Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #1

Tow vehicle too small?

I've been reading several posts and am starting to confirm my concern that my tow vehicle is too small for my trailer. I'd like some opinions from the experts to better understand if I have a problem or if my setup is OK. Here is what I have:

2008 Ford F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, SRW with airbags
2008 Keystone Raptor 3712ts

Specs on the Raptor per the factory are:

Dry Weight: 12,745
Hitch Weight: 2,840
Payload: 3,755

Most I've ever hauled in the back are a few dirt bikes and a quad.

My concern now is that I should have gone with an F450. I love the 350 and it pulls the trailer fine, but I would really appreciate any input on this.

Thank you.
Wiley870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

Hello Wiley, and a huge

From your figures your Raptor has a GVW of 15,500 lbs, and a calculated hitch weight of 22%(3,410#). Locate the trucks towing capacity, GVW, curb-weight-loaded as ready to go camping including all passengers. Use those figures and this Tow Vehicle/Trailer Calculations Demonstrator to accurately determine if your truck has the capacity to safely handle the trailer weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #3

Here's the info you need....

2008 Ford Super Duty F250 F350 Technical Specifications
Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
From your figures your Raptor has a GVW of 15,500 lbs....
12,745 lbs + 3,755 lbs = 16,500 lbs GVWR

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley870 View Post
I've been reading several posts and am starting to confirm my concern that my tow vehicle is too small for my trailer. I'd like some opinions from the experts to better understand if I have a problem or if my setup is OK. Here is what I have:

2008 Ford F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, SRW with airbags
2008 Keystone Raptor 3712ts

Specs on the Raptor per the factory are:

Dry Weight: 12,745
Hitch Weight: 2,840
Payload: 3,755

Most I've ever hauled in the back are a few dirt bikes and a quad.

My concern now is that I should have gone with an F450. I love the 350 and it pulls the trailer fine, but I would really appreciate any input on this.

Thank you.
The numbers you are siting are pretty much useless to the discussion at hand.
Load the truck up like you normally travel and go to the scales. Then hitch the trailer up and do it again. Don't forget water in the tanks etc. Based on these two numbers you will know for certain what you have. Until then all is only a wild guess.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #6

All those factory numbers are pie in the sky, and mean nothing. The tow capacity of ANY vehicle is the GCWR of the TV minus the weight of the TV when ready to tow.

With a 5th wheel you also must consider the pin weight. To start, look at the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left side of the chassis, it will give you the total cargo capacity of the truck when it left the factory...to the nearest one pound.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote