate, get a 1 ton
3. If they say you need a 1 ton, its time to talk to your local medium-duty dealer

Pretty much...
Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:28 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro61021 View Post
Yes, I see stuff like that all the time.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:29 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
I had one of those "1/2 ton towables", they must mean towing from the sales lot to home. Load up the bare necessities and it's time for a 3/4 ton.
You sound like a smart guy.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoenjoy View Post
so true - I handed the RV salesman my owners manual showing the capacity of my 2500 HD and he still tried to sell me a unit well over my limits ( and it was over on the dry weight ) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
Ha ha so true. RV salesman will tell you anything to sell you an rv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
At issue is the trailer sales are not required to inform you of the limitations. They should be.

If one dealer looks at your truck and says "Too Small" the buyer will likely move on where they will buy when the dealer says "No Problem".
Yup. Common problem.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:38 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Makes me wonder why so many folks are adamant they can tow trailers with the truck at or over capacity. "Tows just fine".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Dave View Post
Of course, it "tows just fine".

Maybe this article will shine some light: My Truck Pulls It Just Fine, Truck Buyers Beware
Bingo.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:44 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
..............whether towing Travel Trailer or 5th wheel, you will notice a substantial difference when towing with a Dually, it's much more stable and safe,JMHO. Good luck and travel safe.
david
Yes. I've towed with both, and there is a massive difference in handling and safety when comparing a dually to a single rear wheel truck.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #108

Newbie here. Tow vehicle required?

Just purchased a 35' travel trailer. Weight about 8500lbs empty. I'm looking at a F350 with a diesel that was bullet proofed. Is this too much truck? Do I need a weight distribution hitch system? Leaving for the south after Christmas! Thanks for any information! Matt and Debi!
Matt.debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.debi View Post
Just purchased a 35' travel trailer. Weight about 8500lbs empty. I'm looking at a F350 with a diesel that was bullet proofed. Is this too much truck? Do I need a weight distribution hitch system? Leaving for the south after Christmas! Thanks for any information! Matt and Debi!
Definitely not too much towing capacity, and that is a personal matter on wanting such a large tow vehicle.

My trailer is 37ft, 8,400 dry with the second a/c in the bedroom, and I opted for a F 150 HDPP as a tow vehicle that wasn't too much of a compromise as a larger vehicle, but met all capacities for the rig and allows for safe and comfortable towing.

Not sure about the WD necessity for the setup.
Maury82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #110

i just found this forum and appears to have a LOT of great info.
Trailer purchase is still several years away but, i've looked into it twice and get more confused everytime. We've got a 17 RAM 1500 Quad cab 4x4, wife wants a 5th wheel but, I don't want to buy a new truck.

Confusing yet, 5th Wheel street doesn't have options for 4x4 and such.
My truck dealer looked up on some magic RAM site and says 9,930 on a hitch or 10,300 on a 5th wheel. The RAM site (by VIN) shows 1,360 for payload and 9,930 max tow.
5th Wheel street shows heavier conventional then 5th wheel.

Is there any "real", easy way to figure this out?
boydn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #111

Location: Recently moved to Arkansas and set my RV on my 25 acres until my new house is built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydn1 View Post
i just found this forum and appears to have a LOT of great info.
Trailer purchase is still several years away but, i've looked into it twice and get more confused everytime. We've got a 17 RAM 1500 Quad cab 4x4, wife wants a 5th wheel but, I don't want to buy a new truck.

Confusing yet, 5th Wheel street doesn't have options for 4x4 and such.
My truck dealer looked up on some magic RAM site and says 9,930 on a hitch or 10,300 on a 5th wheel. The RAM site (by VIN) shows 1,360 for payload and 9,930 max tow.
5th Wheel street shows heavier conventional then 5th wheel.

Is there any "real", easy way to figure this out?
Yes, there is an easy way to figure it out. There is an app called RV Tow Check that can assist you in discovering the realistic vehicle towing capacity.

However, I can tell you up front that no Ram 1500 can safely tow without exceeding the weight safety rating of most any 5th wheel trailer. That is the reason it is best for towing conventional trailers. There is only one 1/2 ton truck that can safely tow a small number of the very lightest 5th wheel trailers and that one is a very explicitly equipped Ford F150
Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Dave View Post
Of course, it "tows just fine".

Maybe this article will shine some light: My Truck Pulls It Just Fine, Truck Buyers Beware

This story is still there just in a different place.

https://www.escapees.com/my-truck-pu...buyers-beware/
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote